Total Pageviews

Friday, January 27, 2012

Smackdown thoughts- 1/27/12

We're only 2 nights away from the first WWE PPV of 2012. The Royal Rumble will determine who gets a guaranteed WWE or World Heavyweight Championship match at WrestleMania XXVIII. One of the favorites to win is hometown boy Randy Orton, who returns to WWE tonight. Also on Sunday, Daniel Bryan will defend the World Heavyweight Championship against Big Show and Mark Henry. Those two challengers will collide in a mass of humanity in tonight's main event. Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.

Whatever movie was just on SyFy was pretty awesome if the last couple of minutes were any indication.

Oh, Amityville Horror. I remember seeing that.

Big Show triggers an immediate "ugh" reaction from me.

So much for the theory of AJ turning heel with Bryan in a Harley Quinn overly devoted girlfriend deal. That sounded SO good, too. Nothing can live up to how that would be in my mind.

Big Show looks kind of worn out here.

Don't tease me like that. Seriously, though, I think he's important enough to WWE that he'll stick around for a while. He is a good guy that loves the business, despite my personal lack of caring for him.

Where's the World Title?

Jerk Daniel Bryan is the best Daniel Bryan.

Ouch. The old WWF did have more genetic freaks than Andre. King Kong Bundy. Bastion Booger. Kurrgan.

DAMN. That was pretty compelling stuff. This can't be the same guy from NXT Season 1.

I lol'd. A far cry from Sexual Chocolate.

Bryan's not THAT much shorter than these two.

They're really giving away Orton/Barrett on Orton's first night back?

That one sounds like it'll be a train wreck.

I like the smug, cunning character Bryan's playing.

THAT PROMO. Cody Rhodes has it all going for him as a future champion. Unique look and a character plays well. He has varied offense and can work with a lot of different performers.

I like the evolving look of Justin Gabriel. He's got something as a character.

Ugh. The commentary garbage starts.

I like the Rumble stats. We should get more of this.

Both of these guys did pretty well here. Rhodes has got to be a future WWE/World Champion, and Gabriel could be on his way to the US/IC Title picture.

Well that was weird. I'd be ok with that tag team.

I really hope this is leading to something other than McIntyre being future endeavored.

That Sheamus sign is awesome.

God, I remember McIntyre's first run on Smackdown. I would have sworn up and down that he was a future top guy and WWE/World Champion.

Didn't Finlay use that move?

This guy is TALENTED. Whoever's mucking up his push backstage needs to watch this match.

Drew McIntyre's job is in jeopardy while Booker T.'s is secure? This is terrible.

I hope Sheamus does headline Mania.

Punk vs. Ziggler will hopefully be huge for both guys. The focus going forward needs to be on guys like them, Bryan, and Rhodes. The Rumble should be a big step towards that. Not that I think Rhodes should win.

How'd I just notice all the weapon shots to the head in that video. I guess I've seen that package so many times lately it's all in the background.

I still don't really care for Yoshi's mask if he's going to be a more laid-back babyface. The whole point of the look change was that he was embracing his dark side. That being said, this eclectic mix could pay off.

I think I miss crazy fangirl Rosa.

Please don't turn Santino into Eric Young.

Heck, Booker's hardly Shakespeare himself.

Now THAT was a good little tag match showcasing WWE's talented undercard superstars. Maybe the tag team division isn't so badly off afterward.

What a manipulative prick! I love it. Why'd it take so long for us to get this Daniel Bryan?

I don't know what number we're on for "End of Days" remixes but I like the current one.

Great promo as always from Barrett. He's got great verbiage.

I'm surprised they actually locked up instead of saving it all for Sunday.

Yeah. Hawkins, Reks, and Barreta are going to stop Orton and Barrett. Come on now.

Hey, at least all those guys can say they were on TV for once. The Usos are the only ones they push anyway.

Hmm. Kaitlyn's surprisingly good as a serious talker. Good segment.

Glad DiBiase's able to work through the injury.

Good of Hunico to work on the arm.

Why is Booker supporting the heel? Terrible.

Damned impressive by Hunico. There are performers this good in FCW and we get some of the so-so call-ups we've gotten? Something really wrong here.

Ha. That music and lighting always shows up at the most appropriate times.

Good by Natalya. Best actress in the division?

HAHAHAHA. Wow. Innuendo.

Come on, now. I know WWE's audience is 3-year-olds, but a fart joke?

Alex Riley's going to job to Brodus Clay? Bad WWE. Bad.

Oh. MAYBE it's a tag match.

Sorry, A-Ry. At least people seem to be into Brodus.

Kane's perverted? Someone saw See No Evil.

You'd think if a performer was really injured they wouldn't show it so many times.

Well then. Not really sure what to make of this.

Aksana competed in the Christmas wish pole match, so this isn't her Smackdown debut.

Wow. Smackdown WAS running long, eh?

I like Tamina's Snuka look.

Wow, yeah. They even rushed through the video game plug.

That was pretty cool by Show.

This one could be ugly.

And here's the guy who should be the center of all of this.

Bryan did put up a fight against Henry, though.

They really need to make up their minds on what side of the coin each commentator's on. But as long as Cole's comments entertain Vince and Kevin Dunn, it's apparently ok for him to be inconsistent with character alignments.

Henry might be in pretty rough shape right now.

WOW. They really goofed with this show's timing.

This should be a bigger moment for Bryan than it's coming across as, commentators.

That was all pretty good from Bryan, but Big Show's got to be indestructible for some reason. How can anyone believably beat him? He's not going to be around forever. They need to be building up performers who aren't as easy to make into credible champions. I really hope this is just a set-up for Bryan retaining on Sunday, because otherwise I'll feel like this whole thing was pretty much a wash.

That's all for Smackdown. I'll be back for the Royal Rumble on Sunday, and a news post will be up later. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment