Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts- 6/2/11

This week on Superstars, the WWE Tag Team Champions are in action as the New Nexus' McGillicutty and Otunga take on Santino Marella and Vladimir Kozlov. Then on Impact Wrestling, Mr. Anderson once more goes after Sting while the power struggle between Foley and Hogan continues. Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen!

I'm not crazy about the new ring announcer.

Striker managing Kidd now? This just gets weirder each week, but presumably it's leading to someone being a successful manager for him or him deciding he doesn't need a manager.

Why does Striker have 2 phones? I guess he's on a lot of business calls as a manager or something.

Hopefully Striker isn't the guy they end up going with in the role. It just seems kind of an odd fit, at least with what I'm used to seeing in a manager.

Well then, at least Tyson won. He at least needs to move to a new opponent if this story continues. It wasn't a bad match; it's just time to shake things up.

The post-match conversation was good. I might have to change my mind if this goes another week.

The Corre and the New Nexus on the same show, eh? How many people thought Gabriel, Slater, and Otunga would still be on the main roster now?

I guess The Usos are faces in this match.

A "You mad?" sign? This is getting a little out of hand. Inside jokes aren't as funny when they're all over the place.

Booker's commentary's all over the place. I have little idea what he's talking about at times.

Maybe the newly face (?) Usos will feud with the newly heel Khali and Jinder Mahal.

Have they done an angle with The Usos and the Bella Twins yet? They could confuse everyone with their twin-ness. And then they could have kids who would also be twins.

I just noticed that the Usos have their thumbs taped like their uncle Umaga did.

That's what I get for thinking the Usos had a chance at winning. Also, Uso is really fun to say.

I think Justin Gabriel could do well as a midcard face down the line. It wouldn't shock me to see him in the Intercontinental Title picture when that happens.

Good for them for keeping that tag team title win important.

Oh shi- he just said "The Beautiful People".

I wish these matches meant more. Melina in particular I'd love to see more of.

I wish Gail had more of a character.

Melina's just plain evil in there.

That submission move was awesome. These two can work.

Not a bad match at all. A little short maybe.

I'm still not feeling the press conference thing. It's cute and all, but for promoting the "entertainers" competing in their "entertainments" it's not working so well.

Weren't the Bellas just bullying Kharma on Raw?

That R-Truth segment was fantastic. I think the Rebound might have been a bit overdone, though.

I wish WWE would promote this show more. If they don't think the show matters, why should the fans?

Santino's emotions in the ring are great.

Not a bad main event. In theory, this would make the champions a little stronger by beating their potential challengers.

On to Impact Wrestling.

Well that's one way to start the show. I personally prefer when they start the show with a segment that sets up the rest of the show. I mean, on House, the first part of the show sets up what the case is, and the rest of the show is about solving the case. Or whatever the story of the show is.

But I suppose it's good to start things off differently every once in a while to try to suck the viewers in and so on.

ODB looks very different as a brunette. I guess it's because she's heel now.

I figured ODB would come back and attack Tessmacher, too.

I don't really like the gray ("black and white") pictures of wrestlers in the Impact Wrestling graphics. It looks kind of silly; I'd prefer it to show the wrestlers in full-color.

Glad they did rundown some matches for tonight.

Anderson's a dead ringer for old-school Sting.

Kendrick's having issues with Bischoff, but they have a fairly civil conversation on the match for tonight.

I don't know how long Sabin will actually be out.

Meh. Shelley did get a fair push from this, but I'm not feeling that team. Not a bad choice storyline-wise, however.

I'm really keeping my eye on Crimson. He might turn out to be a diamond in the rough if he keeps going like this.

Damn, that wasn't bad at all. Props to TNA for giving us a good wrestling match here. I think they've got something with the Crimson/Joe feud.

I really didn't feel the Anderson/Young segment.

This story with Winter just keeps getting weirder.

Bad camerawork everywhere! Segment after segment after segment of ignoring the cameraman who makes it painfully obvious that he's there with the intentional shakiness.

Miss Tessmacher. Wow.

Winter's theme song's growing on me.

Giving more hype to the main event- good. It has 3 former multiple-time World Champions: they should treat it as a big deal.

Awesome spot with the victory roll.

This was mostly a good segment. It did what it was supposed to do: make Angelina look like a monster while also showing us what Miss Tessmacher can do in the ring. I was wondering where Mickie James was, though.

How many TNA fans actually know who The Great Muta is? Not to insult them, but it's been a long time since he's been in on TV in an American promotion.

It would have been bizarrely entertaining if they played it straight with both men playing the characters they're made up as.

Also, if Eric was watching last week on TV, wouldn't he know about the hiding cameraman? Unless, of course, he's ok with the cameraman, in which case it wouldn't matter if the person didn't "hide".

Anderson, as #1 Contender to the World Title, shouldn't have gone down to a midcard comedy act that easily. If they wanted to use the mist, have him use it on Gunner.

Fine match by X-Division standards. Thankfully it was more than just spot after spot. There was enough psychology there to make those spots mean something.

Things were going swimmingly until Abyss came down. They had a hot story to build off until then. It felt a bit overbooked: they started an extra period AND had a run-in. I'd have preferred it if they either didn't give them more time, or Abyss attacked before the bell rang for it.

I'm rather surprised they're (presumably) done with Dreamer in this angle.

I mostly liked Bully Ray's promo. Then we got to the "penis size" stuff.

Overall, this worked. AJ's still not great on the mic, but he's done worse. Good match to set up for next Sunday.

Good promotion for the PPV.

I'm predicting some kind of swerve with the Eric Bischoff angle. Wait, if I expect it, is it still a swerve?

Nice tag match for next week. It's done all the time, but it's simple and effective.

That was a weak-looking low blow. I think he should have needed something a little stronger to put Morgan out.

The Angle-Jarrett stuff was too much yelling. Good other than that, though.

See, swerve. If they really just killed the whole network angle, that was seriously lame. Foley made some matches and changed the show's name, but now presumably Bischoff and Hogan can do whatever they want again? I'm willing to wait to see where this goes, but I don't have high hopes if it's going to go that route. We could of course get some sort of counter-swerve or something next week that nullifies this or keeps the network in power or whatever, but as for now, this one's a headscratcher.

Anyway, I was more pleased with the show than I usually am, that sour taste in my mouth from the ending aside. But that's all for tonight. I'll be back for Smackdown tomorrow, and a news post will be up later today. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment