Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thoughts on Superstars and Impact- 1/6/11

I usually don't have too much to say about Superstars, while Impact always has some things I feel that I need to comment on. Remember, I don't comment on everything on the show. We'll see how that plays out this week in my first blog post on the two shows.

Tyler Reks could be one to look out for in 2011. I liked him during his (WWE) ECW run, but he's definitely improved his ringwork since then. Maybe he can team with Chavo as "serious" challengers to the Tag Team Champions. Not that JTG wasn't good as well.


I really enjoy both Yoshi Tatsu and Zack Ryder. Raw's so crowded that we don't get to see too much of them. It seems like I'm always thinking that someone should go over to Smackdown and get a better push, but that obviously wouldn't work for everyone.

I liked Impact's opening segment for setting up matches later in the night, making them seem like a fairly big deal. Then of course, the heels get to dominate before RVD makes the save. Less is more. Save it for the match.

I liked Bully Ray's promo, but TNA's stupid camera-work came in to play again. I get what they're going for, but it just looks cheesy. Yes, it's different from how other wrestling shows are portrayed, but that doesn't make it good. I don't complain about much in wrestling, but the "documentary" type stuff TNA tries could be my biggest pet peeve. For the record, I wouldn't like it if WWE did it either. It takes (at least some of) your focus off of the wrestler and onto the camera work.

I find Jeff Jarrett's MMA character hilarious, and a pretty solid hypocritical chicken-sh*t heel. He gets some great heat. Putting Kurt Angle's return match/exhibition on PPV with only 3 days notice (on TV) isn't a good strategy, but I liked the swerve in this case. They could have built up to Angle's appearance better I think, all things considered.

Hopefully AJ's continued losing streak means that after Genesis he'll get a fresh start as a babyface. This guy has been tagged as the future of wrestling for years; maybe in 2011 that'll actually come true. The segment with Bischoff and Flair would have been better if, again, the camera wasn't so jerky. It's like they TRY to make it distracting. It's apparently supposed to be like a random bystander happens to have a camera there at that moment. Cameramen in wrestling shouldn't be portrayed any differently from any other entertainment/reality show. It's not broken. Don't try to fix it. I've made my point on it, so I won't dwell on how bad it is much.

D'Angelo Dinero and Samoa Joe, two characters who are neither full-fledged face or heel. Having a character or two like this every once in a while I can deal with, but TNA currently has them and Mr. Anderson and Matt Morgan. Probably a few more. Also, neither of these two are on the PPV, which is Sunday. Start their program next week or the one after.

The Knockouts match was a mess. I'm not a fan of Madison Rayne's screeches and moves at all.

How did Bischoff or RVD not see the cameraman? If you want to be "realistic" with it, be realistic with it. Devon was just talking to a cameraman. Be consistent. My guess for RVD's opponent on Sunday is either Abyss or Matt Hardy, though I can see a swerve with it being a former ECW wrestler.

I like how they kept Ray and Devon mostly apart tonight, so they didn't "give away" too much between them. Nice setup for Devon to potentially get revenge on Sunday.

I didn't really care for the Abyss/Lethal/Kazarian segment. A good deal of that has to do with the fact that Lethal has beaten Angle and Flair in the past, so he shouldn't look THIS weak against Abyss. Especially when Abyss isn't even set for a match at the PPV. Maybe I'm nitpicking that part. Kazarian's still not good promo, though.

Mr. Anderson didn't make me want to see him wrestle to become #1 Contender. He didn't even make me want to see Matt Morgan beat him in the ring. He made me want to push the mute button. That's not what an effective heel does.

That's pretty much all I have to say about Impact. I'm very glad that there wasn't a Reaction this week because 3 hours of TNA (and 4 hours of total wrestling) in a row is a serious drain. I know I was pretty critical of Impact this week, but I don't want to come off as a TNA hater or WWE mark. Hopefully it's already or will become apparent that no matter what show or company it is, if it's bad I'll pan it, and if it's good I won't. That being said I generally prefer WWE. Although there have been times in the past where I've thought TNA was better, so maybe that'll happen in the future. But for now, I'll close this chapter. I'll be back tomorrow with Smackdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment