Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Query on Tye Dillinger, NXT Arrival notes, lots of #AskDixie questions, current Lockdown card, Impact Wrestling audience and notes, why Boo-Tista?, NXT taping note, Cena injury update and Questions on Robocop in wrestling, the WWE Network, Bryan and Bill DeMott

First up, a query:
1. NXT's Tye Dillinger might be better known as Gavin Spears from the old ECW brand's "new superstar initiative". This is his second stint in WWE developmental. I saw a promo from him as a "split personality" character that was intriguing. I feel one of the best compliments I can give after watching a talent is me being interested in seeing them again in more depth.

PWInsider has some notes from people attending NXT Arrival. They did have some issues that night, but all in all it sounds quite successful! Cena deserves props for letting Neville close the night. That's very classy.

Update: footage of Cena's promo is up. I hope Neville's as big of a star as some online expect him to be.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

Dixie Carter answered a good number of questions during Impact. This one's a doozy:

- I don't know if there's really enough demand for an X-Division only show. I could be wrong, but it seems like a pretty limited niche for a weekly event.

- In dirtsheet kayfabe, when TNA's successful in some way, it's because of COPS or something else external, but if they fail, it's all because of Creative and Management.

- I hope those +3 and +7 ratings are helping TNA enough to keep them on the air come October. It's not a guarantee they'll be sticking around.

- I do think it's time to address the TV Title situation. Either drop the belt or do something with it because it's just kind of "there" right now.

- I didn't dislike Gut Check, but it hasn't been too successful at building new stars.

- I'd love for Awesome Kong to return.

- I'd also like to see the X-Division get a new coat of paint. Things are improving there. Definitely better than when RVD was Champ.

- I definitely prefer two people on commentary to three!

- I'm under the impression we won't be seeing Bischoff back on-screen or in a major Creative role.

- Muta's wrestling! Tomorrow's post will have his official match.

- Funny stuff about a blogger getting noticed. I still have a number of semesters of college to get through, but who knows? Maybe I do end up applying for some kind of more formal job in the business.

- I'm OK with some former faces returning. It's a case-by-case thing. I'd rather see Dutt than, say, the Nasty Boys.

- I think Angle in TNA's HoF can be justified. I do think it's something how he keeps talking about going back to WWE.

- No reason to bring back the KO Tag Titles unless there are a lot more Knockouts. Even then, is there enough TV time to justify it?

- WWE vs. TNA on PPV is almost definitely not happening unless WWE buys TNA.

- I'm personally in favor of keeping Elevation X on mothballs for the time being. It's honestly not that exciting of a match. Big bumps have been really watered down from the 57,493 Ultimate X matches. That's another match I'd like to see put on mothballs for a while.

- Santana has been signed!

- I like the idea of international stars on Impact IF they can add something. Ideally they'll either speak English or be so good they don't need to.

- Nice dodge of the WWE signing question.

- I couldn't give less of a $&#* about seeing Rampage or King Mo wrestle.

- I hope Dixie doesn't get too caught up with what wrestling news sites think about her. Some of them have valid points, but others are just stirring muck.

- I don't see any reason to add more than one person to the TNA HoF a year, unless they were to add the Jarretts as the family (which is almost definitely not happening now). I wonder how soon they add Hogan and Bischoff...

- Bring in Chris Hero!!

- Punk's not going to TNA. He can't headline WrestleMania there...

- I think TNA's gearing up to bring back Kenny King now. He's still under contract.

- Interesting comment about bringing Christian back. I'd love to see it!

- I personally think the six-sided ring is ridiculous, but IF enough fans want it back, I suppose they should consider it.

- Dixie's pretty good with the snarky, in-character answers.

- I think I'd like to see JB replace Taz as well.

The Lockdown card as of 2/28 is:
- Magnus vs. Samoa Joe for the TNA Championship
- Team MVP (led by MVP) vs. Team Dixie (led by Bobby Roode) in a Lethal Lockdown match for control of TNA
- Kurt Angle vs. Ethan Carter III
- James Storm vs. Gunner
- Madison Rayne vs. Gail Kim for the TNA Knockouts Championship

I think that's a pretty good lineup personally.

WWE continues to iron out WWE Network issues. Be patient as they're doing everything they can and hope to have it up and running for everyone ASAP.

The most recent edition of Impact Wrestling shown in the UK was the highest-rated show they've had there. That's great! The show was filmed in the UK.

TNA is looking for where to film Impact this summer. They intend on continuing to do some shows outside Orlando.

Pat Kenney (formerly Simon Diamond), Jeremy Borash, Bully Ray and Abyss have been working as agents for TNA live events. I wonder what that means for the in-ring careers of the latter two. Bully Ray's current deal runs through some point in September if I'm not mistaken. Could he move into a behind-the-scenes role after it ends?

Fortune.com talked about the WWE Network, which if you haven't heard is kind of a thing now.

For those wondering what the "Boo-Tista" chants are inspired by, click here. That joke has been used for Bo Dallas in NXT as well.

Sheamus and the New Age Outlaws were part of the most recent NXT tapings. Billy's a trainer down there, so it makes sense he'd be part of things.

TNA's audience dropped to 1.06 million this week. Not a good sign at all. They're doing what people have been asking for for years: pushing new stars and TNA Originals. MVP and Dixie are big parts of things as well, but things are MUCH better than the Hogan/Aces and Eights days.

John Cena worked the main event of the most recent live event loop against Randy Orton in a steel cage. He did sell the injury from Monday. It's not like they were going to give away Orton vs. Batista before Mania, so I see why they had Cena work the event. This is what happens when you only have so many top stars to pull from due to years of overlooking younger, newer acts. HHH, Taker and Brock sure as hell aren't going to be there to fill in.
 
For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. I'd watch Robocop wrestle. Someone should have pitched that to WWE ahead of the remake. I think Heath Slater would have been perfect as his opponent after his run against the Legends ahead of Raw 1000.

2. Vince plays by his own rules. They are publicly traded (which I found out in less than a minute with Google). I think WWE's going to end up going over in the long run.

3. Pretty much that. Vince is very stubborn and will do his best to make this work. And let's be honest, this has a better chance of succeeding than the XFL.

4. I hope HHH uses this line on Raw. As they alluded to; it's more than wins and losses. It's about how Bryan's positioned as far as being a top guy or not.

5. "Hugh" has gone as Bill DeMott for quite a while now and is an important past of the WWE developmental puzzle. He was also on a little show called "Tough Enough" when that came back a few years ago.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment