Total Pageviews

Monday, December 16, 2013

TLC Reax - 12/15/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's TLC PPV.

Kickoff:
I'm hyped for Punk vs. The Shield.

I feel like WWE just pulled Kofi and Miz's names out of a bag and had them feud. WWE's a good company that could be a great company if they had all their ducks in a row. Hopefully the Haitch Era will mean a more focused Creative approach.

So much for Ziggler getting any momentum back. He's gone from being World Champion to losing on the pre-show. I'm usually not one to say "buried", and I don't know if that's what's going on here, but he's definitely not someone being groomed to be a champion.

Hopefully Vince being back means someone's getting FAHRED. Can it be JBL or Jerry Lawler? (No way. Vince likes both of them).

TLC:
I really liked the opening segment for getting over how important and historic the main event is. They have a chance to get back some disillusioned fans tonight.

As far as handicap matches go, that one was pretty cool. Everyone worked hard. There's definitely an argument to be made about dangerous spots becoming more common and Reigns being unnecessarily hurt here. I hope he's OK. I enjoyed the ending to continue dissension with The Shield. Ambrose turning face in the right way could be pretty big.

I think we just heard AJ's last promo as champion. I don't like her throwing the other Divas under a bus. If AJ loses to someone she considers a joke, what does that make her?

No way! I thought that was going to be a sure win for Natalya after the backstage incident with Michelle Beadle. Who the heck is left to take the title? Tamina? Of course, I wouldn't put it past WWE to have Natalya win the title on Raw in front of a bigger audience. Anyway, both Divas worked quite hard there and I applaud them for it.

I like how important they're treating the main event tonight.

Ouch. I think that did more to bring Sandow down (even further) than build Langston up. I like Big E and all, but Sandow's yet another guy who's been devalued after being seen as someone ready to become a main eventer. WWE wonders why they have to keep going back to the same group of guys at the top of the card and needs the part-timers for Mania, but they book talented guys to not matter. It's mind-blowing. I wish TNA was nipping at their heels where they'd have to shake things up. You'd think with ratings and PPV buys being lower than they'd like, WWE would be scrambling to get some new stars in positions to draw money. Instead, they grasp more tightly on the Cenas and Ortons.

I couldn't care much less about Kofi vs. Miz. They're both good workers, but they don't mean much of anything. They could have easily been on the pre-show or Superstars or something given how they've been treated.

Oh, thank God. I thought we were all set for a Rey/Big Show reign. Both Rey and Show have put in a lot for WWE and it can be argued they "deserve" a title reign, but building Cody and Goldust is the right move. Goldust continues to blow me away with his transformation. Everyone did really good work here, and thankfully Show was kept in a somewhat minor role. He and Rey are better used in small doses given how many bumps they've endured.

Nice post-match. It's nice every once in a while to have babyface teams face off. Just don't make it a regular thing.

We're now in a world where WWE merchandise might be more important than the wrestling product. I wasn't a big fan of that segment.

I don't picture Brodus vs. Tensai being an amazing technical affair, but they've done a pretty good job telling their story. Fine match for getting that over.

I feel like Vince is going to do something big in the main event.

Not a bad match between Kofi and Miz. I hope both guys get to the next level, because they're really spinning tires right now. It's sad those in attendance had to take away from the match with their chants. I'm not looking forward to hearing their input at Mania or the night after.

I really enjoyed that handicap match. I'm glad they told a good story there instead of just having a bunch of big spots. The crowd got back in my good graces with their participation in this one. I don't think there's much shame in losing to three monsters, so Bryan should be able to recover. This is his first clean PPV loss in months, and it's to a nearly supernatural force of nature in the Wyatts. Don't write Bryan off.

Now that was a WAR. Cena and Orton might not do 450 flips or a bunch of innovative moves, but they're really strong workers and told a great story here. I hope their critics finally acknowledge their in-ring prowess. They might have gone a LITTLE heavy with the weapons, but it worked in the context of the match.

There you have it. Cena lost clean and ended the show somewhat heartbroken. I really enjoyed this show.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment