Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 14, 2016

NXT and Main Event Reax - 1/13/16

Read on for my thoughts on yesterday's NXT and Main Event.
NXT:
I've missed fresh content from this show/brand.

Oh, shit! He's back! Good to see William again.

I was hoping for Hideo Itami, but I'm really glad to see Sami, as well.

So, which heel interrupts Sami? Joe? Corbin? Both of those feuds would be good.

Joe vs. Zayn would be incredible. Joe's getting a great promo here.

I think Baron Corbin's going to be someone to watch out for on the main roster. He's still not 100% "ready" to get a push there, but I definitely see improvement.

I hope we see Corbin/Joe vs. Zayn/Balor tonight.

I mostly liked Bayley's promo. She does seem to do better in backstage segments they can presumably tape more than once.

The Ascension coming back to NXT isn't even a big deal anymore. I'm a little surprised they never use Los Matadores to work with the NXT teams.

Danny Burch gets more screen time now than he did when he was actually under contract.

- Ciampa vs. Burch:
This match differs from the standard high-octane flippy indie match. I like a good brawl between two tough guys.

You know, I'm enjoying this.

Pretty good showing by both men. I think having both men continue to get work outside of NXT is still a good move, but I definitely liked what I saw.

Nice promo from Enzo and Cass. I think they could earn their way to the main roster by this summer.

I like the little promos from those in the battle royal. This is one thing we need to see more of in other places.

Zayn vs. Corbin vs. Joe makes a lot of sense, and should be a pretty good match. I think we could easily see both Zayn and Corbin called up by the end of the year.

- Dash/Dawson vs. Ascension:
I think Konnor and Viktor could out-brawl the tag champs. Obviously they lose pretty much every match on the main roster, but they've got chops as competitors.

The Ascension are more fun to watch in the WWE.com shows than on Raw and Smackdown. They get more personality in the ring.

The Shatter Machine is pretty cool.

Dawson inadvertently knocking Dash off the apron was hilarious. I'm glad they recovered from it.

The Ascension looked fine in defeat, I think.

I didn't see Nia being excluded from the battle royal. She was choked out some time ago.

Eva is still something of a black hole of charisma and personality. It's almost like they purposely chose her to be the villain of the show.

Splitting up the Australian Divas was good. I like the Venus Flytrap of NXT.

- Samson vs. Hollis:
Hollis has worked ROH here and there in 2015, but obviously he's not signed to an exclusive deal.

I'm not completely sure what to make of Samson just yet. I think he's a good character and has personality, but I'm not blown away by his ringwork.

WHOA. I did like that Mule Kick, though.

Samson could pass as Damien Sandow's deranged brother.

A so-so start for Elias. We'll have to see more of him as a wrestler before I can get behind him. He definitely has something in the "'it' factor" category going for him.

I'm excited for Balor's future, both inside NXT and out of it.

Is Liv Morgan 13? I would think the battle royal would be adults-only.

The interaction between Eva and Asuka was pretty hilarious.

I really hope Asuka can be a success on the main roster.

- #1 Contenders' Battle Royal:
Nice start to things.

Honestly, good spot from Cameron to get an elimination.

Impressive power from Liv. Maybe she's actually 16 or 17.

I like Alexa Bliss. She's got a chance at being an important player on the main roster at some point. Maybe as a manager primarily, but there's definitely potential for her to contribute.

I KIND OF want to see an Australian Divas' faction, but it makes sense to see what kind of personality Peyton and Billie have as themselves.

Good segment to send the Australians out of the match.

Wow. Eva Marie can't even eliminate someone without botching.

Clever twist on the "someone goes under the bottom ring to sneak back in" ending. 

Carmella vs. Bayley could be pretty interesting. I didn't see that one coming; it's worth giving Carmella a chance.

I have a feeling we'll see either Asuka or Nia destroy Carmella to get the title shot. But, hey, this is a fun twist.

Main Event:
Damn. TWENTY YEARS. That's a real legacy.

Remember the European Title? There aren't many people on the current roster who held that.

Actually there's a lot Henry hasn't done. KOTR, for instance...

Honestly, I'd be fine with Henry winning the Andre battle royal in Dallas as a send-off to his career. He's earned one last notch in his belt.

WHOA. The continuity of Konnor and Viktor eliminating Henry at WM31 is appreciated.

I'd be fine with the Ascension getting another "real" push. Obviously New Day is THE heel team right now, but... wait, there's also the Wyatts. It looks like the best they'd get is ahead of the Social Outcasts (maybe) and Los Matadores.

That was OK, although hopefully they'll have a reason why it was Swagger helping Henry. Maybe Mark's promo made him nostalgic for when he was ECW Champion himself?

Wait, is Stardust still working with the Ascension or not? You'd think they'd all want to be on the same side to eliminate Big Show, Henry, etc.

- Fandango vs. Stardust:
These are two guys making the most of their gimmicks and continuing to do great things in the ring. I hope they get to ascend up the card someday.

This has been a pretty solid match.

Good match overall.

- Alicia vs. Tamina:
Not bad so far. I KIND OF want to see Tamina vs. Nia Jax at some point.

That was OK overall.

BAH GAWD TAMINA THE MATCH IS OVER. I couldn't care much less about a Tamina/Alicia feud, but I guess it gives them both something to do.

- Ascension vs. Swagger/Henry:
I'm liking what we're seeing from the former NXT Tag Team Champs.

Swagger's a pretty solid performer.

Swagger's taking most of the bumps for his team. Good match, though.

That really picked up at the end. Everyone did their role well. Henry's still impressive in relatively small bursts. Pretty good work overall.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment