Total Pageviews

Friday, April 4, 2014

Lots of Mania stats, a look at Bryan's rise, WWE appearances, latest on Jarrett promotion, potential Mania surprise, big name set for Mania, HoF rings, Interview with top TNA exec and Questions on the WWE HoF, entrance music and wrestlers with animals

This link has a LOT of WrestleMania trivia. Goldust is going for a reverse Undertaker gimmick it looks like. I can't be the only one who wants to see Santino Marella make a promo about breaking his 0-2 streak at Mania. On a related note, I miss the Honk-a-meter. I personally found the Punk/Regal feud that broke that run overrated. No diss to Regal; I was just underwhelmed with Santino's streak ending that way. Anyway, very impressive record-keeping from the author.

Rolling Stone looked at the Daniel Bryan "Yes!" movement. Bryan comes across as a really intelligent individual. He could probably have a gimmick like Damien Sandow's with that reading list.

Mark Henry, Natalya and David Otunga(!) were at a WWE anti-bullying rally. It has literally been more than a full year since Otunga wrestled. He's a great choice for an ambassador and I could see him getting air time on something on the Network, but it doesn't look like they have any plans for him as a wrestler.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.
There are rumors of some sort of collaboration with Jeff Jarrett's new promotion involving NASCAR or Major League Baseball. There's no telling what he'll be able to pull out. I'll be very interested to see the ramifications for the wrestling industry as a whole.

The former Godfather is in New Orleans at WWE's behest. He also worked as the voodoo-themed Papa Shango character that's perfect for the area. I hope he does get to make a cool cameo.

Update: Add Lanny Poffo and "Dangerous" Danny Davis to those WWE has there. I'm hoping something gets worked out with the former for his brother Randy Savage going into the Hall of Fame next year.

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin has been announced for WrestleMania 30. I'm not expecting him to have a big role. Honestly it is time to move on from wanting him to come back, and I say that as a BIG Stone Cold mark back in the day.

WWE has photos of the 2014 Hall of Fame rings. They're pretty cool looking!

WWE flew Roddy Piper's son into New Orleans for WrestleMania weekend. Awesome.

TNA executive John "Big" Gaburick took fan questions from Twitter. He seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders. I have been impressed with a number of the new signings. Replacing some of the older names has given TNA a fresh coat of paint. Very diplomatic responses (not that I expected anything else). Slammiversary would be a great time to bring back the six-sided ring, as ridiculous and gimmicky as it is. If it will please people to have that return, I can live with it. They were open as far as the questions went. They have definitely done better with having the characters be important. Having wrestlers give input is great, but of course not everyone's going to have great ideas.
 
For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. As was mentioned, WWE doesn't cater exclusively to old school fans. I don't really see them doing a "gimmick" to the Hall where there's a theme to the whole class for a year, but it's an interesting concept to throw around. I figure if they were going to do an all-WCW year, WM27 in Atlanta was the perfect time to do it.

2. I can't disagree with putting in Koloff.

3. WWE is much more of a "show" these days as far as pyro and music and the like. That's the main difference, I'd say. I think the audience has been conditioned to expect music for performers in this day and age and there should be a special reason if someone doesn't come out to music.

4. I've actually tossed around the idea of having my own "version" of the Hall of Fame, but it strikes me as presumptuous to think I'm enough of an expert to say who should go in and who shouldn't. 

Nothing to add to 5 other than me wanting another animal gimmick. Kofi B. Ware?

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment