Total Pageviews

Friday, February 12, 2016

ROH and Smackdown Reax - 2/11/16

Read on for my thoughts on yesterday's ROH and Smackdown.
ROH:
I appreciate ROH's commitment to not having Corino/Mr. Wrestling III on commentary due to the issue with Whitmer. Old-school in a good way.

- Kazarian vs. Shelley:
I like the heeling of the KRD buddies.

I feel like I'm watching TNA here. I know both men worked ROH before TNA, but I've personally seen a lot more of them in Dixieland.

I wonder how many dives to the outside there were on this set of tapings.

I'm liking Shelley's technical prowess here. It's a change of pace from the flippy guys.

Nigel should fine Kazarian for handling the referee. It'd be the old-school commissioner thing to do.

Nice heeling by Kazarian.

This is a pretty good match. They're telling a story in there.

I'm hype for more Corino/Whitmer.

I liked the spot with the hammer.

Props to both men.

Truth Martini just... isn't good. I'd like to see him replaced with Sylvester LeFort (or pretty much anyone really).

- Daddiego vs. Castle:
I really hope we see Castle in NXT someday. He's got something worth picking up.

The spot with the Boys and Truth was pretty good, honestly.

That was OK. Glad Castle won. Daddiego really isn't anything special. I'm ready to see Dijak again.

Silas is easily one of the best parts of ROH. He's a great character and a really solid worker.

That was a pretty great segment overall. 

- Giovanni vs. Ortiz:
Blehhhhh. Two more generic ROH guys.

Leon's a good flippy guy, but I think ROH has enough of those. 

So-so match. Punisher Martinez is the main guy I've wanted to see more of so far.

Moose vs. Okada is pretty much out of nowhere, but it should be interesting. I like Moose.

- ANX vs. War Machine:
Nice show of strength by Hanson.

ANX makes a pretty good team, I think.

War Machine isn't bad. I'm glad they do something from the standard ROH duos.

I'd like War Machine more if they didn't also try to be high-flyers with innovative offense. They need to stick to being big hosses so they stand out from the pack.

This is just becoming garbage. Too many spots.

Bleeeehhhhhhhhhh. That one really fell apart, which is a shame considering it started well.

That was a pretty fun ending to the show.

Smackdown:
There are some parallels between Styles in 2016 and Y2J in 1999, although AJ has done a lot more pre-WWE than Jericho had.

As long as AJ shows Jericho up, it's fine that Y2J isn't sold on him yet. AJ has to prove himself in WWE. Expecting him to start near the top just because he was a star elsewhere is setting yourself up for disappointment (and complaining that he's getting "buried.")

WWE needs to actually release a Bo Rida track when he returns to keep kayfabe.

Jericho might be the Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla, but Heath Slater is the ONE MAN BAAAAAAAAAAND!

The Social Outcasts are a lot more entertaining than Y2J in 2016. Guns 'n' Roses is a good metaphor for him, actually: living off past hits.

I wish AJ got to cut some promos. I know they're not his strong suit, but he needs to talk some if he's going to be a star.

- AJ/Y2J vs. Axel/Rose:
I was hoping Slater would make this a handicap match. That'd be more impressive for AJ and Jericho to win.

I like this showcase of AJ's abilities. Yes, he's wrestling jobbers, but it's showing how great of a wrestler he is. That's wrestling 101.

This is pretty fun. Both faces are great workers.

Really good match overall to show what AJ can do.

Nice post-match to set up tonight's main event. See, there's this thing called "heels getting heat" that's somehow been interpreted as "burying the babyface" when it's done on IWC favorites.

The Dudleys are a nostalgia act for good reason. Being a top name in TNA doesn't necessarily mean someone's above U.S./IC level in WWE.

OH MAN! The Dudleys refusing tables is a great heel move. I miss when the philosophy was "heels do things the crowd hates."

NICE heel segment from the Dudleys. And they're dead on about chants. I miss when they heeled the Impact Zone for their constant "This is awesome" chants and the notion of a five-star match.

- Sasha vs. Naomi:
This is going pretty well. Naomi's a solid wrestler, and Sasha's one of the best Divas there is.

Wow. This is pretty enjoyable.

Good match overall. I'm excited for the Divas' match at Fastlane.

Again, if Styles beats Jericho tonight, it shows the criticisms of him being a rookie are unfounded.

Good promo about the Wyatts being Gods compared to Titans.

I enjoy the Wyatts. I wish more wrestlers were different from the standard "I'm here to win titles" stuff.

You know, I was wondering if the Cosmic Wasteland was still a thing.

- Cosmic Wasteland vs. Neville/Dragons:
Oh, this is a lot of fun. The amazing agility of the face team is always a joy to watch.

I'm not really crazy about suicide dives being turned into arm drags. It was too cutesy.

Nice, NICE match. I love a good undercard match.

- Styles vs. Y2J:
I like Jericho getting frustrated about not being able to keep this "rookie" at bay.

This is pretty fun.

I think AJ improved during his time in NJPW.

It's good to see two talents who can go hold-for-hold like this. Both men are very experienced and good.

I love the submission wrestling here. I think that's something of a lost art.

That was a good match overall. It sets up a third match at Fastlane. If that's a big AJ win, it will make up for him losing here. Remember, Jericho's a really accomplished competitor. I don't think there's any shame in losing to someone that good.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment