Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Latest WWE Network info, PPVs getting dropped, chair shots edited, NXT spotlighted, Interviews with Corino/Tom Prichard/Miz/Heyman, more on Punk, where AJ Lee's been and Questions on NXT Arrival, Punk walking out and the WWE Network

There's been controversy about Dish Network potentially dropping WWE PPVs starting with Elimination Chamber as a result of WWE launching their Network. It's unknown at this point if those subscribers will be able to order the event. I think companies might be shooting themselves in the foot here if they're not careful. It seems like dropping PPVs would drive more people to the Network!

WWE has notably edited a video featuring chair shots to the head (they start at about 9:30). I can't say I blame them knowing what they know now about concussions and CTE. I definitely understand why people want the old footage to remain intact. I wonder what the logistics are of putting up an unedited version with a warning AND an edited version. Would it take up too much space?

ESPN's E:60 will be doing a piece on WWE's Performance Center and developmental program, likely around the time of WrestleMania. I'd like to see it. They did a fantastic job on Scott Hall.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

Steve Corino talked about ECW, ROH, Bryan and more, highlighted here. I love the idea of an anti-hardcore character in ECW. As for scripting promos, I think it should be something of a case-by-case basis. Some people clearly don't need it and more talents should be able to do things on their own. But WWE brass wants things so tightly controlled... There's a very valid question to be asked of how much ECW should have tried to change things to fit larger crowds and be a national promotion. Corino "gets" why talent with names people recognize are brought in. It's all in how those talents are used and that they don't OVERUSE those talents. I also thought the pairing with the Wyatt family was clever to move the story along and wasn't WWE trying to "bury" Bryan. I'd personally love for Punk to come back as a sellout hypocrite there to make money "like Dwayne, Hogan, etc. before him" to face Bryan trying to snap him back to reality. Basically Punk takes an "if you can't beat them, join them" approach, embracing an antagonistic role of leaving the fans behind. Because having them both face off as babyfaces doesn't seem like the best move.


Dr. Tom Prichard gave advice to indie wrestlers trying to get to WWE. If someone won't open the door for you, knock that sucker down. I like Prichard's brutal honesty. READ THIS PIECE.

Two photos have surfaced of C.M. Punk picking up his girlfriend AJ Lee from the airport. As of this writing, he's still officially part of WWE but doesn't seem to have any plans of coming back. If he wants to go off the grid and stop being a wrestler, he's earned that right. But there have to be consequences to him walking out, even if it's as simple as him not getting paid for what's left of his deal.

The Miz was interviewed, both with Maryse and without her. I don't dislike Miz like so many internet fans, but I wouldn't consider myself a big fan, either. I did enjoy his run as a heel main eventer for what that's worth.

TMZ caught up with Paul Heyman. They're big fans.

C.M. Punk has been pulled from a scheduled Q&A appearance in March. I can't say I'm surprised. Some time away from WWE will probably do him good.

AJ Lee was given this past weekend off. Hopefully she's sticking around.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. I believe the special will be shown in place of two regular episodes of NXT in some markets. TIme will tell. I look forward to seeing it here, though!

2. Not everyone has the money Punk has or is at the breaking point Punk was at. He likely would have honored his deal if he felt he was being valued enough to do so. I definitely think he should have to honor the rest of his contract if he doesn't retire, but do they really want him out there dropping pipebombs for five months? WWE dug themselves into a big hole here with their overall company philosophy of working the full-timers so hard while letting the older, part-time guys have a comparatively easier schedule while reaping a lot of rewards. I understand why they went the route they went, but a clear message is being sent and it's time to listen.

3. Basically what they said. If he is hanging it up, I'd like for that at least to happen. Unfortunately, I could see them then having HHH bury Punk and WWE going back to doing more of the same.

4. I plan on doing NXT coverage. I'm already very busy with other things (full-time college student with a job at school), so I can't conceivably spend all day watching the WWE Network. If only, right? (I actually really love school and work - usually. No way am I dropping out to do this full-time with no degree or anything). But yeah, WWE wants to spin things their way on the Network. They couldn't care much less about the "dirtsheets".

5. They've had the opportunity to develop those divisions with all the TV time they have now and haven't really done so, so I wouldn't hold my breath. WWE's idea of building the women's division is "Total Divas". They want to be seen as more than a "rasslin'" company.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment