Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 8, 2011

TNA Genesis preview

Tonight I have another first for this blog: a preview of a pay-per-view. For these, I look at what I think should happen at the event. In other words, what I would book if I was in charge of the creative team for that show. Tonight, I look at the card for TNA Genesis.

One caveat before I begin: I'm not necessarily listing these in the order that I'd put them on. While that's somewhat important on a wrestling show, I don't want to do go to THAT much detail for the sake of what is in a way the wrestling equivalent of fanfiction. (I don't mean that as an insult to fanfiction, for the record. I'm just saying that this is just an outline and not a submission for every little thing that should happen on the show. Also, I won't be saying how long each match should go. I don't like fantasy booking THAT much.)

Disclaimers out of the way, let's get this show on the road:

Madison Rayne vs. Mickie James- TNA Knockouts' Championship: I think that this feud has pretty much run its course. Mickie should go over clean. Madison gets her rematch in 2 weeks on Impact, and then we move on to Mickie vs. Tara for the title.

Jay Lethal vs. Kazarian- TNA X-Division Championship: Lethal hasn't been champion very long, and I'm not a big fan of Kazarian, so I think Lethal should surprise Kazarian here and retain. Kazarian goes on to get tips backstage on being a better heel on the mic in the next month, and possibly wins at Against All Odds with or without the help of Abyss or Rob Terry. My main concern here is that Lethal doesn't get totally buried by Immortal, and they have to start building him as a credible babyface AGAIN. Plus, he just went through a feud with Robbie E, so he needs a boost. Flair could defend Kazarian (and maybe talk for him) for not winning the title so he doesn't get kicked from Immortal. Remember, Flair couldn't beat Lethal either.

Motor City Machine Guns vs. Beer Money- TNA Tag Team Championship: I'm really burned out on these two feuding, and I think Beer Money needs something to freshen them up. BUT, with the TNA Tag Team Division in the shape it's in, Beer Money's the only real heel tag team (besides Generation Me) so my hands are kind of tied here. I say Beer Money wins, then faces either Ink, Inc. or Eric Young and Orlando Jordan. Maybe Amazing Red and his "brother" can become a team too, just so we don't have to go back to this feud any time soon.

Brother Devon vs. Bully Ray: This could be the feud with the most life in it. These two have teamed together for well over a decade, and have never feuded with each other. There's a lot of history to be mined here. I think Devon should get the win, then Ray attacks him as he's celebrating it. If the feud continues (which in this scenario it would), TNA should get cameos from some ECW alumni with history with these two to make the feud seem even more serious. Brother Runt in particular should be trying to break up a fight between his two long-time partners. I'm not saying they should go all out with a lot of old ECW guys (especially since we're not too far removed from Hardcore Justice), but since they can't show footage of ECW events, this could be the best way to get over their history.

Douglas Williams vs. AJ Styles- TNA Television Championship. If AJ loses, he leaves Fortune and Immortal:  Time for AJ to turn back face, I think. Williams wins a solid match, and the rest of Immortal takes out AJ afterward.

Rob Van Dam vs. ???: For anyone thinking that this could be when Matt Hardy debuts for TNA, I think it's possible but I don't think there's been any talk about it. It'd be a nice surprise though. Barring that, there are a number of options. I think maybe you go with Rob Terry here in a further attempt to "earn his stripes" with Immortal. I'm aware that that wouldn't be a 5-star match, but it would further solidify Terry as a member of Immortal. RVD wins (but Terry still looks somewhat strong), because this feud really needs to move on.

Jeff Jarrett vs. Kurt Angle- Double J Double M A challenge: No reason for Jarrett to win this one, because I think this feud's pretty much run its course. Angle eventually traps Jarrett after fighting off his MMA cronies, and Jarrett taps. Jarrett's understandably P.O.'d in the future from his plans going awry.

Matt Morgan vs. Mr. Anderson- #1 Contendership to the TNA World Heavyweight Championship: Matt Morgan wins via Carbon Footprint to the back of Anderson's injured head. Where we go from there depends on if Jeff Hardy is able to make it to Against All Odds.

That's it for this booking exercise. I'll do the Royal Rumble when it comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment