Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Smackdown Reax - 12/6/13

Read on for my take on last night's Smackdown.

I really liked the opening segment for getting over the top storyline. I must be watching some Bizarro World promotion, since Bryan's "being buried" and "not a top-tier player" in WWE according to the IWC experts. Snark aside, Bryan's challenging the top champion in WWE after never cleanly losing the title in the first place. If that's not being pushed as a top act, I don't know what is.

That was an OK opening match. It's not going to win any MOTY awards. I know both men can do better. If anything, this was a victim of the match not getting a lot of time.

Good post-match to continue to build the IC Title. I'm glad it's finally being acknowledged that the title's being elevated and has an actual feud built around it.

Good tag match! Goldust's as good as I've seen him in a long time. The teamwork between him and Cody is quite good at this stage, and I hope we continue to see them team for a while. I know Goldy wants to feud with his half-brother and maybe retire afterward. We've got five months until WrestleMania. There's no need to break them up yet. Anyway, I like the idea of Axel and Ryback being their next opposition. Hopefully, they'll get something out of this experience as well.

This is a really silly gimmick for Barrett. I don't think they're trying to bury him or anything (that term is REALLY overused); I just think they don't have any ideas for him.

I'm going to try to wrap my head around WWE's logic here. I think the idea was for them to elevate Sin Cara with the win over Del Rio, then have Del Rio rebound by destroying Kofi. I think they still ended up knocking Del Rio down a peg with Monday's clean loss. I'm not sure what needs to be done to revitalize Del Rio at this point, but it's definitely time to consider a new strategy with his direction.

Oooohhhhh... interesting stuff from The Shield. I'm not sure I want them to split up, though I think it could work.

Ambrose vs. Punk was something to really watch. PPV-level match for sure. Ambrose could really be someone. He's got all the tools except for a lot of main roster experience, but he's working on that. They're giving him a lot of ring time.

I was waiting for a Real Americans/Mysterio feud. That was a good segment. Mysterio working with Cesaro to bring him to the next level sounds great.

Not a bad Divas match, though I feel like it could have gotten some more time.

I was really hoping for Sin Cara as Rey's partner here. That had the perfect opportunity with Cara beating Del Rio on Raw to be re-established and the previous history of the two characters.

Ugh. That match could have been so much better with someone other than Show involved. He's got a lot of experience and name value, but I don't know if he needs to be used as much as they use him.

I don't think we needed to see the HHH video again. Give that time to Big E vs. Fandango and Natalya vs. Tamina. HHH and the top champions are already all over TV.

That was a better promo from Barrett, but the gimmick's still silly. I can't take him seriously with that name.

I love how we haven't had a single authority figure on the show outside of the HHH video. They're way overexposed and there are too many of them. Also, where the heck are Teddy Long and Booker T? What do they even do these days in kayfabe?

Good match between Bryan and Orton. Bryan was protected in the loss, but his lack of a big, clean win lately is damaging him.

The storyline with the Wyatts wanting Bryan to join them's pretty cool. WWE just ended a major show focused on two stars who aren't even approaching 35, by the way, for those who say they never feature new, young performers.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment