Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Raw Reax - 1/18/16

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.
 People who misuse the word literally get on my nerves (figuratively). The match would only be one vs. all if the other 29 wrestlers were on a team. They're not.

I do look forward to Roman's Herculean struggle against the odds on Sunday.

Roman should just spear Chris and go right back to his promo. I would mark out so hard.

Jericho doing some somewhat subtle heeling here by trying to get the spotlight on himself and his show. I like it. Maybe the cringeworthy Dad jokes about New Day were setting him up to be someone people would boo, like his "no words" promos a few years back that were just soaking up reactions? If so, GENIUS.

Jericho blatantly going for the easy "you look stupid" and pale references is hopefully a parody of WWE faces' lame insults. I think Jeritroll has that in him given his work in previous years.

The idea of Rusev throwing people off the bus in Bulgaria is an amusing one. I miss when wrestlers had training vignettes.

Y2J playing to the crowd will hopefully lead to him turning on Reigns as referee to further the "one against all" theme.

- Reigns vs. Rusev:
I wouldn't be shocked to see this as a WWE Title feud later in the year.

I like Rusev as an old-school heel. He's just a fast and dominant brute.

The offense here is simple, but effective. That's refreshing after seeing ROH, the Wolves, the X-Division, etc. lately.

Pretty good stuff here.

This has GOT to be intentionally over-the-top face Jericho. Trolling is a art.

Nice match overall.

It was kind of fun to see Jericho and Stephanie together again. I'm not a big fan of either in 2016, but there's some fun history there.

Hey look! Natalya and Paige are back out of nowhere. Is Paige face again now?? She'd be perfect for NASCAR given her proficiency with turns.

- Brie vs. Natalya:
That was OK for the time it had, but the whole point of the Revolution was for longer, more meaningful Divas matches. It wouldn't shock me at all if this was just added on the show to get footage for Total Divas. That's kind of sad, really.

I enjoy the Rumble more when the order of entrants is largely a surprise. The tumbler segments are generally only fun when someone tries to trade their number or steal someone else's.

- Bray/Harper/Rowan vs. Dudleys/Ryback:
Bubba vs. Harper is fun. Two big, brawling bruisers.

I hope the Wyatts, individually and collectively, do big things going forward. They've got something special.

I like a good multi-man fight like this one.

Good match overall!

The Social Outcasts are a fun undercard act. It's a shame Big Show will probably destroy all of them.

- Slater vs. Show:
Poor Slater...

How many talented people have been fed to the 40-and-older crowd over the years? It's terrible.

- Becky vs. Tamina:
I like the battle of Tamina's power vs. Becky's tenacity and technique.

I really hope Becky ends up being more of a success on the main roster in 2016.

I'd mark out SSSSOOOO hard if Becky put Ric in the DisArmHer to get Charlotte to agree to a match. After Ric helped Charlotte beat Becky, she should get some comeuppance on him.

Oh, that was weak. Flair setting up the match took the attention away from the two great female athletes involved.

Remember that week when Kalisto was getting pushed? That was a good week.

- Ambrose/Kalisto vs. Del Rio/Sheamus:
I'm liking this pretty well so far. 

Del Rio really has it out for superstars who wear masks...

Ambrose is just wild out there.

I'm enjoying the work with these four.

Nice match overall, although I do think that pretty much killed Kalisto's "push" from winning the U.S. Title.

Francesca > Y2J. 

I didn't care for the Chipotle joke...

- Jey vs. Big E:
Good stuff from both of them. I hope Big E has a big future as a singles star.

New Day is more entertaining than the Wolves and ROH's War Machine combined. The other promotions need to step their game up.

Really solid stuff.

Damn. Darren doesn't even get to be in the "black people" backstage segment on MLK Day. 

- Breeze/Cosmic Ascension vs. Titus/Neville/Truth/Henry:
I do think Neville will be more fun in the Rumble than Darren, although Darren's a lot of fun in his own right when paired with Titus.

Neville remains incredibly impressive in the ring.

Pretty good match overall. 

It's kind of sad Jericho's one of the "top three" favorites to win this year. 

I really hope Jericho eats an F5. Or eight.

I can't wait to see some people taken to Suplex City Sunday night.

Oh God, Chris Jericho as champion again in 2016? I'd rather see HHH hold the gold, honestly.

DAMN. I like Reigns not wasting a long time on promos. 

Oh this is a WAR. The Rumble is a must-see event.

I can't wait til Sunday!

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment