Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Main Event Reax - 10/16/13, big ex-WWE names meet, top indie name to WWE?, lucha star passes away, Interviews with Barrett/Mysterio/Angle, DX member at NXT show, 2K14 contest, sad Joey Styles note, Borash sighting, learn from Goldust and Questions on Cena's return, The Shield and an absurd HIAC

Main Event:
I enjoyed Ambrose vs. Ziggler. Both guys work hard and will hopefully be top stars in the future.

I've definitely seen worse "filler" six-man tags. It's good for the undercard guys to get some ring time to show what they can do and gain experience. Not everyone needs to be groomed to be a future main eventer.

I enjoyed Truth vs. Sandow well enough. Glad Sandow's finally getting some momentum (for now).

Yikes. I guess they were trying to reach a certain demographic with Fandango vs. Khali. It certainly didn't do anything for me. If it leads to Summer Rae becoming a wrestler, I might be fine with them feuding. But I would personally much rather have seen more from Truth and Sandow.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.
Jim Ross ran into Shane McMahon in NYC. JR was in town to discuss his upcoming one-man show. I wonder what WWE would be like if these two had important positions there.

There are reports that Colt Cabana (known briefly in WWE as Scotty Goldman) was set to try out to be an announcer at WWE's facilities in Orlando, but Cabana says it's a no-go. I'd love for him to be a part of the product. He'd definitely cater to the younger market better than Lawler (63), JBL (46), and Cole (44). All of those names have been with WWE in some fashion starting before the Cena era. I don't think they should all be released or anything, but they don't really say "youth movement". It's fine to have an older, more experienced commentator work with some younger blood on a team, but I don't think those announcers should be the face of the product from an announcing standpoint.

Lucha star El Brazo passed away at 52 due to complications from diabetes. Here's a rundown of his career and life from an expert on the genre.

Wade Barrett talked about why we haven't seen him lately (visa issues) and more. I enjoy Barrett and hopefully he'll get to break out further at some point. WWE using the same big names on both shows lessens opportunities for talented performers to come into their own.

Rey Mysterio spoke to WWE.com ahead of their upcoming Mexican tour. I wonder how long his body's going to be able to hold together.

Billy Gunn is doing a meet and great at Friday's NXT live event in Daytona, Fla.. Gunn's a trainer there. I hope that gets people to come out.

Totino's is doing a contest in conjunction with the upcoming launch of WWE 2K14. WWE's doing well with getting sponsorships and the like.

Joey Styles' grandfather passed away, so he won't be able to make an event on 11/9. That's always unfortunate. Regards to one of my favorite wrestling personalities for his family's loss.

Kurt Angle did an interview to promote Bound For Glory. I love that he almost always throws in some little note about wanting to do one last match in WWE or go in their Hall of Fame or something. Note that you don't hear anyone in WWE say the same about TNA.

TNA's Jeremy Borash won "Fan of the Game" at a Nashville Predators hockey event. JB can be pretty funny. I wonder what Eric Bischoff thanks of his actions.

Goldust gave some wise advice to trainees for a DVD. Sometimes it's the little things that matter a lot.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. I think they likely would have done a better job building new stars if Cena was out longer. By no means do they have to abandon pushing Bryan with Cena back as many fear, and hopefully they won't. As for no one being pushed except for Bryan, I wonder what Randy Orton, Big Show and the Rhodes Brothers think about that notion.

2. They did mostly book good TV, but you can't make superstars huge overnight. I can certainly see the argument that they should have put Bryan over more strongly, but the story they're telling works better with him as the underdog babyface chasing the corrupt heel regime.

3. It'd be really self-destructive to do that. I don't think it would be worth it to swerve the fans like that.

4. There are much bigger problems in WWE than camera angles.

5. Considering most fans don't know who a lot of those behind-the-scenes people are and the match would presumably be a work, I'm not so sure.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment