Total Pageviews

Monday, January 31, 2011

WWE Royal Rumble thoughts- 1/30/11

Read on for my thoughts on the WWE Royal Rumble!

Normally, I'd be against starting the show with a World Title match, but since there are only 4 matches tonight and the Divas' Title match is kind of a "buffer" match between 2 bigger ones, I can see why they did it. Obviously the Rumble should be last.

Vickie was good at getting us right into the show.

Nice to see Edge pull out the Edgecator ("educator", the Sharpshooter move) for the first time in a while.

Why Kelly Kelly instead of Kaitlyn here? Maybe she's trying to be more like Drew McIntyre?

Pretty good match here. Ziggler didn't look weak at all. I hope he doesn't just disappear back into the midcard after this.

The WWE Title match wasn't well done. They keep trying to make Miz look like a total fluke. I can get him winning with some interference, but they made him look too weak by needing THAT much of it. I'm not saying he should just totally win clean a lot, but they can tone it down a bit. Fortunately Miz is good enough to make up for it in the weeks after being misbooked like this.

I'm thinking Punk vs. Orton is where we're going here for the WWE Title at WrestleMania. Good.

I hate when wrestling promotions pull something out of nowhere like with the Divas' Title match. It's nice for a surprise sometimes, but there better be some good follow-up here. Why Eve? Not that I dislike her, but it just seemed kind of random.

Interesting start to the Rumble.

The kind of chaos this match brings (even without the pre-match beatdown) is awesome.

Morrison's spot was awesome. A heck of a worker he is.

And here's the return of The Great Khali. At least it was a good moment. Mason Ryan's insanely powerful.

Applause for the return of Booker T.. Also a nice spot. I love the Rumble for stuff like this.

Hornswoggle has a few fun moments as well. He's good in brief doses like this. And of course it makes Sheamus and Punk look like jerks beating up the little guy.

D... Diesel? Interesting. He was talked out of returning last year as this gimmick, but I think he's looking for one last run. Surely he didn't dye his hair for one guest spot? I have more hope in WWE using him right than TNA, but I'm still wary of Nash wrestling in 2011. We'll see how it goes. Pretty sure Nash and Big Show wrestled in WCW over 10 years ago. That's either a nice flashback or a "really, they're going there again?" depending on who you are.

Ezekiel Jackson got his big moment here as well by eliminating Big Show. That's how you use older stars.

Cena and Miz feuding... not so crazy about that one given how it went last time.

Santino had good strategy there. He seems kind of an odd one to make that connection. Glad that Del Rio won instead of him though. Del Rio as winner could work. I really like him, but I'm still a tad bit wary of him getting THAT big of a push. I think it will likely turn out well for him. He definitely has the mic skills and I think they know what to do in pushing him. His name is Alberto Del Rio, and he's headlining WrestleMania.

Mostly solid show. I'll be back tomorrow with coverage of the post-Rumble Raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment