Total Pageviews

Friday, January 6, 2012

Smackdown thoughts- 1/6/12

It's the first Smackdown of 2012 and WWE's putting their best foots forward for the new year. World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan defends his crown against Big Show and Booker T. comes for Cody Rhodes' Intercontinental Title. Who's going to lead the brand into the year ahead? Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.

Good video package to start us off tonight.

Big Show vs. Daniel Bryan's got some pretty good story behind it. This could be a milestone in the ROH alum's career.

This one could be big, too.

I'm really hoping for a Rhodes win here. I think Booker's still got it, but we need to build for the future now. Booker's not going to be around forever.

Good start from both men.

Chopfest!

Booker can still go. Glad he isn't just coasting on his reputation.

We've got a pretty solid bout going on here.

They've built this up well, and it's delivering. We need more stories setting up matches.

NICE intensity from Rhodes.

Booker can tell a story in there for sure.

Great set-up for the Scissors Kick.

I thought he $%#&@*% HAD him there. All set to put over Booker's work in getting to the title.

That was pretty big for Cody. Everyone involved (commentators included) gets props for me. I wouldn't mind another round from these two (if not more than one).

Booker earned that post-match reaction. Very good job in showing he's not washed up.

I'm loving the elevation of Rhodes. He could be in for a breakout year.

Glad that they're wrapping up the Ryder as Assistant GM angle.

Good difference in character and demeanor between McIntyre and Santino here.

I hope this is leadng to McIntyre being a serious threat on Smackdown.

Kind of a late dinner...

JR and Joey Styles on commentary, and fans loving John Cena. Why tease us with better days, WWE?

I really like the pairing of Daniel Bryan and AJ. He's a very good wrestler, and she's one of the most natural-sounding Divas I've ever heard.

This could go badly...

Thankfully this was kept kind of short. Poor Slater.

A way to get Justin Gabriel over? Yay! He's got something and I hope he can be as good as he has the potential to be.

I like DiBiase's new tights. Glad he's moving away from just being a 2nd generation guy.

Good promo to set this one up by Hunico and Comacho.

Working hard to get noticed despite the stupid commentary.

Hunico's got some serious skills. That international background has helped him tremendously.

DiBiase's no slouch either. Very impressed with how far he's come since the early days.

That finisher was pretty awesome. Looking forward to more from this duo.

They've got potential to make Barrett a major heel.

That sounds like a good read from WWE Magazine.

Great verbiage from Barrett. Selfish and evil. And of course, an exaggerating liar.

Good to hear big cheers for Sheamus.

Good promo from Sheamus as always.

Jinder was a bit of a surprise, but whatever. It makes sense given their recent matches.

I hope we see Barrett vs. Sheamus for the World Title before year's end.

David vs. Goliath. Fingers crossed for a big Daniel Bryan moment here.

Not a bad little match here.

Hopefully this is leading to something for McIntyre.

Didn't see a WCW reference coming outside of Booker's match.

Mahahaha. Damn you Cole. That doesn't look good for the World Champion to lose to a commentator, even in a video game. They should have said that that wasn't realistic or something. Bryan should be able to make Cole tap in no time flat.

Santino as assistant GM could be fun.

I like Rosa in this role. Much better than her wrestling.

Great athletes here.

I think WCW and the original Tough Enough should be considered before the time of most fans watching. Seven year rule and all.

Good match and a good story to keep the feud going. Glad the tag team division's coming along now.

I'm really liking douchebag Bryan interrupting Big Show. I hope he ends the night as the jerkass champion of the World.

Sheamus vs. Jiner's fine by me.

Natalya's GREAT with facial expressions. Talented lady.

I like Tamina's new look. Rule 63 Snuka?

This isn't a match; it's a fight!!

Very impressive display of power by the daughter of Superfly. Well put-together story. She can be downright scary if used right.

I like Mark Henry being on commentary since he's still a big player in all of this.

Maybe Daniel Bryan being a cocky jerk will overshadow the burial on commentary.

I agree with Henry about Cole's commentary. Maybe he should come out more often?

I'll restrain from jumping to conclusions just a few minutes into the match.

I definitely hope Jericho faces Bryan again at some point.

He's got a chance to do it! Outmaneuvering the giant!

Henry's great on commentary selling himself as a future contender.

Bryan's taking it to Show, which I wish Mathews would point out.

Big Show can still move pretty well. I'll give him that.

YEAH! Great counter.

But Show fights ou- NO WAIT, LEBELL LOCK!

And then he fights out.

Really good psychology by Bryan.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! A douchebag AND a genius. He's growing on me as a top player. If he can keep it up, I think he'll get me fully behind him in the role. Stars aren't made overnight after all.

That's all for Smackdown. I'll be back for TNA Genesis on Sunday, and a news post will be up later tonight. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment