Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Raw Reax - 12/2/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.
Pretty good opening segment. I like the slimy ways of The Authority. They work pretty well as corrupt officials.

WHOA!! A feud where the IC Title is treated as important!! The day is finally here.

Sandow vs. Ziggler was pretty nice. I'm glad their feud has some meaning now.

Sandow vs. Big E could be pretty interesting. The post-match was a nice, simple setup for their match.

The in-ring action of the Divas match was good. I'm a big AJ fan, but I think they're kind of running out of things for her character to do.

I think it's time for a new Divas' Champion, so we can shake things up a bit. The story of AJ as champ has gone about as far as it can.

I like Wade Barrett, but I'm not really feeling that persona. It's kind of stupid, really. He's better than that.

Interesting stuff with Orton and Maddox. It's almost like Orton's something of a babyface in this feud (which doesn't automatically make Cena a heel.)

I liked Rowan vs. Bryan. The Wyatt Family gimmick continues to have legs.

That was a REALLY weird promo from Bray. I'm glad he's got an interesting character, though.

It's still kind of weird to see Kane in his current role, even though I've seen him without his mask a lot by now. WWE has set up two scenarios for babyfaces to overcome the odds at TLC.  I have a feeling that even if Punk and Bryan go over clean, they won't get the same criticism that Cena would if he beat three men by himself.

Nice little tag match to continue the journey of Xavier Woods. He's doing well so far.

Interesting post-match. Clay vs. Tensai probably wouldn't be a barnburner of a match, but it could be interesting from a story perspective.

Did Del Rio get Zeb Colter's promo by mistake? That was kind of weird.

Del Rio vs. Sin Cara was pretty good. I've got to say I'm surprised Del Rio just lost to someone who hasn't been on TV much, since Del Rio was recently in the World Title picture. WWE's booking is a mess sometimes.

I wonder how many newer fans were wondering what the heck Cena was talking about with the World Title being bigger in the South (referring to the old WCW Title). A lot of people (myself included) consider the World Title a separate entity from WCW.

Nice Shield promo.

Goldust is a completely refreshed performer. I'm blown away with him keeping up with the younger guys. A pretty good match overall, though I'm getting a little bored of Big Show again. Punk watching from backstage was a nice touch to sell the match at TLC.

That was a good promo from Punk. He's refreshing to hear.

Ehhh... Not really crazy about the new Barrett character. It feels almost like a rib.

Kofi's going to trust Miz after what happened last time?

Fine little tag match, though realistically I don't see any of these characters doing much of anything for the near future.

Hahahaha. The Miz/Kofi feud continues. Both guys could use some kind of character refreshment. It feels like they haven't changed in a good while.

Good little squash match. What are Mark Henry and Big Show doing at TLC? They're two of WWE's most important stars and they're just kind of... there right now.

Well, they did it. They finally had a Zeb Colter promo I didn't enjoy. Damn it, WWE.

The resulting tag match was actually pretty solid other than the storyline connected to it. There were some solid workers in there.

I mostly liked the ending segment, with the historical references involved and the HHH ego-stroking. Then we went right into the usual fired-up Cena promo and the usual ending to a contract signing. I don't like when they have too much carnage before a gimmick match. It desensitizes people to the weapons shots in the actual gimmick match and makes it harder for that match to live up to the hype. The goal should be to get people to anticipate seeing most of the carnage at the PPV itself.

More wrestling coming up!

6 comments:

  1. I would definitely consider Sin Cara's win one of the biggest surprises of the year, even in December. Aside from the fact that Sin Cara hasn't even been booked well the past year, I've heard rumblings about WWE not considering renewing his contract and that Hunico was the one who competed against Del Rio Monday. If anyone wasn't sold on Del Rio being undervalued, that match was a great example to convince virtually any one.

    What do you see amounting from Bryan and Punk's feuds? I gather that since both are placed in 3-on-1 handicap matches at the upcoming pay-per-view, WWE wants to keep in fans' minds that Triple H and the "authority" are still sticking it to both. That being said, how can Bryan and Punk compete 3-on-1 and still come out looking strong? Something conspicuous will definitely coalesce.

    By the way, I used to be a fan of how WWE was outlined about two years ago. Even the lower card guys (Hawkins, Reks, JTG) would be featured in some capacity each week. Now, NXT has changed and Superstars and Main Event have both been more of a showcase for the mid/upper card guys to shine. Guys like Otunga haven't even had a match in eight months, as you mentioned! I'm personally not a fan of it with Raw being three hours now and with many talented guys being overlooked, so what is your take on this current state?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original Sin Cara could indeed be on his way out, with Hunico replacing him for now. The original is pretty much in the doghouse for the time being, but remains under contract and they could bring him back to the role if they chose. WWE likes the character for merchandising purposes. With Rey's clock ticking, they need the character to do well and that might mean getting fully behind the Hunico version.

    I see the Punk and Bryan feuds being kind of "filler" before we get to Mania season, when they'll presumably be put into bigger roles. Punk and Bryan just need to put up a believable fight to stay strong, though obviously a win or something would propel them further. I can see their angles merging into a bigger story for the Royal Rumble match.

    It's kind of two separate issues for me: the new NXT is made for getting the talents in developmental more ready for the main roster. They do make use of some lower-card performers there in a similar way to past seasons without the "Pro/Rookie" dynamic. It's kind of its own self-contained league with champions and such.

    I'm definitely not crazy about the move to combine both brands and feature the same performers so often. It can burn out everyone involved (talent, fans and creative). WWE hit the panic button to try to keep ratings up as they negotiate new contracts for Raw and Smackdown. Numbers for the shows haven't been stellar lately.

    It's kind of a vicious cycle where WWE needs new performers to become bigger deals, but doesn't give them much screen time to do so. Hopefully as HHH becomes more in-control, things will improve. He's really done good stuff with NXT (a lot of new talent being spotlighted in simple, straightforward stories with a minimum of comedy), so hopefully the same philosophy will take hold on the other shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was scrolling through clips and stumbled upon this. I was cracking up at it. Now, I can see how WWE would be high on Orton (he has the look, aggression, and pedigree) but being an 11-time World Champion at a relatively young age of 33 is a bit much considering his weaknesses. Violating the drug policy twice and being a bit boring at times when giving promos and interviews definitely makes me understand why others think he's a bit overrated and why WWE may put him on a pedestal a bit. Check this out here. I've rarely seen this happen and it shouldn't happen to someone who has been World Champion 11 times.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VbNaIprBPk

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a number of issues at play here:
    - Having two top titles and more PPVs than in years past makes it more likely for someone to have a higher number of World Title reigns. There are talents today who probably wouldn't have held a top title if there was just one champion and less TV time to fill every month.

    - Orton's personal issues are definitely a concern, but he seems to have mellowed out in recent years now that he has a family. Hopefully he doesn't hit strike 3 or have another serious issue.

    - I can kind of see the "boring" criticism, but it's mainly because of his voice and delivery. He's got pretty much every thing out down pat.

    - I think there's a difference between overrated and overpushed. If anything, I think a lot of fans and online critics underrate Orton (along with a number of other heavily-pushed talents) because it seems like they automatically take points off for a talent being pushed a lot and for going into the "Five Moves of Doom" pattern. I personally think that's a silly criticism. It's like cracking on a popular band for playing their most well-known and popular tracks a lot. If a performer's signature moves bring a big reaction from the crowd, I don't see why they should be changed up. But I digress.

    - Yes, Orton forgot his lines. It was quite the mistake. Sometimes even top quarterbacks throw interceptions. If this was a regular thing, it'd be a problem. But it isn't. I think some of the blame has to go to how meticulously scripted promos are in 2013 where talents are expected to go word-for-word instead of just having bullet points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My stance on Orton forgetting his lines is that for someone who is the "face of the company," I personally can't give him a pass on that one. Two wellness violations combined with a monumental mishap on WWE's flagship show certainly isn't becoming of someone who is so highly revered by the company. To me, it's completely unacceptable, and while Orton has a lot going for him, it definitely contributes to me understanding why Orton will have his share of fans thinking he's overrated. If this was on NXT or if this was a lower card wrestler who is a bit green, I'd understand, but for a veteran like Orton, I can't accept it.

    That Daniel Bryan chant on Raw Monday was fantastic. He wasn't even one of the main focuses in that main event segment, yet the crowd wouldn't stop chanting his name. I definitely have grown to be a big fan of Bryan and think he's grown more as an "entertainer" and I hope WWE continues to take note of his work ethic and how the fans have been perceiving him. Given, it was his home state, but I haven't seen many segments where the segment had to be stopped for a number of minutes due to the crowd chanting for someone who wasn't even a focus of that segment. Props to Bryan on that one.

    I agree with your stance that it would be good for Del Rio to take a break. He needs a bit of re-tooling. I get he's a hard worker, but he's getting to that point where he was last year in that he's getting a bit bland. On top of that, repeatedly getting up-ended by a guy who can't even talk in Sin Cara definitely isn't helping his cause or isn't getting him noticed in a favorable light.

    I'll be interested to see your pay-per-view predictions. One thing I will say is that the 3-on-1 handicap matches definitely will have a red flag in that I don't see a legitimate and decisive victory in those matches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly don't think it's a good thing Orton forgot his lines, by any means. It was pretty blatant and exposed the business. And it doesn't stop with what you mentioned. He's had a litany of behavioral problems during the years (even some stuff from before he was in WWE - going AWOL). I don't see a lot of people getting the kind of chances he's gotten from Vince, HHH, etc.

    Before he became champion, I harped on those Wellness violations a LOT. I saw an interview with him not too awful long ago, and from that and from other talk from credible people online, he's not the same Orton who's had so many problems. He's married now with kids and seems to have mellowed down.

    I can absolutely see the criticism he gets pushed too hard by the company and they've been too forgiving of his mistakes. I enjoy his work as a main eventer right now and don't have a problem with him being a top name if he stays clean and out of trouble.

    Bryan's almost a completely different performer from the guy who showed up in NXT in 2010, which is great. I hope he has a big 2014, and I know we're not the only ones really behind him.

    I see the Del Rio and Sin Cara situations as two different ones in some ways: they want to really build Sin Cara now that Hunico's under the mask. Hunico can actually speak pretty well, though I don't know if he'll do so as Sin Cara.

    Del Rio just kind of happens to be in the position to be used to elevate Sin Cara. I don't even know what they should do to "fix" Del Rio, but I definitely think it's time to think of something new for him.

    I think the handicap matches have the opportunity to be big moments for Bryan and Punk to get boosts as baybfaces and to be seen as potential threats to The Authority. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a storyline twist or two in those matches. I can also see the feuds continuing for the Rumble match regardless of how Sunday's matches end.

    ReplyDelete