Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Raw Reunion Reax - 1/19/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.
I like when episodes have special names and it's not just "Raw No. 1222" or whatever they're on. Obviously they can't do that every week, but every so often it would shake things up. Then again, that would mean planning some stuff out in advance. That's not really a strong suit for WWE.

I think that was a really big opening segment. It was obvious there are some serious main event players involved. The interplay between Rollins and Brock is pretty cool. I do think there's kind of a hole in the Rumble main event already being signed, yet The Authority's trying to change it. I mean, they are in charge so they can do that, but it feels like the contract's not worth the paper it was written on.

That was a pretty good match, but I'm disappointed they beat Bryan so soon after him returning. I get they want to make Bray strong, but they could have done a DQ or something to throw the match out. They could still have had Bray stand tall and Kane get heat on Bryan. It's something of a small complaint, but a meaningful one.

Good way to get heat on Kane. I wish they would have gotten a big gimmick match to close the feud they were having after Bryan won the title.

Pretty cool to see The Kliq all together, even though it's pretty weird at the same time given what they did back in the day. Mizdow was pretty hysterical. I kind of want him to keep entering the Rumble as different characters.

The Rumble panel itself was pretty good. It was kind of ridiculous to bring up ancient history, then ignore how Show's been thrown out of the Rumble many a time. I'm not too shocked Flair was willing to take a bump. As for Show vs. Reigns, I hope that's over by Fast Lane and we move to whatever's next for Reigns.

If Cena doesn't get their jobs back tonight, he'll probably get another chance next week or the week after. Recent "firings" have been pretty brief, and that hurts the stipulation.

Ambrose vs. BNB was pretty good, although once more the champion isn't protected. It'd be different if he hadn't recently lost to Sin Cara, who's more or less a non-entity on the main roster at this point.

I liked the tag match between Cesaro/Kidd and The New Day well enough. It's obvious Cesaro and Kidd are really talented, but the faces are being pushed.

Kind of a funny post-match, I have to admit. I wonder where Rose eventually goes as a heel.

Damn. The Ascension just got wrecked. It was a pretty cool segment, but I don't know what it did for the new tag team's credibility. I guess they're paying their dues. Also, how weird is it for the anti-authority nWo to be shilling the WWE Network? I guess it makes sense from the standpoint of them being bankrolled by Ted DiBiase in WCW and the idea of them being WWE invaders there, but they were always kind of the rebels.

Kind of a goofy segment with The Authority setting up the main event. I think Vince or whomever is cracking and just writing things to mess with people in some aspects.

I liked the Divas match from an action standpoint. I miss when Paige was the badass anti-Diva, though.

I couldn't care much less for Paige and Natalya vs. The Bellas, but it is what it is. I imagine the match itself will be fine.

That should be a good match to kick off the Rumble action. Not that we have any doubt of how it's going to end.

Quick work of R-Truth by Rusev. When is Rusev going to bring out the European Title? That has potential to be great.

Good little segment between The Authority and Brock. I'm really looking forward to the Rumble.

I think Mizdow turns face at the Rumble. It's the perfect place for it.

Good enough match between Jey and Miz.

I liked the brief Hogan promo. Simple and to the point.

I'm shocked The Outlaws want to get back in the ring after the beating they took as tag champs.

I liked the main event for the most part. I think they could have easily had Bryan and Reigns even things up, but it's cool to see Sting again. Sting vs. HHH can be good (although I'm sure Bret Hart will still rate it poorly).

Pretty cool ending. The Rumble should be one hell of a show.

More wrestling coming up.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, that "firing" of Rowan, Ryback, and Ziggler was a bit dumb in my opinion. Any fan that watches at least once in a while knows that "angle" wouldn't have any legs. I wasn't a fan of it from the beginning.

    This also goes hand-in-hand with what we were talking about with Reigns. Nail in the coffin?

    http://www.inquisitr.com/1779607/wwe-roman-reigns-humiliating-smackdown-moment-may-be-end-of-wrestlemania-hopes/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the big issue is the firing angle being overutilized in the past however many years, especially when people come back fairly quickly. I think it was good to fill some TV before the Rumble and set the returning names up to get sympathy as babyfaces, as well as bring Sting back into things, but I think they need to more or less ban firing angles unless someone's really going away for six months or more.

    Someone might have written that line for Reigns, either because they weren't familiar with Andre's promos or just did some revisionist history because a lot of the target audience wasn't around for the Andre days. I'm not familiar enough with his pre-WWE days to know if Reigns was a big fan growing up or just "lucked into being in a wrestling family". I'm curious to know how many people in WWE's target audience even noticed that was a mistake, or even if it was Reigns' mistake.

    I definitely think it's an uphill battle for Reigns to walk out of WM31 as champ. He might still win the Rumble and lose his #1 Contendership at Fast Lane if WWE still wants to give it a shot. I'll be somewhat surprised if he walks out of WM31 as champion given the other contenders. Just remember, it's about what the audience as a whole wants and that might clash with the more hardcore fans who want to see performers who are more "ready" or "qualified" due to their experience, technical abilities, etc..

    Personally, I want to see either Bryan or Ambrose walk out of WM31 with the title. Rollins is great, but I don't think WWE should have a heel end the show with the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Either WWE re-shot that Reigns promo or people misheard and blew things way out of proportion. On the broadcast, Reigns said Andre didn't have to remind us he was a giant every week, not that Andre never said he was a giant. Big difference.

    ReplyDelete