Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 1, 2015

BNB note, Interviews with Reigns/Miz/Paige, Assorted WWE press, TNA names sign new deals, Raw audience, Smackdown audience, Nash update, and Questions on royalties, Total Divas, MMA on wrestling sites, Nigel McGuinness, and HHH in charge

Bad News Barrett worked as a heel on a live event following Raw, teaming with The Miz and Damien Mizdow in a loss to The New Day. Whether he'll be a face or a heel full-time going forward remains to be seen. He was probably already slotted as a heel for that live event loop, and they needed him as one for the six-man tag.

Roman Reigns talked about returning from injury and more. I think pretty much any wrestler getting a big push is going to get a lot of flack from part of the audience who thinks it's "too much, too soon", "they're not ready", and that kind of thing, or that a wrestler's not good enough for that big of a push. I'm not a huge Reigns fan, but I'm not really against him being pushed, either, if the other options are the same-old, same-old.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.


The Miz talked about rapper Riff Raff potentially coming to WWE. I'd take the odds of the latter coming to WWE as pretty slim at this point, but you never know. Maybe he can be a guest host and get in the ring that way?

Update: THE HULKSTER'S TRAINING RIFF RAFF, BROTHER. I guess if Kevin Federline can have a match, he can, too.
The Rock visited Children's National Hospital. That's pretty cool. 

TNA announced Abyss has signed a new deal. That's good for them. He's been a staple of the promotion for a long time. I hope he can keep doing good things there.

Update: EC3 has signed a new deal, too. I'm really excited for that. He's one of the brightest stars of the promotion.

Update: More names are likely to be announced as being under new deals in the days/weeks to come as TNA finds what it's all about as a company in 2015. I imagine a number of names will be taking additional bookings outside the company as part of these deals, at least until TNA starts booking live events again. I assume that's in the plans at some point.

Raw's audience Monday was 3.46 million, the lowest mark in two years. That's not all that good of a number. I hope things pick up with Bryan back.

Smackdown's audience on Dec. 26 was 2.50 million. That's not bad, I suppose.

Kevin Nash has been pulled from advertising for the Jan. 19 Raw. Not much of an nWo reunion without him. Can we see Scott Hall as Razor Ramon then? That'd be a fun change of pace.

Paige talked about WWE and "Total Divas". She's one of very few Divas I care enough about to want to see on that show.

Luke Harper was featured on the Washington NFL team's page for his wardrobe. It's pretty weird to see him out-of-character, with a kid.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. It would depend on the deal he had when he was in TNA. They definitely have the rights to his likeness from during the time he worked there.

2. Yeah, a little of both. I imagine E! has a say in who's used and how.

3. I'm pretty much in agreement with their answer. I'm OK with there being some MMA influences on wrestling, MMA characters, etc., but I think it's ridiculous for wrestling websites to conflate the two. Personally, I think one outlet needs to stop referring to itself as The Wrestling Observer, since they're not just that anymore. They can spin off an MMA Observer or something, and even have separate awards for it, but it's absurd to give out awards that combine the two.

4. I don't see him as a failure. He didn't become a mainstream success, but I think he did pretty well for himself. I personally found him quite overrated in TNA, but I don't begrudge him the fan base he does have.

5. While I think things will indeed be better with HHH in charge, people need to be realistic with what they expect to change. I think we'll see more young, fresh talent, and less "sports entertainment", but I don't think it will be night and day and there will still be some things to legitimately have gripes about.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment