Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Smackdown thoughts- 6/10/11

Last week, Christian rented space in the mind of the World Heavyweight Champion when he clocked Randy Orton with the title belt. As Capitol Punishment looms, what else will transpire in the World Title picture? Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.
Cool video package to start the show.

I get the feeling they don't know exactly what "trending topic" means and they just use it because it's a buzz word/phrase.

This promo's kind of weird. I think he'd be better in a tweener role than full-on heel.

You could have had the Corre segment on mute and still know what Gabriel and Slater were thinking. Good.

I'd love to know how many remixes that Corre song's had. It's like a running gag at this point.

I love how people randomly go from heel to face or vice versa when the draft happens. Tamina's a heel now and The Usos are faces.

I'm surprised that there's no stipulation for Barrett vs. Jackson next Sunday. At least not yet.

Jimmy Uso: Pop, pop.

I think the Usos could get over as faces based on this match.

I like the "don't try this" ads.

Barrett could indeed be a World Champion. I'm surprised it didn't happen when he was leading Nexus.

Awesome ending sequence. I'd prefer the Dominator as Zeke's finisher though. The Torture Rack can be a move that weakens someone for it.

WWE's promoting gambling. Gasp! That was kind of silly. I think he should be talking business, i.e. "yeah, we got big things happening tonight" or "did you see what Ezekiel just did? I think we might be looking at a new Intercontinental Champion". Obviously a "playa" needs to be the in there, too.

I guess The Corre won't be needing anymore remixes. Unless Gabriel and Slater use the song now.

Interesting outfit for Jinder.

I wonder if Ranjin will manage someone to face Jinder. Maybe they'll turn Tyson Kidd face and team them? That'd be pretty cool.

So-so match. Too short to do much as far as showing what Jinder can do in the ring.

Yeah, that Divas segment was a little lame. Where's Kaitlyn?

Not a bad match. AJ seemed a little tentative (excited/anxious/nervous?) but other than that it was fine. It could just be that the two of them haven't faced off much and gotten much chemistry. For people who want to see more of what AJ can do, check out her match with Naomi from NXT.

Christian was hilarious impersonating Teddy Long. What can I say, I have a weird sense of humor.

Hmm. I'm warming up to this feud. Though I continue to wonder where Mark Henry is in all of it.

WWE doing something like TNA's camerawork is starting to get annoying.

Not a bad segment with Rhodes and DiBiase. Rhodes' gimmick is one that can either be done well or end up in the pile of "what the heck were they thinking?". So far it's in the former category, but I'm not really sure where they go with it from here.

Cara continues to adjust to WWE. He's definitely improving in that regard. I wonder how well Averno will do when he comes in.

This is another feud I don't really know where they're going with. I guess a tag team rematch with a stipulation for the PPV?

Sin Cara's clearly got the moves; it's just using them in the right times and places in the ring (which is bigger I think than the rings in Mexico). See Del Rio's interview on the next news post for the differences between WWE and lucha libre.

Booker's hilarious on commentary, perhaps inadvertently. It's not helping this match at all, though.

Another nice match. His gestures still feel somewhat forced, however.

Johnny Curtis is a weird dude. The segment was somewhat clever, but it didn't really make me want to see him compete.

I'd be remiss if I didn't note that a no-DQ match between the World Champion and a top contender should be promoted for a longer period of time.

The spots on the chairs have been pretty cool.

The foot in the ropes spot was good as well.

If I'm not saying much in a match, I'm generally enjoying it.

This needs to be at least a triple threat at the PPV. Not sure why Henry isn't in the picture this week.

That's all for Smackdown (which I had to wait to catch on Hulu). I'll be back Sunday for Slammiversary IX and a news post is upcoming. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment