Total Pageviews

Friday, February 5, 2016

ROH and Smackdown Reax - 2/4/16

Read on for my thoughts on yesterday's ROH and Smackdown.
ROH:
- Masada vs. Strong:
Why is this random guy fighting for the TV Title instead of being part of the top prospect tournament? The whole point of the tournament is to earn a shot with the champ.

Masada's not bad at all. He should have been in the prospect tournament.

This is going pretty well, I think.

Sign Masada! He's better than some people already under contract.

Not bad. Not bad at all. I think the challenger looked really credible.

I had forgotten about Final Battle, since that was a month and a half ago.

Roderick Strong is really boring on the mic.

So, go ahead and make the match for the 14th anniversary show so we can move on with our lives.

Ahh, there's the setup for the tag match at the anniversary show.

- C. Corino vs. Martinez:
The Punisher's not bad so far.

Damn. Colby's got some fire in him.

They're telling a good story here with the powerhouse vs. the spunky high-flyer.

Damn. Martinez is really powerful against the smaller opponent. I like what he brings to the table.

MAN. Whitmer goes rough on Steve Corino.

BJ Whitmer is a really great heel. He's easily one of the best parts of ROH.

DEAR MOTHER OF GOD. Whitmer's just evil here in attacking Colby.

That was a pretty big angle.

- reDRagon vs. Cole/Lethal:
Nice heeling by Cole. WWE needs to sign this guy.

The others in this match are pretty solid wrestlers in their own rights. They've definitely got a lot of experience and expertise.

How WWE/NXT and TNA didn't make a play for reDRagon is beyond me. They're really good.

Good heeling from Cole and Lethal.

I really hope Cole is ROH Champion at the end of the month. He's the hero ROH needs.

I hope O'Reilly in particular is on WWE's radar next time his contract ends.

Lethal and Cole work together pretty nicely.

Good match overall. They didn't go TOO crazy with all the big moves. It actually told a good story with heels and faces.

Smackdown:
- Reigns vs. Rusev:
I like the competition these two have. Two big bulls colliding.

I wish we would have gotten more from that match. Reigns is growing as a competitor, and Rusev is impressive, too.

Damn. LoN making their mark here.

NOW HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE NOW PLAYA. LOOKS LIKE WE NEED TO SETTLE THIS WITH A STRAIGHT-UP.... TAG TEAM MATCH!!

Good setting up Reigns vs. Ambrose at Fastlane. That match should be amazing.

I like Kalisto. He's a fine undercard face.

- Kalisto vs. KO:
Nice incorporating both men's styles. Owens is at his best as a bully and a bear.

This is a treat. Both men have good experience in their respective disciplines.

Good match overall. I liked Owens' preoccupation with Ziggler costing him.

God, Owens is just a prick. I love it.

I love heel Miz sometimes. SUCH a douche.

I know people are complaining about Miz insulting AJ Styles' credentials on Raw, but that's kind of what heels do. It sets up Styles proving him wrong by out-wrestling and beating the former Wrestlemania headliner. Speaking of Miz and Wrestlemania, I want to see him go on a tirade insulting Texas legends leading into the event so he can get his ass handed to him by Sting, HBK, and Stone Cold. Think Santino dissing The Condemned meets "Miz 7, Cena 0" meets Heath Slater facing legends leading to the 1000th Raw. For it to really work, I think he needs to attack JBL at some point so that Texan won't end up involved. He could "aggravate an injury" or something of John's so JBL could still commentary that night but not get physical with Miz.

- Ryback vs. Rowan:
Ewwww.... that was OK until the ending. Realistically the match could only be so good with those two facing off.

Meh post-match. I'm ready for Strowman to wreck WWE's other big guys on the road to facing Brock (?) at WM32.

I like that Sasha and Becky aren't best of friends, just on the same side against the other heels. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is literally more than 1,000 years old as advice, so it's not like WWE's doing something totally dumb pairing people who don't like each other against common foes

I really want to see Heel Jericho again.

- Miz vs. Styles:
AJ's taking it to Miz, showing the "redneck rookie" isn't someone to take lightly.

Miz has been a pretty valuable player, I think. Such a heat magnet, and he gets how to tell a story in the ring.

This is really amazing! AJ has what it takes.

See, AJ showed how good of a wrestler he is AND beat a former WWE Champion via submission. I'm sure someone's still complaining about his booking, though.

Y2J is ROH-level of boring Boy Scout face. HOPEFULLY that's setting up him turning heel. Either way, I'm glad he's working with Styles to get him oriented to WWE. Obviously AJ's doing well so far' it's just a matter of proving how good he is to the people who aren't familiar with his pre-WWE work.

I'm excited for Fastlane's main event. Reigns is getting better with his promos.

New Day is a lot of fun. They've taken the ball and run with it.

The Outcasts are a lot of fun, too. I wish more acts got interesting characters. What if Los Matadores or The Ascension got another chance to do something with less cringe-worthy characters>

- New Day vs. Rose/Slater/Axel:
Pretty fun match. The ending was really funny.

- Charlotte vs. Alicia:
Charlotte's really solid. I'm glad she's doing good things for WWE.

Alicia's always good for a nice match. She's a prized utility player.

I THINK I can live with Charlotte vs. Brie at Fastlane if we get Charlotte vs. Becky vs. Sasha at WM32.

I enjoyed that Golden Truth segment. Truth meeting up with Little Jimmy and everything after has been really entertaining. They just have to make sure not to do the same joke over and over.

- Ambrose/Reigns vs. Rusev/Del Rio:
I miss Ricardo Rodriguez working with Del Rio. I also miss Zeb Colter in general.

This is pretty good so far.

Nice match overall to continue the build to Fastlane.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment