Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts- 1/19/12

Today on WWE Superstars, Alex Riley collides with Jinder Mahal in a clash of rising stars. Then, on Impact Wrestling, the World Title situation heats up with Bobby Roode, Jeff Hardy, Bully Ray, and James Storm. Also, the Knockouts live up to that moniker as Mickie James faces off with Madison Rayne in a steel cage! All that and more is coming up. Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen!

I wish we got to see more of what Natalya can bring to the table as a wrestler. She's very good.

I like the new more umm... wild, jungle-esque look from Tamina.

Hahahahaha. David after Dentist reference. WWE truly has everything now.

Damned fine submission. Natalya's very good at all parts of a match.

Also a great sharpshooter counter. Natalya should pass some pointers to the other Divas.

Tamina's fitting into this role fairly well. She seems more natural as a babyface.

How many times have we seen this footage now? We'll probably see it again on Smackdown. I think it kind of loses its potency when they show it so much.

I half picture AJ returning psychotic.

That's a very interesting tag team combination.

Ha. Ricardo sign.

I'm just not feeling Mason. Big guy. Strong. All that kind of stuff. I just don't see anything beyond that. I don't know how far he can get in 2012 without good mic skills a la Batista.

Hawkins and Reks aren't a bad team, non-traditional as they may be.

Mason's built and all, but I don't think he's believable as being THAT dominant.

Poor Hawkins.

Stanford's fun on commentary.

I really don't care for that Rumble song.

I'm glad Riley's getting a more unique look. I'm getting pretty tired of the generic ring gear so many have.

Jinder's got pretty good facial expressions and the like. Riley's no slouch, either.

Wait. Jinder's a bad guy. If anything, movie stars should shun him.

Good move from the corner by Riley.

Both of those guys, while they need more experience, seem to have some good basics of how to do a match. Good run by Riley getting the crowd into what he was doing.

Jinder seems to be growing. I can see the argument that he was brought up too early, though. Not a bad match.

Nice start to Impact Wrestling. Storm's got fire, and his win over Angle was portrayed as important instead of beating some shlub. If you call your opponent a piece of trash, all you did was beat a piece of trash (as opposed to an amazing wrestler).

So far, so good as the World Champion comes out. That song fits his new slimy demeanor.

I think Sting will disagree with Roode's assessment of the situation.

Sting's GREAT at involving the crowd in all of this. It makes it look more like they decide who gets the match.

Ick. Eric Young vs. Angelina Love. If I wasn't bound by some kind of duty to cover it, I'd skip that.

Ooh. This will be interesting, since both Styles and Gunner are future prospects. I'm guessing we get interference?

I just got flashbacks to Styles modeling himself after Flair. God, that was bad. It wasn't that good of a fit.

I wonder if British wrestling companies have performers with names like American Bulldog or the American Invasion.

I also wonder how many fans know Flair almost entirely as a manager, never seeing him when he could still go pretty well in the ring.

No problems with this match. Despite the contrasting repertoires, they did well enough.

Right way to end that one to protect Styles but still enhance Gunner (without putting too much focus on Flair).

I'm looking forward to Magnus vs. Crimson. Talk about someone I didn't see coming out in such a big way.

Great verbal sparring and overall segment from Sting and Bully Ray. I didn't like there being unrelated, unimportant people in the background, though.

I'm not crazy about some of TNA's music.

Good sneak attack! Magnus is coming up in the world.

Nice match. Crimson capitalized on a mistake, so it wasn't like he stopped Magnus' momentum.

I like these four guys and the physicality they all bring. I haven't cared this much about a tag feud in quite some time.

The only good part of that segment was the "Cyborg" quip.

Forced "awkward" comedy here.

Good video package. If Garett can pick things up well in the ring, he's got the backstory and attention to be someone important.

Not bad with Mickie and Madison backstage. No screeching is always a plus.

Hmm. I think we might be on the road to Madison going face and facing Gail.

So far, so good. They're starting things off kind of big.

That scissors stomp's kind of ridiculous. We could use some explanation of why that does more damage to Mickie than to Madison's knees.

Mickie/Tara this wasn't.

Austin Aries is a very natural talker.

That Knockouts segment felt kind of forced. Not really feeling that.

Good video package.

I like Aries' confidence and him working the crowd.

Good by Shelley too.

This got a little juvenile in places, but they played off of each other well. You could tell they were comortable.

I could never see ODB again and probably be ok with it. Winter on the other hand did well.

Overly long gag...

I'd be VERY ok with someone coming down and jumping Young.

Meh. At least people are into it.

Weird in some ways that the cage match didn't headline.

I like that they're having the TNA Original they're trying to make into a main eventer work with another experienced and successful headliner.

Where IS Abyss? What could Bully Ray have possibly done to take him out after the war they had?

This is another case of me not saying much because I'm pretty much sucked in.

I really liked the jumping kick. Storm's a more varied performer than I initially thought.

Terrible bump by Hebner.

I like Bully Ray using the beer bottle.

I hope this is leading to a Fatal 4 Way. That'd be great.

Thankfully we didn't end with the focus on Bully Ray on Sting.

Enjoyable promo by Roode. He's really come a long way as this character.

Good ending with Roode, Hardy, and Storm. Everyone's doing well.

That being said, I'm glad they set the stage for next week's show.

That's all for Thursday's wrestling. I'll be back for Smackdown tomorrow, and a news post will be up later. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment