Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

NXT thoughts- 6/21/11

We're in the home stretch, folks. Titus O'Neil, Darren Young, and Conor O'Brian continue their competition for a spot on NXT Season 6, where they'll compete with the next people to come up from FCW. Plus, someone from a much more popular online-only show stops by when Zack Ryder fist-bumps his way to Tuesday nights. Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.
So we're only down to 2 next week? I was thinking we were getting the finale there for a second. Time to get things ready for Season 6 either way.

I swear I just saw a TNA t-shirt for "The Franchise" Shane Douglas in the crowd. Wow, that was years ago.

Titus seems to be improving on the mic. That seems to be his weak point.

Maryse kind of teeters between face and heel on this show. A heel/face revolving door, to quote TV Tropes.

Darn. I was hoping Ryder would hit on Maryse. I was also kind of hoping he'd turn face.

That match is fine by me. Except now Ryder will probably lose to an NXT rookie.

That was a pretty cool commercial for All-Stars.

Someone needs to do a Rise and Fall of NXT DVD. The first two seasons I actually cared for from a serious standpoint. Season 3 was pretty entertaining in its own right. Season 4 still had its moments both in characters and ringwork, but this season's been kind of middle-of-the-road to say the least.

Fair match. Nothing really blew me out of the water from the rookies.

I actually forgot Tyson was on NXT for a while.

I get this weird feeling that was a reference to a story going around some time ago on Twitter about someone taking the head off of Yoshi Tatsu's action figure. Was... the whole thing a work?

Dave Taylor reference? Interesting.

RYDER WINS! BAH GAWD THE KID DID IT! Meh, not a bad match. At least we got to see some Ryder.

Ok, looks like it's rankings time:
Top Tier:
Titus O'Neil (Last week-1): Titus, quite simply, is further along than the other two as far as ring presence and mic work. While I think he's still a work in progress, I also think he's earned the spot on Season 6. This one's pretty much a lock for me, barring a big surprise the last (2?) weeks.

Middle Tier:
Darren Young (Last week-2): I like Darren well enough, but I don't think that he stands out enough in either his ring work or character to go much further. Some "seasoning" down in FCW (i.e. continuing to improve in all aspects before we see him again) would be best I think. It's still possible that he'll change my mind with a strong performance both on the mic and in the ring next week, but I really think he's pretty much as good as he'll get this season.

Bottom Tier:
Conor O'Brian (Last week-3): I don't even dislike Conor. I definitely think he's improved over the course of the season, and especially compared to last season. The new more serious side of him is working fairly well. I just don't think he should be on the road to a spot in WWE by going to the next season of the show. I think he should be cut next week and get more work down in FCW. He's not to far from where Darren is, so he might get my #2 spot next week, but either way I don't think he should go to a 3rd straight season. It would take something amazing for him to make it past Darren and Titus on my list.

And there you have my thoughts on NXT. I'll be back Thursday for Superstars and Impact Wrestling. A news post should be coming shortly after midnight. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment