Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

NXT thoughts- 6/7/11

And then there were 4. Tonight the remaining NXT rookies continue to compete for a spot on the next sason. Who will stand out of the pack? Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.

The numbers continue to shrink, indeed. How many people still watch this show?

Hey, they run out of ideas when there are only so many people on the show and so much time to fill.

That was weird. I did crack up at Yoshi's answer, though.

Yoshi vs. JTG - what a feud. NXT is like the Superstars of Superstars.

Yay, another elimination next week. What's the over/under on how many more weeks this goes? I'm going with 4 weeks. Elimination week, then after another breather week, two straight elimination weeks. Unless they decide to do 2 eliminations in 1 week to end the show. Hopefully all this time they're taking up is being used well by the FCW students who will be on the next season.

Is there really anyone who doesn't know about WrestleMania being on DVD?

The dream sequence thing gets dumber every time they do it.

This show couldn't get much more creatively bankrupt. It's like an endurance test for WWE fans.

Ok, at least this show gives a chance to see where the rookies are as performers.

This show feels like it's in slow motion sometimes.

If WWE doesn't make much money from "That's What I Am", it certainly won't be from lack of advertising.

I thought they said it was a Louis Vatton purse a few weeks ago?

Ok, I actually did like the part with the candy bracelet. I was all set to groan, but that was kind of funny.

And... that's the show. On to my tier list. I've actually been doing this incorrectly recently: I'm only supposed to update the tiers for non-elimination shows and save the actual numbered ranks for when someone's going home. Oops. In other words the order is the same this week, not necessarily because I think they're in the same place, but because my initial idea was to only give rankings during elimination weeks.

Also remember that in a nutshell, Top Tier means "I want to see more of them", Middle Tier means "I'm fairly indifferent on them" and Bottom Tier means "I don't want to see them any more". So it's possible for there not to be all 3 tiers.

Top Tier:
Titus O'Neil (Last week-1): It's getting harder to separate my boredom of the show in general with my feelings on the rookies. They're not particularly bad or anything; I'm just ready for something new. Titus is still mostly impressive with his in-ring work. His personality could still use some work, but he seems like the most prepared worker on the show. He hasn't totally eclipsed Lucky, but if he can get a solid personality he could very well have this one in the bag. (Or at least he would if I were choosing).

Lucky Cannon (Last week-2): Lucky's in somewhat of a tough spot. I've enjoyed his personality this season (though it isn't as pronounced as it was in the early weeks), but I don't think he has the ring skills down quite yet. Back in Season 2, I basically saw him as a generic wrestler who didn't stand out much. Not bad per se, just nothing to write home about. Without his gimmick supporting him, he creeps closer to that level. Winning the competition (or being my choice to win it, more accurately) isn't totally out of reach, but it's going to take some work to pass Titus.

Darren Young (Last week-3): I'm somewhat conflicted on Darren at this point. One thing this week's show didn't do a very good job of was showing us the rookies' personalities. At the end of the day, that's what needs to be important (as far as who should win). I can't say that I blame them for trying to build a program between JTG and Tatsu to give us something, anything fresh to watch on the show, but the point is supposed to be the focus on the rookies. Next week needs to have some sort of promo-off or something to see who separates from the pack (and to do something with redemption points, because Titus is pretty much unstoppable in that category). Anyway, Darren is definitely not bad in the ring. I like him ok, but there's just that something missing from him to put him higher up (a lot of it I think is personality; I enjoyed his heel stuff with Hornswoggle but he hasn't done much since then). That all being said, I think he's still in the top tier by a smidgen and isn't out of the competition just yet.

Middle Tier:
Conor O'Brian (Last week-4): If there was an elimination this week, I think Conor could have been in trouble. He impressed enough this week for it to not be a total no-brainer for who I think should go home next week, but next week I think is really going to make or break him. He's going to need to show something amazing to stick around. He seems to be improving in the ring and could very well have potential in his more serious role, but right now he's the candidate for "going back to FCW to brush up on everything before getting another chance". It's possible that he'll switch places with Darren and be my choice to be eliminated, but he's going to need to be on his A game next week.

And that's that. See, I still care enough to evaluate the rookies. I'm pretty much planning to watch this show every week regardless of my feelings on it because it is a wrestling show that has an audience and there's always a chance it could get back on TV in the States, so I feel I should cover it.

Anyway, I'll be back for Superstars and Impact Wrestling on Thursday, and a news post will be up later tonight. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment