Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 9, 2016

TNA One Night Only: Bethlehem Reax

Read on for my thoughts on last night's TNA PPV.
Normally I wouldn't cover a One Night Only show, but this one's actually kind of meaningful.

The rules are generally a little different for ONO shows, so I'm not as upset as I usually would be about a random X-Division Title match. I just hope this isn't what they have in mind for Impact going forward. Why some people want a Cruiserweight division in WWE to lump all the "flippy" wrestlers together in meaningless matches is beyond me.

- Uno vs. Steve vs. Mandrews vs. DJ Z:
Why the FUCK would you break up a pin in an elimination match? It'd be different if Steve and Mandrews were normally teammates or something, but otherwise, it bumps up your chances of winning when one of your opponents is no longer part of the match.

And why break up a Tower of Doom spot when all your opponents would end up hurt and easier to beat? It's like this match is made of CPU characters with poor AI.

There's a reason these guys are working the opening flippy match instead of competing in a big role on the card. This is just moves city.

Steve wasn't as bad as the others here. I guess because he's not really an X-Division-style wrestler...

BAH GAWD STEVE ENOUGH IS A DAMN 'NOUGH. I couldn't care much less about a potential Steve/Uno feud. Really, the only "X-Division" talent who's part of TNA I'd be interested in seeing go for the title is Shane Helms. The story of the old veteran trying to school the current guys has potential, and would allow them all to work with someone who's had a pretty long run in the business.

Not a bad second "stage" leading to Z's elimination.

That was mostly good, I guess, once they got through the standard multi-man flippy spots.

I'm down for Helms vs. Uno. That has some juice to it.

I guess this feud with EY/Bram vs. Beer Money is just a one night thing, since EY's still focused on the Hardys. 

- Spud vs. O'Shea:
I'm fine with this starting with a promo. Establishing O'Shea as the clear heel is good.

This is a pretty good little brawl so far. O'Shea showing some potential early.

I like the aggression from O'Shea. He could be someone worth investing in in 2016.

I don't think that was bad at all. Spud won after being dominated for most of the match, but I'm not really upset at that. The match probably won't mean much in the long run anyway.

I wonder if we'll see Maria in the ring or not. I expect it could be an occasional kind of thing rather than her being a regular.

- Bennett vs. Robbie E:
Is it bad that I kind of miss Robbie T? Not really as a wrestler, but as a character. I did like seeing him be a big hoss at times in the ring.

Robbie E's kind of an underrated wrestler, since most people are going to remember him for the Jersey Shore gimmick. He took that and ran with it.

Bennett strikes me as someone who might do well in WWE with this style.

Robbie's bringing the fight here.

That was pretty impressive! Bennett could definitely be someone worth elevating. I don't know if he's main event ready yet, but he could at least be a contender for the KOTM Title.

I like what we're seeing from Bennett on the mic and in the ring. He's not a 10 out of 10, but he's definitely worth keeping an eye on.

As great as Gail vs. Kong is, I think I'm ready for something new.

- Knockouts Gauntlet:
I think the Beautiful People vs. Dollhouse thing is going to be the focus here, which makes sense.

Whoa! I was wondering if there'd be any surprises to supplement the small Knockouts roster. I wonder what the odds are of her becoming a regular.

Deonna has now worked NXT, ROH, and TNA in the span of a few months. That's impressive.

Kong working with the Dollhouse is disappointing, really. They needed a new top heel with Taryn out, though, and it wouldn't make sense for one of the BP to switch sides.

Ahh, so the two cameos were there for Kong to beat up. Smart.

Velvet Sky as the top babyface behind Kim isn't really exciting to me.

So much for it coming down to Velvet and Kong!

Not a bad ending, all things considered.

I like the idea of Godderz and Drake being challengers for the tag team titles.

Who are some of these people?

- P. Parks vs. Lee:
This is OK so far.

Why are these two people even fighting? Who the heck is Pepper Parks and why is he here?

Parks isn't bad, although I don't think they'll let him do the Sky High with that being Shera's finisher.

Not bad at all.

Kong and the Dollhouse just feels weird. If Kong's sticking around, they should rename the group the Kongtourage.

Does anyone really care about a Pope/Grado feud?

Abyss is randomly a heel, I guess.

- Grado vs. Abyss:
This is OK given the contrast in styles.

Fine for what it was. This show is just to fill time because thy have contracts to do a certain number of PPVs a year in some countries.

Angle vs. Drew should be pretty good. I'm kind of skeptical about this match given how different the teams are.

- Wolves vs. Angle/Galloway vs. Drake/Godderz:
Davey and Eddie are such MOVES guys.

I like Godderz's heeling here.

Angle's still got it!

Stereo tag team moves are so overdone.

Dives to the outside are also really overdone.

Godderz kicking out of the Angle Slam was lame.

The double ankle lock spot was kind of dumb, but I guess it made sense. Edwards getting Drew to tap would keep the titles on the Wolves. Angle would be gambling on his own ankle lock getting Eddie to tap first. It's kind of a stretch, but I'll buy it.

That wasn't bad at all. It got MOVES heavy, but not too badly.

Lashley vs. Tyrus:
Tyrus is just a mastadon.

I like Lashley working as the underdog for once. He's definitely talented.

That wasn't bad. Tyrus is a limited performer, but Lashley mostly worked around it.

- Beer Money vs. Bram/EY:
I definitely prefer vicious heel EY to babyface champion EY, and vastly prefer him to comedy EY.

Jesus, another suicide dive spot?

Bram's a pretty convincing psychopath. I mean, work the gimmick you know, I guess.

Roode's a really talented guy. That can't be stated enough.

I didn't anticipate Storm being so aerial.

This is going really well! Storm, Roode, and EY are some of the top performers in the company, for sure.

Nice ending to the show. Beer Money's back in action.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment