Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts- 6/30/11

Today on Superstars, Tyson Kidd teams up with former Corre members Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel to take on Trent Barreta and the Uso brothers.Then on Impact Wrestling, 3 ghosts of X-Division past return to battle for a spot in a match to get a new TNA contract. Plus, Sting continues his descent into madness. All this and plenty more coming up. Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen.
I wonder how Gail Kim vs. Kharma would have turned out.

I wish Gail had more of a presence in the Divas' division. It'd be a stretch to say she even has a gimmick. She's good, though.

Solid match-up.

I was expecting Beth to nail her with a clothesline when they were posing there. Or Melina attacking.

Either JTG's getting better in his heel role, or I'm just getting more used to it, because I actually liked that promo.

Chris Masters: forever midcard. Well, Masters in his 2nd WWE run at least.

I miss Cryme Tyme. The gimmick was getting long in the tooth when they ended it, but now I don't think I'd mind if it returned. They had some pretty clever sayings.

I still want to see someone acknowledge Nunzio and use him in a brief angle. Maybe Drew McIntyre could take him on?

Not a bad match.

I wonder what we'll see in the future from Andy. For his sake, I hope they CAN teach charisma.

I wonder if they'll ever let Kaitlyn use her own music again.

Nice flair in her entrance.

If WWE was only made for my enjoyment, Striker would call more matches. He cracks me up in similar ways to Booker.

Kaitlyn does seem like she'd be a pretty fun chick to pal around with, but that's really not here or there.

Kaitlyn seems to be getting better in the ring. I don't know exactly what it is, but she's worked (and is still working) in FCW during her hiatus from TV. AJ, Naomi, Aksana, and Maxine are also still working there, along with a number of other ex- (and future) NXT wrestlers.

This feels inconsistent. They do a lot of replays and mentions of Punk's promo, but on this package, they jump right to the triple threat stuff.

They really should have put the Rebound BEFORE the look at next week's show.

Could they make it any more obvious that the promo was a work?

That was weird... I like the Usos, but that dance was a little out there.

Slater and Gabriel have a really dumb Titantron.

That headbutt spot was ridiculous.

I just realized that WWE will likely have the Usos feud against each other at some point in their career. Hopefully it's later rather than sooner.

What happened to Tyson Kidd looking for a manager?

Awesome suplex spot!

Fine match. That was a pretty good end to the show.

On to Impact Wrestling.

Well, that was strange. I think this is the most interesting Sting's been since he came back to TNA in 2006.

I'm ready for a Hogan face turn if it means we don't get any more promos like this.

There's too much gray area with TNA's characters.

I guess Steiner's in Immortal now. After being brought in to FACE Immortal in the second "they" storyline.

Wow, what a bad name. Hopefully that's part of Sting's gimmick.

So, what percentage of fans watching know what a "mark" is? And he's not Hulk, he's Terry. Fun. Has any work of fiction other than wrestling ever had someone just go "you're not the character you're playing, you're just acting!" then make believe that everything else on the show is real?

Is the water bottle a reference to the R-Truth angle in WWE?

Sting has Hogan in the Scorpion Deathlock! This is why I watch WCW Nitro instead of WWF Raw

Two weeks ago, Steiner and Bully Ray were lobbying insults at each other. Now they're walking to the ring together on the same page. Crazy.

I think the main drawback to the BFG Series is that the point values change almost daily. There's barely time to soak in the current standings before there's another change to look at.

The fans are cheering for Devon? Wow. This is the same venue where the fans used to sing "Joe's gonna kill you" during matches.

Devon's still got it apparently. I can't believe I wanted Team 3D to retire a few years ago.

I like the psychology and story in this match. My golly it actually means something!

Where was this Devon a couple years back!?

I surprisingly don't mind that the older, Attitude Era guy beat the younger fresher wrestler because it continues build to a storyline. If Joe gets built up in the long run, that's all that matters.

Kazarian's not doing it for me. That whole promo exchange was bad. I'm pulling for Joe for sure.

I'm surprised that Low Ki came back, even just for a night (?)

Hahahahaha I didn't even recognize Matt Bentley!

And Flying Elvis version of Jimmy Wang Yang? This is a blast from TNA's past.

Please bring Low Ki back. Dude was awesome in the X-Division.

I actually thought Bentley was done with wrestling, but that was years ago.

I like Yang a good deal as well. A solid entertainer/performer.

How is Yang not already in TNA or back in WWE?

I'd rather see Yang and Low Ki than Austin Aries and whoever the guy was who won last week.

Could they make it any more obvious that they're showing off Angelina's cleavage? Seriously...

Still not crazy about the "cameraman is part of the show" thing.

Why are they showing Joe's fight with Crimson in the bar ag... oh, he's beating up Kazarian this time. That would be a lot more badass if they built it up/talked about it more.

Didn't really care for Hogan's promo, as usual.

Tessmacher's music sounds familiar.

Everyone in this match other than Madison is a former WWE Diva (Angelina worked in developmental a number of years ago).

This match is chaos.

Yeah, I'm officially not getting the Winter/Angelina storyline anymore.

So, Mickie beat Winter one-on-one, and now beat her after overcoming 3-on-1 odds. So why should we believe that Winter has a chance of taking her title in 2 weeks?

As far as sleeve tattoos go, Gunner's are pretty cool.

Gunner's not an amazing promo, but I don't think they should pull the rug out from under him or anything. Talk about your seemingly out-of-nowhere pushes.

I don't even remember the last time TNA used a contract signing. They're kind of played out.

Styles vs. Daniels was pretty kick-ass in the pre-Spike TV days. I don't think they can recreate that 2005 magic, but I could very well be surprised.

Speaking of trying to recreate the past, Jerry Lynn and RVD first faced off... what 15 years ago?

This is like Old School Raw but with TNA.

All of Styles' opponents have at least 7 years on him. Lynn has 15. On paper, Styles would seem the obvious choice against the 40+ers, but age isn't everything.

No one went through the table? That's got to be a first.

It's pretty weird seeing them wrestle with a carpet in the ring.

I think Gunner winning the TNA Title would be the most talked about thing in the company since Jeff Hardy at Victory Road.

Sting is Charlie Sheen in facepaint.

The fact that we're saying Sting facing Scott Steiner in a major promotion's main event in 2011 would come as quite a shock to someone during the last few months/years of WCW.

HD interviews aren't very flattering at times. Save that for DVDs or something.

Crimson vs. Robert Roode? I'm fine with that.

We'll see if Lynn can still go next week, unless they do something that saves that for the PPV.

It makes sense that Mexican America would be upset that they're not in the BFG Series.

These guys are either going to make a larger faction or we're getting a somewhat random face turn.

I was wondering where Terry had gotten to. I guess I'm ok with this feud, other than the sudden alignment change.

Not a bad match, even if it did feel like an advertisement for WWE's Best of Nitro DVD.

I was going to make fun of TNA for having Hogan, Steiner, Bubba Ray Dudley, Sting, and Kurt Angle in its final segment, but treating a taped fist like brass knuckles is even funnier.

And that's all for this week's shows. I'll be back tomorrow for Smackdown, headlined by Randy Orton vs. Mark Henry. A news post will be up at some point after midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment