Total Pageviews

Monday, January 3, 2011

Raw Thoughts- 1/3/11

Here's my first "TV show thoughts" column. I generally only comment on things that I either really like or really dislike, so as to not weigh down the blog with "such and such match was ok" or "there's not much to say about such and such". Miz vs. Morrison was a PPV worthy WWE Title match. Kudos to both men. These two are REALLY close to making at as consistent main eventers. That glass ceiling is really showing some serious cracks for them, and I'm glad WWE is giving them the chance to shine. I also have my fingers crossed that they aren't just being set up as fodder for a Triple H, John Cena, or Sheamus.

The Phoenix crowd was hot all night, which is always a good thing. A good crowd can really improve a show, and a bad crowd can bring it down.

Well, at least the Usos got the win. WWE really needs to get behind either them or Chavo and a partner as challengers to Santino and Kozlov some time soon. Otherwise everyone's just kind of milling around. I guess they could do a triple threat, but I don't see that working as well. And the Usos really need to get a chance to speak out about the whole Tamina situation. They can't be pleased that she left their side.

WWE's already pushing Tough Enough. I'd be rather surprised if they kept two shows with such similar purposes as Tough Enough and NXT.

I really like Alberto Del Rio, but I think WWE should keep Smackdown stars on Smackdown most of the time, especially as thin as their roster is getting. That being said, I really enjoyed his match with R-Truth. Both men looked good in it. I wouldn't mind R-Truth heading over to Smackdown to freshen up their main event scene.

STELLAR cage match to close the show. All three of these guys belong at the main event level. I think Miz vs. Orton will be a pretty solid match. Part of me wants to see Morrison in there as well so he doesn't get lost in the shuffle below main event level, but I'm fine with either.

I hope they don't plan on turning Wade Barrett face. A heel trying to get back at Punk and Nexus is fine. Unless he makes a "Wolfpac" to face Nexus with say Darren Young, Daniel Bryan, Michael Tarver, and Skip Sheffield. I'd normally be against that idea because it would/will crowd Raw. BUT, I think the end goal should be that once the draft hits (or through some action by the Raw GM), Nexus and other NXT alumni get fairly evenly distributed from Raw and Smackdown. In other words, if they want Justin Gabriel or Darren Young or someone else they think can be used better than as a heel on Raw on Smackdown they can do it. I don't want them to have brought up that many wrestlers and have most of them end up back in FCW or released when the angle's over. It happened with the Spirit Squad, and it might happen here. Although they treat Nexus as more important and as a group with more potential than that group. So maybe a Nexus/NXT civil war would lead to them all (or some of them) getting a shot as singles stars and making Raw less crowded in the process.

John Cena I picture either being caught in the middle of (and maybe encouraging) this civil war or just facing Punk. I don't think he has to be aligned with this proposed Barrett group. We'll find out where this is going next week.

That's it for Raw. I'll be back tomorrow for a look at NXT with its first elimination.

No comments:

Post a Comment