Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Superstars and Impact Thoughts- 1/13/11

It's Thursday again, so I've got 3 hours of wrestling to cover. Starting with WWE Superstars.

It looks like they're keeping the streak of "filler matches with random superstars" alive as we start with JTG and Chris Masters against Chavo Guerrero and Curt Hawkins. The wrestling on this show is usually solid, but at theh end of the day a lot of it is meaningless in the grand scheme of WWE.

Read on for more Superstars thoughts, and a look at this week's TNA Impact.

Masters beats Chavo with the Master Lock, which makes sense because Chavo's the one least likely to be used in any significant fashion any time soon.

Still no AJ in Primo's corner. I'm just going to assume they forgot about that plot point at this point. In a way, that's a good thing. If AJ's tied to Primo and he's not getting much TV time, that means that she doesn't get much either.

I really enjoyed the main event. Seven solid young talents with bright futures showing what they can do. Was it a 5-star match? No. Do they need more experience? Yes. But it was good, and they're all headed in the right direction.

And then, we get to Impact. Starting off on the wrong foot with Mr. Anderson talking about crapping and crayons. Really now. And then we get him attacking WWE. Funny how he leaves out the injuries and Wellness Policy violations. If WWE is responsible for making sure that we didn't get the kind of promos Anderson does in TNA, then I'd like to thank them. I don't think I ever considered him World Champion potential in WWE. He had opportunities to get to that level, but the stars never aligned.

I hope for TNA's sake that they've already taped the February 3rd match between Anderson and Hardy, given the latter's court date next week.

I like the idea of hyping 4 weeks of title matches. Could be a nice boost for Impact.

The Machine Guns do their innovative moves again, and we get something a little different from the previous matches with these teams. I'm not crazy about the idea of them splitting up. They'll be lost in the shuffle as singles stars I think.

Another poorly acted "documentary" shot segment.

So, Pope goes from trying to defend his actions to making fat jokes about Joe in one week flat. At least now we theoretically know he's heel. Pope has amazing body language and facial expressions for the record.

How did RVD and Anderson not see the camera person? If you're going to point out that there's a cameraman there with the shaky camera, you can't have the wrestlers ignore them and expect us to take it seriously.

Karen spilling dirt on her ex-husband? That has potential.

Jimmy Hart cameo in the back! He gets tourists from the park at Universal Studios to get into Impact.

The story of Angelina Love and crazy Winter continues. I actually like this storyline. Both play their roles really well. This is really the only reason to keep the Knockouts Tag Team Titles.

What is supposed to be in Rayne's glove? I've heard of the old "Coal Miner's Glove (on a pole) match" that it's possibly a reference to but I'm not sure what they're implying that's what she's loading it with. It's a clever idea, but they should explain what she's doing to make the glove lethal.

If RVD and Anderson are hunting down Immortal tonight, why didn't they go after Terry and Abyss when they were beating up Morgan? It could have led right into the main event.

"They" again? At least they're building to February 3rd with Hulk Hogan, the title match, and this angle. So what's it going to mean this time? Count me as interested. (Yes, I'm aware that I can check the spoilers, but that's not really my style and I can react to things as they unfold this way). I'm particularly curious as to what the heck Amazing Red's brother has to do with it.

This has got to be the least-hyped Hardy Boys reunion in history. What's the deal with Matt's dreads? And entrance video for that matter. The Hardys looked kind of spent here.

Surely there was someone who'd at least attempt to help RVD and Anderson against Immortal? Where were Douglas Williams and Jay Lethal? I was kind of under the impression that the faces were going to band together against Immortal, but I guess that could be what the new "They" storyline is leading to. If so, they could have set the stage for it better the last few weeks and months.

That's all for me to rant on tonight. I'll be back tomorrow for Smackdown headlined by Big Show vs. Wade Barrett.

No comments:

Post a Comment