Total Pageviews

Monday, January 26, 2015

WWE Royal Rumble Reax - 1/25/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's WWE PPV.
Kickoff:
If they don't deliver The Rock after teasing him, there are going to be some really upset people.

Fun enough NAO promo. I wonder how many matches those two have left in them. It's pretty telling they had to cut their 2014 run down from what it was going to have been.

I like how there's not one incredibly obvious pick to win given Reigns being hurt, Bryan returning, and other names stepping up in recent months.

That was a pretty good tag match, although I'm not sure why they changed the match they advertised. Cesaro and Kidd getting the win was a nice change of pace, and hopefully leads to something interesting with The New Day.

I actually kind of felt sorry for Rowan after that promo segment. I hope this isn't the end of him being used. He's not great, but he's worth giving a shot to.

I like the pre-show panels discussing who they think will win and why. It adds some legitimacy to things that can really be lacking at times.

Royal Rumble:
It is kind of cool to see NAO again, but there are only so many times WWE can pull the nostalgia card before it's like "them again? really?"

Honestly, that was a fine opening match. It wasn't two taxing on the two older guys, but it also gave The Ascension something more to work with than they have in their squash matches. No complaints here.

I can't wait to see HHH on Austin's podcast. There's some real history there.

I liked the backstage Authority/Heyman segment. Sting and Lesnar is an interesting combination of performers. I don't think we'll see it, though. I highly doubt Sting could survive a meeting with the Beast Incarnate after Taker was so banged up.

That was a pretty well put-together tag team title match. I think everyone had their work boots on. I really hope Mizdow turns face in the Rumble match itself. There's some real potential in that turn.

FYI, Cena won't actually tie Flair's number of reigns tonight. I'm not really sure why only 16 title reigns are counted, but Flair definitely held more than that on a less official basis.

Good segment with Rollins, Noble, and Mercury. This can be a really big night for The Architect of The Shield.

I liked that Divas match well enough. I didn't expect the Bellas to win, but I hope WWE has something of worth in mind for them in Mania season. I picture a big Total Divas battle royal or something for the title at WM31.

That was a really, really good promo montage to set the stage for the Rumble. I liked how they used a lesser name like Fandango amid the big hitters, and that was a clever exchange between Miz and Mizdow. Tonight feels like a really big night.

*#$&ing AMAZING WWE Title match. Brock looked like an absolute monster as always, Cena showed he CAN wrestle, and Rollins showed he's ready for the main event. All three men really worked incredibly hard and I hope all three are recognized for what an awesome match that was.

The Rumble match will be broken into parts for commentary:
- I was surprised Bubba came back at No. 3. I was expecting the ECW stuff to be saved for later, and for the Dudleys to somehow enter together (or at least close by).

- It was cool to see Bubba compete with Bray and Harper. I expected him to last longer, though. Was this a one time thing, or is Bubba returning? What about Devon?

- Kind of funny to see Axel taken out before he got to the ring. It's a shame he doesn't mean much after having such a big opportunity when being paired with Heyman.

- Not really excited to see Boogeyman, honestly. Kind of a wasted spot.

- Good run by Wyatt so far. I think he has a legit chance to challenge Taker this year. I'm down for that.

- I didn't expect Ryder to return! Glad he's well. I wonder how much we'll see of him in 2015.

- Great to see Bryan and Wyatt together. Can Bryan go the distance?

- OHHH SSSHHHHHHHHH-----TTTTTTT!!!!! Didn't expect to see DDP at all. Great move!

- Rusev vs. Wyatt could be a war, but I don't see either man turning face (and why would they?).

- So much for Bryan vs. Lesnar at WM31. That really sucks. It's possible something's done to where he wins the title match at Fast Lane from the eventual Rumble winner, but that could just be wishful thinking.

- Stardust vs. Goldust at WM31 seems like a pretty safe bet. That could be quite good.

- There's your "Kofi avoids being eliminated" spot for the year. I like Kofi, but if he never gets to that next level, there's not much to sink my teeth into.

- Hopefully Reigns isn't the winner, although Ambrose is pretty much the only other person I think has a legit chance. Please, WWE?

- Rusev's doing pretty well for himself. I hope he gets a big match at Mania.

- That was a bit disappointing for Mizdow and Miz. I think there could have been an epic moment of Mizdow finally seeing the light.

- I used to really like Kane, but now I'm kind of disappointed to see him. The character's done pretty much everything outside of one last feud with Taker. Kane turning face against The Authority could be fun, but I don't know if that's actually a possibility.

- Where are Orton, Sheamus, and Bo Dallas!? I expected all three to return tonight.

- Ugh. Big Show. Just... no.

- As glad as I am to see Dolph get a nice spot in the Rumble, I all-but expected it to be Orton in that last position. Oh, well.

- No Wyatt or Ziggler? Disappointing. It makes sense to do these four as the final ones from the standpoint of the Authority feud, but I was hoping those two were in contention for winning.

- Welp, looks like we know who's winning this one. It was fun while it lasted. Reigns vs. Show, Reigns vs. Kane, and Reigns vs. Lesnar all work as big-time feuds, but the only one of those I actually have interest in is the last one. I doubt the other two would be actually good matches without plunder and gimmicks.

- I wasn't really sold on that ending. Reignsamania vs. Kane and Big Show. yay.

- At least Rusev can say he was the last man eliminated. 

- That post-match made things a lot more interesting for Mania season. Do we get Rock vs. HHH at Mania? If so, is it then Sting vs. Taker? What does Wyatt do instead? I'm kind of excited for the all-star names being here for the next few months, but I also want to see some of these other young lions get center stage.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment