Total Pageviews

Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 mission statement

It's a new year, so what better time to re-evaluate what I'm doing here? First off, a big thank you to everyone who's viewed this blog, commented, etc.. Over 10,000 views in the first year is pretty overwhelming to be honest. Rest assured that the coverage of the current TV shows will remain intact (barring a major unforeseen event). At this point I'm unsure how the WWE Network will impact things here, other than the fact that there's no way that I'll be able to cover all of what's featured there. I'll make a further decision on that when details are more prevalent. At the very least, I've decided that I won't cover shows that aren't linked to wrestling (in-ring action) in some way. Regardless of how I feel about the shows' contents (reality shows, cooking shows, whatever the case may be), the fact remains that this is a wrestling blog. While part of me would love to cover all of the shows, it's possible that I'd be blogging pretty heavily in doing so. Sadly, that's not feasible for a number of reasons. This blog is meant to be something of a hobby. I have other things like school and a future job that are going to have to come first.

By no means do I plan to stop the blog or cut back on the number of posts I make. But, due to other concerns like I mentioned, I'm not going to be able to cover every little thing that happens in the news. That overlaps with my goal to make the blog more wrestling-related. There are a couple of things that are going to be cut starting with the next news post. Read on after the break for more on this.



 Lawsuits: I'm generally not very familiar with the subject matter at hand, so there's not going to be much I can add to other sites' coverage of such things. Some exceptions will be made if they're pretty important to wrestling as a whole (such as the current Hepatitis C lawsuit). Things like disputes over buildings and fees and the like aren't "related enough" for me to cover them.

Tweets and blogs: To me it feels redundant to post such things here. Theoretically if someone wants to know what a specific performer is talking about, they can follow their Twitter or blog? For a list of WWE personalities (employees) on Twitter, check who WWE is following. If WWE's not following them and they don't have a Twitter handle shown on-screen, they're not who they say they are! For TNA, here's who they're following. If something's specifically related to an angle, I might post it if there's time, and I'll try to cover responses to deaths and such, too.

Business news: Part of me doesn't want to cut coverage of this kind of thing, because a lot of it's generally pretty interesting. BUT a good amount of it's not wrestling-related as much as business-related. WWE's Corporate website and TNA's website generally have these kind of things. That being said, I'll still do coverage of PPV buyrates and ratings and the like since they're an important barometer of success. I'll also try to cover the big quarterly earnings calls, at least as far as they have to do with wrestling.

Anything a company or wrestler is doing unrelated to wrestling: WWE Films, for instance. While they sometimes involve wrestlers, that's more of the job of a films website than a wrestling one. If a performer takes time off to shoot a movie or something, that's still fair game because it affects what they're doing as wrestlers. I'll try to keep up with charity appearances, but I can't make any guarantees they won't be cut for time purposes. YouTube shows and things of that sort on the other hand will continue to be covered if they're wrestling-related (Zack Ryder's show for instance).


Merchandise: WWEShop.com and ShopTNA.com have you covered here. If you want to see if your favorite performer has merchandise available, those are the places to go! Ditto for things like DVD releases.

Anything about a wrestling promotion that isn't nationally televised (unless it's a developmental territory): I simply don't have the time to cover much other than WWE and TNA. If a company becomes "major enough" and gets a show on an easily accessible channel (i.e. not in syndication or only seasonally), then I'll look to cover it, too.

There are probably other things that I've left out that won't be covered- it's kind of a work in progress and case-by-case basis. I'm doing this to be more consistent with my goal of covering mainstream wrestling. Any questions or concerns about this new strategy should be left in the comments section. A news post will be up soon. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment