Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 17, 2017

NXT and ROH Reax - 8/16/17

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT and ROH.

-- NXT:
- Regal/Asuka/Ember:
Imagine if wrestlers really had to sign a contract for each individual match. I see it as a symbolic thing for publicity in kayfabe.

Asuka has definitely had a very historic run in NXT.

I'm excited for this one. They've built up a pretty big story across multiple Takeover events.

Good promo from Ember.

This should be big!

I wonder what Asuka just said...

- Regal/Lars:
Oh, yeah, Lars will be a real good boy! This is the best.

Imagine having the balls to tell someone that big not to beat someone up.

- Profits vs. Lars/Silvio:
The Profits are pretty funny.

Montez and Angelo make a fair tag team so far.

Yeah, I wouldn't taunt Sullivan!

That was pretty fun while it lasted.

- Post-match:
Man, Sullivan didn't even get to be in the match!!

I'm sure Lars is just concerned about his new partner. He promised to be good!

See, Lars just wants to help him out!!

Oh.... oh. Maybe he's a little upset at losing again.

I guess they'll build Lars to job to someone like Kassius or McIntyre.

- Ruby vs. Billie:
I love the Iconic Duo. They're spinning their tires, though.

I'm liking all the pinfall attempts.

This is going pretty well. Both of them are good prospects.

Nice enough work here.

That was pretty good!

- Post-match:
Pretty funny, although I wonder how high they can get with Alexa doing a similar gimmick on Raw.

- Ellering promo:
I like Paul as their manager. They don't need to speak with him doing what he does so well.

It's a shame we might never see the Authors against the Wyatt Family. That could be good.

- Roderick vs. McIntyre:
It's crazy seeing these two in WWE after one was released and the other was Mr. ROH for so long.

This is good, right out of the gate.

This is solid. Both men have really good work on a technical basis.

I like this getting more physical.

I'm enjoying this one so far.

Both men are good at putting together strategies to win the match. Roderick's more technical, while Drew's more of a bruiser, but both are great in the ring.

I love Drew's throws.

I don't think you want to try to outbrawl Drew McIntyre.

This is solid! Strong keeps hanging on.

That was going well until Bobby made his presence known. I guess he didn't want them to get too much spotlight at his expense! He's the champ, damn it!!

- Post-match:
Roode definitely has the focus on him now. It was smart to wait until they'd destroyed each other.

That was pretty good. I'm curious how Strong will play into things in Brooklyn. Part of me wants to see him get his match immediately after Roode/McIntyre. He could end the night in Brooklyn as champ!
 
-- ROH:
- Kazarian promo:
It is weird to see the ROH crowd at odds with two guys who have given so much to the company. I don't blame Addiction for lashing out!

I'm pro-Addiction in this scenario. A lot of wrestling fans now are about chanting "this is awesome" and getting themselves over, and a lot of wrestling is spotfests for the ADD crowd.

That was good, but I don't really believe it. "Stupid marks" was hokey.

- Punishment vs. Gordon:This is the kind of match I like.

Flip does his thing well.

I like Martinez's power shutting down the smaller man's offense.

Flip's giving a lot of offense to the big man.

HOLY SHIT. Flip can do some impressive moves.

Martinez seems to be improving as a worker.

I'm rarely crazy about big guys doing flashy moves. Save it for special occasions, if at all. There are plenty of other people on the roster who do that kind of thing.

Good to continue building Punishment.

- Post-match:
I admire White's guts going after the big man.

- King promo:
I hope Kenny has a bright future. But since he's an ROH guy, he's probably always going to have to job to outsiders.

- Cabana/T. Boyz:
Colt is being wasted not being a wrestler.

Silly, but a nice break from other things.

- Rhett vs. Cheeseburger:
Fun crossbody/rollup spot.

This is OK enough.

Fine as a WWE-style squash to set something else up.

- Cody promo:
Cody has absolutely been a big boost for ROH. He's a bigger star than a lot of the people who work there.

- Castle promo:
The six-man division is really struggling, but I'm always down for some Dalton Castle action.

 - KUSHIDA vs. King:
I like both these men as workers.

This is impressive!

Good back and forth. I love that kind of thing.

Both men are very talented.

That was going really well until Bullet Club got involved.

- Post-match:
So much for Kenny getting a rub. He's got to play second fiddle to Bullet Club and the NJPW guy.

- KUSHIDA/King vs. Page/Scurll:
Pretty fun work.

Kenny's got some good fire here.

I like this combination of the BC a lot more than the Bucks and their antics. I can't take them seriously as heels.

This is a good combination of workers. I like the variety on display.

I'm liking this a lot!

That was really good to establish Kenny. I'm glad he's doing something of note now.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment