Total Pageviews

Monday, March 25, 2013

Rock gets award, new WWE personnel, WWE's SVP of Talent Relations profiled, Henry hurt?, Dallas update, Interview with Hogan, Foley profiled, Bryan goes international, another ECW Original retiring, and Questions on worst Manias ever, Taker vs. Brock, Taker retiring, and Once In A Lifetime

The Rock won "Best Male Buttkicker" at the Kids' Choice Awards due to his role in "Journey 2: The Mysterious Island".

WWE has hired a new strength and conditioning coach for NXT. Good to know.

WWE Senior VP of Talent Relations Jane Geddes (who works under Triple H) was profiled. WWE is only mentioned briefly. I hope she's doing a good job for them, because it kind of seems like an odd transition from golf to WWE.

There's speculation that Mark Henry is injured following a recent live event match. The referee threw up the "X" and Henry limped to the back. That's concerning. I hope he's good to go by Mania and I bet WWE hopes so, too.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

Bo Dallas worked this weekend's live events, losing to Wade Barrett. I continue to hope that he's improving. Barrett's a good hand for him to work with, but they have to be careful with the booking. Is Wade a credible champion or is he vulnerable to rookies?

Hulk Hogan commented on transgender MMA fighter Fallon Fox. My brain hurts after watching that. SLow news day?

Mick Foley was profiled for his charity work.

Daniel Bryan did publicity in Russia and Poland for WWE's post-Mania tour. I always find it cool to see WWE's international reach.

New Jack is retiring after his 4/5 match with Necro Butcher. He is 50, after all.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. Oh, absolutely. Getting Punk vs. Taker, Rock vs. Cena, and HHH vs. Lesnar is definitely as bad or worse than getting a sumo match, a boxing match, catfights, concerts, a gimmick battle royal, an evening gown match, a pillow fight, The Boogeyman vs. Booker T. and Sharmell, Kane vs. Chavo Guerrero, Snooki, Cole vs. Lawler, Maria Menounous, and Bret Hart vs. Vince McMahon. Austin's unable to attend, and I don't know how much Tyson or Bret would add to things. I always get the feeling that the people saying things like "worst X ever" weren't around for a lot of the previous editions.

2. The good thing about this feature is that anyone can ask anything that they want. The bad thing about this feature is that anyone can ask anything they want. Next.

3. It is a little surprising that there hasn't been anything about them meeting up again. At least WWE doesn't have top stars fighting backstage.

4. Who says he'd want to go out on a loss? I'd hope he would, but don't know for sure. At any rate, I think the Streak should stay alive and him lose at Survivor Series. Unless he wants to retire at WM30, which would be a nice milestone. Though, who knows? Maybe he has longer than that left in him.

5. It is an interesting question, but I think they'd also have to sue all those wrestlers who said they retired and then came back to the ring.

More wrestling tomorrow and a Blue Echo podcast hopefully up later in the day.

4 comments:

  1. Good to know indeed, no one wants to see anyone injured, some people think WWE is "too safe" these days but if all the stars are injured where's the show?

    Golf to Pro Wrestling. i guess I kinda see the...no, let's see.

    Eek, I hope Henry's okay, injury is always bad but in the latter stages of your career...

    Always nice hearing stars doing non-wrestling stuff and all things internationally.

    Wade is still a force to be reckoned with in my eyes, I can't fault the guy too much after wins against Orton and in that Triple Threat.

    1. I admit, the build-up hasn't felt as strong as it could have, then again by 29 I'm sure that WWE are sure that people will watch. Which wrestling fan is gonna boycott the year's biggest show?

    2. Poor Sandow must be feeling that one!

    3. Not much to say here either

    4. I think Undertaker himself *wants* to lose but his problem is everyone else wants him to win! Orton was supposed to snap the Streak but Orton said no. I can totally see Punk saying the same. Even Triple H, metafictioanlly said it last year. You're right, I thought last year was Taker's curtain call but who's knows, does even he know!?

    5. Nah ludicrous, if that was the case then surely Kane would be in jail for murder, Triple H for breaking and entering etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's not just dangerous spots that cause injury but wear-and-tear. There are undoubtedly people on the roster right now who are hurting but won't take time off.

    From golf to wrestling is definitely strange on the surface, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I'm not super-sure what she did before WWE.

    Wade's still a threat but not what he used to be.

    There's definitely a segment of jaded fans who will only watch really big and/or special shows who are a little iffy on WM29.

    I'm glad Taker and Lesnar aren't causing a ruckus backstage. I can't think of a time where two stars got really heated backstage since Booker/Batista. I know Punk and Rock had some issues, but not as bad as almost coming to blows.

    I honestly don't know how Taker feels about losing at Mania. I've heard rumors that Orton and Kane had opportunities to end the Streak, but I don't remember the source.

    Last year would have been a good time to wrap things up for Taker. I'll wait to see what he does this year and possibly next year before saying he "should" have retired. I can see him wanting to ride off into the sunset at some point to be with his family, though as long as he's been in the business it might be hard to quit!

    I think they were saying that someone should sue WWE for false advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ex-ac-tly. I couldn't agree more, older guys especially.

    Golf is the only past I can find for her.

    True that, like many heels, he needs a mean streak funnily enough he was actually meaner before he went "back into the abyss".

    Booker/Batista? That's news to me? Call me savage but Punk and Rock's backstage beef (I'll take it medium-rare please) only mad for a better story, Punk vs. Rock or Punk vs. Cena which feels bigger this year?

    Totally agreed, how old is he now, 48! Wow nearly a decade older than WWE Hall of Famer Edge! Oh btw have you seen this?

    http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2013/0328/561533/the-undertaker-added-to-post-wrestlemania-show/

    He *did* grow up in it after all, seen the shift of eras, countless GM's and wrestled basically everyone, it's more than in his blood - it *is* him!

    Aha, ya that's not gonna happen heheh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was fine with Wade's meanness/seriousness before the movie star thing.

    The details have been disputed, but Booker T. and Batista got into a pretty heated argument/fight a couple of years ago when Booker was World Champion. I think it was a respect thing. Batista kind of rubbed some people the wrong way. He's not the smiling company guy like Cena or Miz.

    I do think the backstage issues made Punk vs. Rock more interesting in some ways, though I think they're on good terms now. Props to both men for burying the hatchet. I could go either way on which feud is bigger. I'm a big Punk fan, but Cena is kind of "the guy" these days.

    It's really weird to talk about Taker retiring since he's been in WWE for SO long. He's one of only a few performers who's been in WWE for longer than I've been watching.

    I did see that story; it's in the news post.

    Interestingly, he's said that he might have done MMA had it been en vogue back when he got into WWE. I really wonder what he does when he's not around in WWE, since he's virtually unheard from for most of the year.

    ReplyDelete