Total Pageviews

Friday, January 21, 2011

Smackdown Thoughts- 1/21/11

Tonight we see the aftermath of the attack on Big Show by Wade Barrett's new faction. In fact, they're starting the show!

 After the bump, my thoughts on the show:

I like The Core. Not really a name I'd choose but it plays well off of Nexus. I really think they've got some good potential. Barrett's solid on the mic as usual, Ezekiel's really improved on the mic since I last heard him, and Justin Gabriel's doing better than I'd have expected after NXT. He plays his heel role well after being seemingly set to be a babyface. Heath Slater's still not a good promo however. And he doesn't seem like a One Man Rock Band by any stretch. I liked that they introduced them individually and showed their names so that people who didn't watch Raw or NXT can better get to know them.

Alberto Del Rio seems really comfortable in his heel role, which is good.

I wonder if we'll get a swerve and that The Core really didn't attack Long. I also wonder when we'll see Core merchandise. It should be distinct from Nexus' I think. In other words, not just a C in a block. Anyway, I don't think it was Dolph Ziggler, though it's possible. Vickie works with Long so it made sense that they'd be there. But I could see it as a ploy for Vickie to get power. Maybe an alliance between Vickie, Dolph, and the Core? (Hey, this is RAMBLINGS about wrestling. I go on tangents sometimes)

I know that some will be upset that they cut away from Del Rio vs. Truth, but if Bud Selig was found unconscious at a game, I think it'd make sense to cut away from the game for an update. Nice touch with some of the Smackdown stars looking on as their boss was taken away in an ambulance.

WWE's camera-work has been moving towards the "shakiness" we see with TNA, but the effect is mostly subtle and they don't do all the dumb zooming in and out. I hope they don't go any further towards TNA's direction.

Nice push of the numbers package by WWE. It's very well done as always.

I liked Rey vs. Rhodes. Rhodes continues to move above the midcard.

I'm a fan of Miz and A-Ri and all, but they need to have a reason to be on Smackdown. There's a reason there are two brands and two World Titles.

"Dashing" Cody Rhodes having to wear something on his nose (like Joey Mercury's face mask from years back) has potential to be hilarious and really give him something to be upset about. I like this.

I know what you're thinking. This is just a rip-off of TNA's MMA challenges. Not really. There's some similarity, but I don't think they just looked at Impact and said "oh hey, let's do that". Also, there are no fans involved, it's not MMA, it's timed, and there's no money involved. Either way, this seemed like filler. I think they could have built this up better and announced what the rules were on the house mic so the crowd would have an idea of what was going on. The scoring on-screen was confusing as well. The only good to come of this was that Swagged eked by and Kofi laid him out.

I'm liking this Baretta/McIntyre feud. I'd like Baretta to look a little stronger though. He has potential as a fight from behind babyface. And/or maybe he's the gentlemen/nice guy that Kelly ends up with, which sends McIntyre over the edge? Either way, I'm intrigued.

The Miz and A-Ri are on Smackdown to push the match with Edge on Monday's Raw. That slipped my mind obviously. They don't look out of place in there with Edge. WWE's done a good job of not having his opponents make him look unimportant in promos. Contrast this with some of Triple H's promos in the past.

Good job pushing Raw as well. Impact should end with something that promotes the next show more often.

I like The Core... umm Corre's music, but I don't think it really fits them. I don't know why they called it The Corre unless the normal spelling's already copyrighted. Dolph Ziggler on commentary to push the feud with Edge is smart. Four commentators is too many though.

Dastardly jackals The Corre cheat and then dominate the babyface before he faces another dishonorable heel in 9 days. Booking 101. It works. TNA overdoes it though, because the heels are TOO dominant and there are too many of them. Also, their babyfaces don't look credible enough at times.

Nice ending with Ziggler standing over Edge. I would have like it if Vickie came in with the title and Ziggler held it triumphantly but maybe that's for next week. Ziggler looks like he has a chance against Edge. He's still the underdog, but they're not treating him as a midcarder getting a main event title shot.

That's all for this week's Smackdown. I'll be back Monday for Raw, headlined by WWE Champion The Miz vs. World Heavyweight Champion Edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment