Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 4, 2016

NXT and Main Event Reax - 2/3/16

Read on for my thoughts on yesterday's NXT and Main Event.
NXT:
I was hoping for a new more heel-ish entrance video for Gotch and English, but I guess they're not 100% on that side yet.

Like it or not, I think WWE's going to try to make the Hype Bros a thing on the main roster ahead of other teams who are held in higher regard by the NXT faithful.

 - Vaudevillains vs. Hype Bros:
I'm liking the heel tactics from the throwback team here.

Good enziguiri spot from Ryder and the Vaudevillains.

That match wasn't bad. Things are still coming together for English and Gotch, and Mojo's still pretty unremarkable outside of his energy. I'd like to see the former NXT Tag Team Champs get a manager to add to their act. Presumably Shaul Guerrero isn't going to accompany her husband and his partner, but maybe someone like Billie Kay or Peyton Royce could be tried out as the Alexa to their Blake and Murphy.

I hope they're not just doing Carmella vs. Bayley because of "Breaking Ground." I expect Asuka or someone to get involved to set up Bayley's next big challenge.

Who are the next challengers for Dash & Dawson? I like Enzo & Cass, but I'm ready for something new. I think that was a good promo overall. The team continues to mesh well.

- Carmella vs. Emma:
Emma has really had a career rejuvenation coming back to NXT. She's been very enjoyable as a veteran heel.

Carmella's still pretty green from a technique standpoint. I think she's a great addition to Enzo & Cass' act, but she could use more experience in the ring before being the No. 1 Contender to the Women's Title.

Zayn's promo was pretty bland, which is a shame given how good he is as a wrestler.

Joe said more in punking out the interviewer than he could have in yelling a promo.
 
Enzo is a really great talker. I've enjoyed his pairing with Cass. Hopefully they go to the main roster in 2016 (even if Carmella doesn't come with them).

- Enzo/Cass vs. Team S-A-W-F-T:
DAMN. That throw over the top rope by Cass was pretty sick.

I liked that match for giving Enzo and Cass a win. They are spinning their tires, though. They need more experience working with more tenured teams to up their ring games so they can be set up to go to the bigger stage.

Apollo's not an amazing promo guy, but I like some of what we've seen from him in that department.

Corbin often seems kind of robotic in promos. He needs to add some emotion and affectation to them.

I'm excited for the next chapters in the NXT Title picture.

- Asuka vs. Santana:
I think Santana's game competition for Asuka.

Hmmm... Santana's not that bad. It might be worth looking to bring her in on a more regular basis.

NICE armbar spot.

Good night, Santana.

Asuka has good personality and is obviously game as a wrestler. I just think she's still kind of adjusting to "the WWE style" and all that.

- Balor vs. Crews:
Good mat wrestling to start things off.

Balor's pretty smooth.

Both men are quite agile. I hope they both hold gold on the main roster.

This is incredible! Both men can fly without being exclusively high-flyers.

Crews really has just about everything. Strength, experience, size, agility... if he added some technical moves like release suplexes or something, he'd be pretty much perfect from a skills perspective.

Really, really impressive match from two of the finest wrestlers in NXT. Crews is game as a title contender.

Glad they didn't have one man turn heel there at the end.

Main Event:
It's funny to see the Usos and PTP together after they had SO many matches against each other.

 - Usos/PTP vs. Cosmic Ascension/Breeze:
I missed Darren working with Titus. They gel really well.

I like the teamwork by The Ascension here. They were really screwed by the gimmick they got on the main roster and the style they worked for it.

This is a pretty fun match so far.

Sometimes just throwing people out there to have a good match is fine. SOMETIMES.

They're all about giving Titus the rub these days.

I'm glad we're getting some storyline advancement from the Divas here.

Naomina is kind of ... meh. They just don't have the same kind of chemistry their other pairings had.

- Swagger vs. Fandango:
I really want to see Swagger and American Alpha vs. the Cosmic Wasteland for some reason.

I miss ECW brand Swagger.

That was good overall.

Naomina vs. Paige/Natalya:
I really wanted to see one of those little inset promos where the face Divas called themselves Paigetalya or something. I think Paige is already close to the record for (heel-face) alignment changes for a Diva.

This is fine so far, I suppose.

I liked that well enough overall.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment