Total Pageviews

Monday, January 10, 2011

Raw Thoughts- 1/10/11

We start tonight's Raw with a Nexus beatdown of a different kind, as Michael McGillicutty has to be "initiated' into the new group. I'm not sure I like this. I guess Punk's never heard that "even evil has standards". But I guess the point is to get him over as a cruel, brutal leader as effectively as possible. It just seems kind of self-defeating for them to beat each other up. We'll see where this goes as the night goes on...

Alberto Del Rio continues to be golden as a future World Champion. Nice use of Rodriguez here. I didn't really like the Mariachi part, though.

I've mostly been entertained by Michael Cole's heel character, but I think they spent too much time on the announcers here.

I'm thinking tonight's the night that Justin Gabriel goes face and quits Nexus. Though I suppose there's no proof that I wrote this at 9:37 instead of after Raw. It's never easy seeing someone get whipped with a leather strap. Ouch. Maybe all of Nexus except Otunga turns tonight?

Another Smackdown cameo. I like that they're pushing Smackdown and the Rumble at the same time as pushing the Nexus angle (which has led to a ton of new merchandise). I don't think I've ever seen this kind of "initiation" done.

I think Morrison vs. Sheamus should get more build than it got. At least a pre-match promo by Morrison following his WWE Title match last week. At least it got 2 segments. Solid match and hopefully the win means that Morrison won't be lost in the shuffle in the near future.

This Nexus storyline is just crazy at this point. Not necessarily in a bad way. It's almost like it's the work of a mole trying to bring Nexus down.

Generally speaking, I think WWE should wait a few years after someone retires for them to go into the Hall of Fame, but Shawn Michaels certainly deserves to go in. He's without a doubt one of the all-time greats. I hope that he gets his wish of having Bret Hart induct him. That'd be amazing.

So much for an all-WCW or Atlanta-themed Hall of Fame, although the others could fit that theme.

Despite being Superkicked, Alberto Del Rio might actually have been elevated by being in a segment with Shawn Michaels. Maybe this leads to Del Rio taking on Michaels' best friend Triple H at Mania? I'm not so sure that I'd go that route.

The Miz continues to earn his WWE Title push.

I guess Slater and Gabriel are officially out of Nexus? Again, what an odd angle. But interesting.

They're already pulling the trigger on Punk vs. Cena next week? I guess maybe they want to do that match before his possible surgery. But if he doesn't need surgery, I'd wait until the week before the Rumble. Then have Cena and Nexus in the Rumble itself.

I'm really not into the idea of Jerry Lawler beating Miz and Riley again. Lawler's still a heck of a worker for 61, but I think it would have been better for him to take the loss here. Miz and Riley could use some momentum going up against Orton. I can't complain too much though because it came after Riley took an RKO and Miz was being kept from interfering.

That's it for Raw. I'll be back tomorrow for coverage of NXT.

No comments:

Post a Comment