Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Superstars and Smackdown Reax - 3/29/13

Read on for my thoughts on yesterday's Superstars and Smackdown.

Superstars:
Kofi vs. Primo was pretty good. It's just kind of hard to get into a match with hardly any backstory that I know will ultimately not mean much of anything. It's like pre-season baseball or something where it has no lasting consequences and the higher-ups (and fans) don't pay it much mind. Yes, both guys gain experience and can work on their performances, but it's just a match at the end of the day instead of part of a greater story.

Not much to say about Natalya vs. Askana. Another match with no consequences. It's not like Natalya's going to be in the title hunt for winning a non-televised match. I will say this, though: Aksana's definitely looked worse in there.

Smackdown:
I liked the logic behind Laurinaitis wanting to team with Rock. I guess if someone had to get their ass kicked, it should have been someone who's not an active wrestler. The relation of "candy ass" to Hershey was actually clever. It was a nice throwback to old Rock. I guess tonight I was in the mood for some lightheartedness after Reid Flair's passing.

Barrett vs. Jericho was pretty nice. I was hoping they would fight for the title at Mania. Barrett has the "out" that he was distracted by Miz. As always, I wish the full-timer beat the part-timer.

That was... interesting. Definitely classic Y2J. I think we might be in for something special with Fandango. I wish more feuds/debuts were built up this well.

Paul Heyman should cut promos for every feud, or do commentary again or something. He's just perfect as a talker.

I wasn't crazy about the Ryback/Henry segment, just based on the concept. They did well with it, though. Clever continuation of the angle.

Pretty good little mixed tag match. All four of them are really good at what they do. They don't do "pedestrian" standard matches. Kane and Big E were used well. I like that they tied things back to AJ and Kaitlyn, since that seemed to come back up out of nowhere.

I really like The Shield's promos.

A little surprised that they protected Khali there. Not a bad match as far as Khali matches go.

Pretty good post-match. I'm looking forward to Del Rio vs. Swagger. I think they can tear it up at Mania.

Not a bad segment with Orton, Sheamus, and Show.

Other than the yodeling, the heel promo was great.

Nice 6-man tag. I was ok with the heels losing since they got in some good offense and didn't look like total scrubs. The argument could be made that The Shield interfering before they were pinned would have protected them, but I'll let WWE get away with the clean face win here.

Not a bad ending to the show at all. As long as The Shield don't look like flukes/punks at Mania, I think I'll be ok with how they're booked.

More wrestling coming up, including a Blue Echo podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment