Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Main Event Reax - 3/11/14, Raw note, update on Lashley-TNA, more TNA touring, another former WWE Champion supports Bryan, Raw audience, new WWE Hall of Famer and Questions on Punk saying goodbye, royalties, Bryan at WM30, NXT, credibility, replays, AJ vs. Paige and how Punk's situation affects AJ

Main Event:
I do like the fact a number of talented superstars will get a chance to compete at WrestleMania due to the battle royal. I hope it's not just a throwaway match.

I liked the opening match quite a bit. Los Matadores are much more motivated than they were as Primo and Epico. It's nice to see them giving it their all here.

Good AJ promo. Her performances have kept this angle afloat.

That was a pretty solid Divas' Title match. I'm quite impressed with what they both pulled out. Tamina's involvement was well done. I don't really see who can beat AJ at this point given her defeats of just about everyone.

Weird stuff with Emma and Santino, but I'm glad we're getting some character advancement here.

Great match between Ambrose and Henry. I thought Rollins and Reigns really added to the match. I can see there being complaints of Ambrose not winning clean, but I think they did well enough given the big size difference. I was hoping for a bigger role for Henry going into WM30, but I imagine he'll be in the battle royal. He hasn't really done a lot lately after the big push last summer.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

There was no dark match after Raw this week, which I suppose makes sense given the show ended with a big babyface win. Raw tapings are long enough without dark matches...


Bobby Lashley is being factored into TNA plans going forward and has been officially added to the roster. I hope he delivers.

Tommy Dreamer was working as a producer at Lockdown. I hope he stays behind-the-scenes personally.

TNA is looking to expand in the Northeast. I think Tommy Dreamer would be able to help with that! It's time to shake things up in TNA.

Chris Jericho praised WWE for the change they've made to the WrestleMania title picture. He's not alone in being happy Bryan's involved.

Mick Foley also put over the change in direction. So, no more TVs being smashed?

Raw's audience this week was 4.37 million, down from the previous week but still considered a pretty good number. Hopefully there's a big bump next week since Bryan's being pushed into the title picture like fans wanted.

Puerto Rican legend Carlos Colon will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame by Carlito, Primo and Epico. That's great! 

For my take on the first edition of yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. I'd also love to see Punk get a fitting goodbye. It all depends on exactly how burned out Punk is and whether the two sides would be willing to do that kind of thing. I'd like to think if he's really retiring, WWE would let him do that, but you never know. I do think we'll see Punk back in WWE for at least one final appearance at some point, but it might not be just yet.

2. That makes sense considering the new performer is doing the work!

3. I think WWE finally has its eyes open on this one and they'll let Bryan walk out with the title. I wouldn't be surprised if they "Rey Mysterio" him after he wins (see Mysterio's reign as World Champion on Smackdown) or keep him lower on the card like they did Punk, but I think he'll at least win the title "for real" now.

4. I wouldn't write off TNA yet quality-wise as they've made some positive changes from the Hogan/Bischoff era. Anyway, NXT is indeed usually fantastic and definitely an alternative to Raw and Smackdown. Right now it's still "under the radar" to a degree so they're mostly leaving it alone, but at some point if it gets really successful, the higher-ups might decide to "improve" it so it's in line with their vision of things. Hopefully the NXT vision of things will bleed into the main roster more than the other way around in the years to come.

5. Yeah, I think that says more about Wikipedia than PWInsider.

For my take on the second edition of yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
Nothing to add to 1. I'm not familiar enough with it to say much on that front.

2. I imagine NBCU isn't too happy with the idea of some of its top programming being available somewhere else that's not under their umbrella. There's less incentive to watch the shows on their channels if they can be watched later on the Network.

3. I'm sure lesser news sites will gobble up any story passed on, but PWInsider.com holds a higher standard than that. Their editorials might be way off the mark at times, but they're generally on the mark with their reporting. When they're not, they look to correct things.

4. I'd be really surprised if they gave Paige that big of a push right out of the gate. She's very talented, but that's a mighty tall order for a first match. She's a virtual unknown to most of the WWE audience, so I don't know if I'd go that route. I'd prefer either AJ vs. Tamina or AJ vs. a past Diva if that's feasible. I like Paige, but I think they should be more careful with her debut.

5. I think WWE MIGHT do something with AJ in relation to the Punk situation, but obviously the Divas aren't a huge priority for them at the moment, so they might just keep on with whatever their plan is now (if there is one).

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment