Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Smackdown Reax - 3/14/14

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.

I mostly liked the opening segment. I definitely think it was smart to involve Bryan in a bigger story after Summerslam, but there were definitely moments where the ball was at the very least fumbled. I usually defend Sheamus, but I think Bryan facing him at Mania's a definite step down from Bryan vs. HHH and Bryan winning the title. Batista returning threw a wrench into things and knocked guys like Punk and Bryan down a peg (along with part-timers like Taker and Brock getting main events). I'm still not completely convinced we won't get a scenario where Bryan wins the title only to end up like Rey Mysterio (be booked as lucky to be champion and it only being a matter of time before a bigger guy takes it) or Punk (be champion, but still play second fiddle to Cena and part-timers). If Kevin Nash hits the ring during Bryan's title opportunity, I think I'll have to Mick Foley my computer.

Who exactly were we supposed to pull for in Rollins vs. Sandow? Is Sandow a face for being put in a 3-on-1 situation? It always feels kind of weird for there to be some sort of heel vs. heel situation. At any rate, Rollins was impressive and I think he could end up being a pretty good babyface once The Shield finally splits.

Oh, yeah. That should definitely set up some kind of Sandow face turn. Or at least some kind of character change for him. I don't think there's much further for him to go as a heel. He's hit something of a plateau. Of note, I don't think this is any kind of "burial" for Sandow, but I could be wrong. A true burial is when Management is upset at you and actively trying to throw you under a bus.

I have this weird feeling we'll see some surprises in that Andre battle royal. Maybe RVD and/or Chris Jericho? Either way, I don't see Fandango winning.

I can't complain too much about them continuing to build up Big E, but I think Fandango's pretty underrated. Is he good enough to have beaten Chris Jericho in his debut? Maybe not (but it made sense to build him up early).

Barrett's segments are really silly. I don't know if this is some kind of rib on him or what, but it's not really doing much for his career.

I enjoyed Bray vs. Kofi. It definitely makes sense to build Bray up ahead of facing John Cena. I hope one day Kofi gets another notable push. Right now I can see a beating from Alexander Rusev in his future.

So, again. Are The Sheild babyfaces for standing up to Kane? It feels like WWE's going back and forth on what's going on here. My guess is WWE's having trouble stretching out The Shield's breakup for them to face off at WrestleMania.

I liked the tag match between the Real Americans and the team of Cody and Goldust. I was fairly sure we were in for the latter team splitting ahead of a match at Mania, but it looks like WWE has other plans. I'm a LITTLE split on Cesaro vs. Swagger, but I think they can make it work. Cesaro's definitely got a future.

It looks like the Usos vs. NAO will be on hold for a little while. That makes sense. There's still some time to kill before WrestleMania.

Ehhh.. Not too crazy about Tamina vs. Nikki. I think they worked hard to impress, but it's beyond time to shake things up. The two sides have been feuding for seemingly forever and it's time to set up whatever they're setting up for WrestleMania.

I don't think I'd mind Del Rio winning the battle royal if it sets up something plot-wise. I have this bad feeling the match is going to end with Hogan being a surprise last-minute entrant, doing his shtick and winning the trophy at the expense of all the current stars.

Ziggler vs. Del Rio was pretty good. I think both men are pretty much stuck where they are on the card for the time being, but they both bring it when the bell rings.

I'd love for Ziggler to have a big WrestleMania moment, but I don't see it happening. I think he's still on Management's "do not push" list.

Nice touch with The Shield waiting a bit before coming down to be on Kane's side.

I thought they told a good story with the main event. I did get a nostalgia pop with Kane and Show each going for the chokeslam.

Very interesting ending! I'm guessing now they'll be forced to all face each other at WrestleMania, hopefully for the U.S. Title. It certainly seems like they're being treated as babyfaces now, but I think it's just to set up the three of them facing off at Mania.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment