Total Pageviews

Friday, January 1, 2016

Smackdown Reax - 12/31/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.

Is it wrong that I find it funny people actually called NYPD about Vince's arrest? I guess kayfabe's still alive after all!

It's a shame Sin Cara's hurt. The Lucha Dragons are a really fluid, fast tag team. They're an enjoyable part of most shows.

I love New Day saying the fans are the ones who need to change. I feel like not enough heels actually dis the crowd in 2015 (when this was taped/aired).

New Day might be my favorite act of 2015. It could just be because Rollins is on the shelf and Enzo/Cass are more serious now (as they should be), but they've really been entertaining.

NICE interruption. I like seeing the Dudleys contributing to things in 2015. I know I was initially skeptical, but they're mostly positive additions.

- Kalisto/Dudley Booties vs. New Day:
Bubba and D-Von can still go. I have a lot of respect for them for still being in great shape so many years into their careers.

Nice Wassup spot. I wonder how many new fans know where that reference started.

Woods isn't a bad wrestler at all. I think he's better in a team or group, but he's definitely got a solid base as a wrestler.

Really good match overall. Just good fun all around.

I still kind of cringe seeing that powerbomb spot after what happened to Dixie Carter. Suffice to say that won't happen to Stephanie.

Speaking of veterans still contributing at a high level, Goldust has really reinvented himself in his most recent run. It more than makes up for his TNA run as Black Reign. The less said about that, the better.

- Goldust vs. Breeze:
I really enjoy Goldust's work. He has a lot of knowledge to pass on to those damn millennials who aren't grabbing the brass ring.

Breeze seems a bit out of place as a wrestler. I think bringing him in as a tag team guy (paired with Ziggler) would have worked better as he continues to progress.

Tyler Breeze's pop culture references don't sound forced, which is good.

Why are they already splitting Summer Breeze? Amicably even. I hope there's something bigger planned for both of them, because they're not really getting any traction right now.

I wouldn't mind a Bo/Axel teaming, since they're just kind of hanging around on Main EVent and Superstars.

I kind of miss Axelmania and Macho Mandow, to be honest. No way is WWE going to associate anyone with Hogan again in the near future, though!

Not a bad Bo/Dolph segment, I guess.

- Strowman/Harper vs. Usos:
Strowman is a really unstoppable monster. A good roster has some "Frankenstein's monsters"/Goliaths around to work with the smaller, more mobile guys.

Harper's quite the worker. I hope he's got a big future and his gimmick doesn't limit him.

That was a good match for what it was. The Wyatts are one of my favorite acts.

SyFy's time is up. USA's time is now. You won't see me on SyFy now.

It's like they're trying to get "We want Sasha" chants.

- Brie/Alicia vs. Tamina/Naomi:
I'm really interested what Tamina's future looks like if Nia Jax impresses the higher-ups and gets called up in 2016. They basically have the same act.

Good match overall. I think WWE had strong workers in the division before the Revolution. It was mainly how they were presented that was the problem.

- Bo vs. Ziggler:
Nice match to fill some time and get Ziggler a win. Bo's a good addition to the lower end of the card.

I obviously really like New Day, but I don't think they needed another segment tonight.

- Reigns/Ambrose vs. Sheamus/KO:
I like the pairing of Reigns' power and Ambrose's reckless abandon.

Ambrose is almost always fun to watch. He's somewhat unpredictable in his offense, and doesn't gall into a pattern like so many others seem to.

I like all of these workers, really. I wouldn't call Reigns great, but I think he's coming along well enough. It's a process to make someone a headliner.

If the ending was either that or Owens getting counted out, I can live with that ending.

Nice post-match so far. I'm surprised Owens hasn't officially been added to LoN as a French-Canadian.

I'm looking forward to the main event Monday night.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment