Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Main Event Reax - 3/6/13, Bearer news, new developmental facility, Tatsu seeking to improve promos, big attendance at Lockdown?, Interviews with RVD/Bruno+HHH/Roberts, WWE seeks new members of Creative, and Questions on using older stars, DiBiase/PTP, Taker vs. Punk, Bully Ray, and Punk vs. Cena

Main Event:
I'm glad WWE started the show with a graphic dedicated to Bearer. I have the sneaking suspicion that Punk will try to get heat by mentioning his passing, which would get tons of heat from the IWC.

I wasn't crazy about Barrett's promo. It's really weird that this bare-knuckle fighter who knocks people out cares about red carpets and Holywood. I get what they're doing, it just seems kind of inconsistent with his character.

Orton vs. Barrett was pretty good. I would normally complain that the wrestler with 2 Wellness strikes going over the up-and-coming performer who's in a WWE movie, but I can see that they'd want Orton looking strong going into Mania.

I liked Rhodes vs. Ryder. Ryder got some good shots in, but it's good that Rhodes prevailed.

Nice quick match between Sin Cara and Cesaro, which is hopefully a set-up for something larger. If they got enough time, I think they could put on a very memorable match.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

Here's part of an old interview with Paul Bearer giving advice to up-and-coming wrestlers. He's right, but I can see younger stars not knowing "who they are" yet.

Here are some Tweets from wrestlers remembering Paul Bearer. It's always sad to report of someone's passing, especially when that person has been such a big part of the business.

Here's another interview excerpt with Bearer. Taker putting over Punk is pretty cool. He wouldn't do that for just anyone.

And here's more. I really hope there's some kind of afterlife where he and his wife have been re-united and are enjoying themselves.

Gasp! Another interview excerpt. I like his laid-back attitude that he'll go in one day.

Jim Ross wrote a blog on Bearer's career. There was some big-time love for this man.

Here are more Tweets from wrestlers remembering Bearer. It's very touching to see so much support for him.

TNA put out a statement on Bearer's passing. Very classy!

It's been reported that Bearer has been diagnosed with a blood clot a few days before his passing, and was wheelchair-bound for a time. 

WWE's new developmental facility in Orlando is expected to be done by the summer. I don't know what all it entails or needs, but I hope it's worth the millions they've poured into it. It does make sense to be near where NXT is taped.

Yoshi Tatsu is taking English lessons. Why is he waiting until now? But yeah, I definitely think it will help his career to be able to cut better promos. His career is really floundering right now and it will take something like that to turn it around.

TNA expects Lockdown to be their most-attended US event ever. That would be great for them. I hope that doesn't just mean they gave out tons of comps.

RVD talked about a LOT of his career. Pretty interesting. The ECW invasion was unfortunately before I started watching but it sounds pretty awesome. I still think he's an incredibly talented worker.

Here's an interview with HHH and Bruno Sammartino. Nothing really new to cover there.

Here's more from the recent Jake "The Snake" Roberts interview. I share the desire that he gets to make another appearance on the big stage once he's fully turned things around. It's a long road to recovery, though.

WWE is seeking some new additions to the Creative team, which honestly will only change so much if Vince's vision is what ultimately prevails.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1.  Of course the heels beat up old-timers to get heat. It makes sense to try to use the part-time nostalgia acts to help get over the stars of today.

2. It doesn't look like they're going that direction, but it's an interesting idea. Outside of the "millions of dollars" thing, I don't really see any connection between the gimmicks.

3. Yeah, I don't see Taker going that long in 2013. I think Taker can win and Punk can still look pretty good (kicking out of finishers, Taker sells disbelief that he can't beat Punk, etc.).

4. I definitely can. A lot of online fans have pitched it. I think I might actually be ok with such a swerve.

5. I appreciate the old-school mentality of calling it in the ring, especially when talented veterans are involved. As was shown there, it can be really beneficial.

More news tomorrow, and a Blue Echo podcast coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment