Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Edge receives award, another awesome Cena story, Updates on Punk/Graham/Baker/WWE roster/Mendes, Foley profiled, Taker out-of-character, Smackdown audience, and Questions on Bischoff, getting paid more as champion, Cesaro, and Fandango

Asheville's own Edge will soon receive the Lou Thesz World Heavyweight Championship award. 16-time World Champ, you say? Interesting. Yeah, some people don't do the whole "research" thing.

John Cena met with an 8-year-old fan with a serious heart problem. All them feels. That's the coolest thing.

C.M. Punk is not advertised for anything through Summerslam. There's no timetable for his return. In addition to his injuries, he's citing burnout and issues with WWE Management. I think he's really earned some time off. I hope that when he comes back, he's good to go for a good time to come. Very talented guy and they're going to be hurting without him. I hope some people step up big in his absence.

"Superstar" Billy Graham has been released from the hospital, though he is soon scheduled to go the Mayo Clinic. I wish him the best.

Ox Baker was hospitalized for fluid on the lungs, not a heart attack as initially reported. I wish him the best as well.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

The wrestlers at the Raw taping were said to be really tired after the tour in Europe. Who can blame them? They're worked pretty hard.

Rosa Mendes will likely be gone for a while due to the issues that led to her being sent home from the European tour. I hope things go well for her from here on out.

Mick Foley's comedy tour was profiled. Pretty interesting stuff. I'll have to see him one day (naturally, he's coming to Asheville during the summer when I'll be back home in Burlington). It's a shame that the lead singer of Weezer's a jerk (according to this guy). I'm a big fan of them, too.

The Undertaker was part of a commercial promoting a charity endeavor. It's kind of funny to think that he's this "regular guy" who likes motorcycles given how protective he is of his character. I'd love to see a revealing documentary-style DVD or autobiography when he hangs things up.

Smackdown was up to 2.75 million viewers this week. Taker's first match on Smackdown since 2010 had to have helped that. Keeping top acts special is smart.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. This isn't wrestling-related, but I'll add a little bit. I think Bischoff is free to say whatever he feels, even in the wake of tragedy. Him taking shots at Chris Matthews doesn't mean he doesn't feel for the victims. But yes, some people get way too caught up in the "liberal vs. conservative" thing.

2. Let me put it this way: a character on a TV show doesn't automatically get paid more the moment when his or her character becomes a President or a doctor or royalty. Wrestling's the same way. The titles aren't "real".

3. The best theory I have (put forth by one of the commenters here) is that they're testing him, like they've tested a number of people with credible wrestling backgrounds, to see if they're cut out for the WWE. WWE is "sports entertainment", where your skill as a wrestler isn't the end-all , be-all like it is elsewhere and maybe WWE is reinforcing that.

4. I'd be hard-pressed to disagree. I think it's kind of the "cool", "ironic" thing to do to support him and sing the song. I'm a big fan of his, but I think some of it's just him being something of a meme.

Nothing to add to 5 that hasn't been said in today's news stories. He's scheduled to come back. They just don't know when.

More wrestling tomorrow and Blue Echo podcasting coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment