Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Takeover: Phoenix Reax

Read on for my thoughts on last night's WWE Network special event.
-- Kickoff:
- Breakout award:
Ricochet has definitely lived up to the hype, and shown that he can be more than flashy moves.

- MOTY award:
As amazing as Johnny is in NXT, they're crazy if he's not on Raw or Smackdown Live in a few months. And they're further crazy if they can't figure out how to use him there. Change is needed behind the camera to match changes in talent recruitment.

Right, Zelina? What good is being in Match of the Year if you're still in NXT?

That was cool.

- Male competitor award:
Baaaaased. See what I said about Johnny. He and Ciampa can be gamechangers on Raw or Smackdown Live IF Creative can take what made them stars at this level. There's a reason NXT is drawing crowds without USA Network.

- Female competitor award:
Ooooh. I'm a little surprised Shayna didn't take it. Kairi's awesome, though. Glad she's here.

- Fish on the panel:
Pretty fun.

Ahhhh. He's so good.

UE needs to aim higher than the NXT gold!

- Bianca buried:
DAMN Sam. That was brutal.

- Overall competitor award:
AMAZING. Kairi really has a fan base. Raw and Smackdown Live need to prepare for how they're going to use her; she's showing she can be a star.

-- Takeover: Phoenix:
- Strong/KOR vs. Raiders:
I'm already loving this.

I love the story for this one. UE can really move.

I like how these two sides work together.

This is NICE.

OUCH a missed dive.

Both sides are ridiculously smooth.

This is an awesome story.

This feels like a real battle. I like it.

I loved the assisted leg sweep.

The Raiders are a lot more than a pair of hosses.

This is BIG.

THAT WAS AWESOME. Great work from everyone.

- Riddle vs. Ohno:
Riddle's a prospect, for sure.

Ohno making less mean more. I like it.

I mean, wrestling barefoot isn't a great idea...

OUCCCCHHHHHH biting a man's toes????

Ohno showing he can still impress.

Good story here.

Interesting ending. Glad to see Riddle rise, though.

- Dream arrives:
Ooooooh. Interesting.

- Ricochet vs. Gargano:
I like this start. Neither man is just a flashy "indie" worker.

Smooth.

I'm liking this. They work together well.

Damn. Ricochet's taking some punishment here.

These two are unreal, athletically.

Ricochet's string of offense is amazing.

They just keep topping themselves!

Ricochet does things that don't seem humanly possible until you see them.

If these two don't become stars post-NXT, it's not for lack of talent on their parts.

Uh-oh. Those mats are there for a reason!!!

I would have popped for the cradle winning it after Johnny got distracted with the mats.

I LOVED the sequence with Ricochet trying to beat Johnny with his own move.

OOOOOOUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH that suplex.

Pretty badass. Great work.

- Shayna vs. Bianca:
Yeah don't taunt Shayna Baszler.

This is good.

Yeah having hair that long is a problem against someone as vicious as Shayna.

Shayna's just pure evil. I love it.

If Bianca takes this one, she's earning it. Shayna's going hard.

Baszler is amazing.

Uh-ohhhhhh.

Amazing strength from Bianca.

OH MY GOD THAT 450 COUNTER.

That was AMAZING. Bainca looked like a champ in defeat.

- Dream in the crowd:
I fully expect him to get involved here.

- Ciampa vs. Black:
I like this start.

Both men playing mind games.

Good physicality here.

Ciampa is MONEY as a heel.

I like the finisher teases.

This is great from a technical standpoint.

Great Tower of London spot.

These two have got a lot in the tank.

I like the callback to Johnny vs. Ricochet.

I also like that it didn't work a second time.

That was a BATTLE. Great work.

- Post-match:
Now that was cool.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment