Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Smackdown Reax - 10/4/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.

That was a really good opening segment as far as a heel putting the screws to a babyface. The story's pretty confusing given Show's iron-clad contract. Did I miss something?

Fine match to keep RVD in our minds before Battleground without sacrificing Fandango.

Cool post-match to showcase RVD as a dangerous man in a hardcore environment. His match with Del Rio could be really good.

Glad Ryback beat up Truth. He at least looks like something of a threat vs. Punk, though I don't think anyone expects him to go over.

Cool post-match to continue the build to Axel vs. Truth.

I liked the Del Rio promo/segment. It simultaneously promoted the PPV match and the match with Ziggler.

Del Rio vs. Ziggler was pretty impressive from an athletic standpoint. Both men are hard workers when in the ring.

I think they're doing the rematch to get Los Matadores over for the people who don't watch Raw (they exist).

Very impressed by Los Matadores. They definitely look refreshed and have new life.

As far as lighthearted acts go, I've definitely seen more annoying things than a little person in a bull costume. I like this act so far.

Really good Heyman promo to get his guys over. I hope they're making the most of being able to work with one of the best minds in the business.

Not a terrible Divas' match. I'm not hugely enthusiastic about either competitor.

I love Crazy AJ. She's just straight-up mean.

Didn't see Kofi making such quick work of Langston. I wonder what's going on there.

Fine Wyatt segment as always. I wonder what inspires his material.

Fine match from the standpoint of Show facing the odds. Show's not a "five-star" match worker by any stretch, but he gets his job done.

Pretty cool ending. Battleground could be a sleeper hit.

More wrestling coming up.

3 comments:

  1. Predictions:
    Ziggler on the pre-show (WWE likes to start things with a babyface moment)

    Bray over Kofi to keep his momentum going on the way to a Kane rematch.

    I can see there being some last-minute decision to put the Title on Truth, given their history of wins "out of nowhere".

    The Rhodes (Half) Brothers will presumably win, since it's a non-title match. Maybe some of the other insurgents help them out?

    I can see Brie winning (either here or shortly thereafter) to capitalize on the buzz from her engagement. WWE doesn't care who's the "better wrestler".

    Punk vs. Ryback will probably set up something else at HIAC. I'd be surprised if Brock showed up, but don't rule it out.

    Del Rio almost definitely retains so RVD can take time off, as per his contract.

    Likely some kind of crazy finish to Bryan vs. Orton to set up a HIAC match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all of those predictions. I personally would like to see Sandow gain some sort of momentum whatsoever, but you are right in that the good guy will probably prevail. Unfortunately, I don't see any reason WWE would allow Sandow to cash in with how he's been booked lately, even though he deserves so much more.

    I think Kofi and Wyatt could have been advertised a bit better, but Wyatt will win. I don't think Wyatt or his brothers have even lost a match yet, so this will continue.

    Truth has a good amount of momentum (besides getting squashed by Wyatt), so he probably will pick up the win. Axel has been fumbling a bit of late added to the fact that he's had that title for as long as anyone I can remember.

    I think the Rhodes' will pick up the win, but there will have to be some sort of interference. The Shield have been booked too strongly to lose like that, but then again, I don't think Cody Rhodes will "permanently" lose his job.

    The divas match is a match I personally don't care too much about. I think Bella will win, though. This may sound like a rant here, but part of my dislike for the divas lately relates to lack of attention spent on them by the WWE and poor, storylines that just one-dimensionally promote the Total Divas show. On top of that, most of the divas seem like they're trying to play a character rather than having natural acting/character skills whatsoever.

    I think Punk will get the victory, but with it basically being three-on-one, I see Heyman and his guys standing tall at the end. This feud will probably continue in my book.

    Del Rio has struggled of late, and also against RVD, but I think he will retain with RVD taking time off. It's odd to me how they have RVD win three matches against Del Rio, all to not take the title from him. Del Rio has been champion for a while, but it's a shame that his reign has been a bit devalued due to all of his losses.

    I also see the Bryan/Orton match resulting in a feud continuation. I say Bryan gets his title "back" (even though he should have never lost it) with Big Show or Armstrong getting involved in some fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WWE's very persnickety - Vince could all of a sudden decide that he likes Sandow and wants him to cash in tonight. I can only wonder what a psychologist would think of Vince.

    WWE doesn't do a great job building up midcard/lower card matches. If they didn't change their minds on the major angles so much, that might not be the case. I think Vince gets some blame here too with all the rewrites and such. By the time the top stuff gets set, there's barely any energy left to book the rest of the show.

    I don't know if they'd want to hurt what's left of Axel's momentum. Losing the title would put him pretty much back where he was before becoming a Heyman Guy.

    I definitely see the Rhodes team winning.

    Lack of attention? They're on practically every major show. And the heels in the angle are against the Total Divas show. But yeah, some of the Divas aren't great actresses.

    They've got to have another chapter in the Punk angle for HIAC, right?

    WWE loves 50-50 booking where neither side looks too much better, even in a win. A lot of people take issue with this. Sometimes I get why they do it, but other times it stunts a performer's growth.

    I'd be shocked if they ended the Bryan/Orton feud here. Otherwise, what are they doing for HIAC?

    ReplyDelete