Total Pageviews

Monday, June 10, 2013

More main roster notes, new WWE trademarks, update on Kennely, WWE signee finishes up indie dates, and Questions on Cray-J, WWE movies, how to do a PPV, and Punk at Payback

Bo Dallas, Leo Kruger, Brad Maddox, Ted DiBiase, Curt Hawkins and the Wyatt Family all wrestled on this weekend's live events (Wyatt wrestled while his Family was at ringside). Given that the show was near NXT's base in Florida, it's unsure as to whether talents from developmental will be on live events on the regular. Either way, it was good for Dallas and Kruger to get work in front of a larger crowd and have different eyes on what they were doing. I know that there are some fans who would have preferred Adrian Neville, Sami Zayn, Kassius Ohno, etc., but for whatever reason they went with Bo vs. Kruger.

WWE has filed to trademark the names "Torito" and "Torlito", which I'm assuming could be names for performers. Let the guessing game begin!

Ex-TNA announcer Todd Kennely has returned to Championship Wrestling from Hollywood. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up back in TNA.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

Shaun Ricker finished up his work at Championship Wrestling from Hollywood and will presumably report to the new WWE Development Center in July. I believe that Ricker worked with the former Paul Bearer in the promotion. There was an interview with him in a previous news post (I'm thinking from yesterday). He'll be working with The Rock on TNT's "The Hero". Those are some pretty good names to work with, no?

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. Well, great. So much for being attracted to AJ. I don't think she looks as old as Arias, but other than that I can kind of see a resemblance. And I wouldn't put anything past AJ, acting-wise.

2. Considering WWE doesn't use some talents well in general, I don't really see much of a correlation. That said, you're right that it didn't really help them as far as pushes go. Orton will probably be fine.

3. Isn't that enough? Geez. Yeah, he does quite a bit there. I liked the Tunney reference, though.

4. To me, what makes a match "good" doesn't just come down to all of the crazy bumps and such. A lot of it has to do with the story leading up to the match and the story that the competitors tell. But, yes, Gail and Taryn surprised me with how much they were willing to give. At any rate, I'm not as crazy about the idea of everyone trying to top everyone else as far as crazy bumps go. Hear me out: I think there are different audiences who come out to wrestling events. Some people want to see a car crash where people put their lives in danger, whereas some people want a lighter comedy match here and there, and some people want some slower technical wrestling, and some people want big guys slugging it out, etc.. I think that the card should be more like a roller coaster: have your big matches, sure, but don't burn the crowd out with a bunch of crazy finisher kickouts/spotfests/hardcore bumps to where nothing means anything anymore. You need some "down time" so that the big matches actually feel special.

5. Advertising Punk... IN CHICAGO... ON PPV... and not delivering is grounds for a riot. I'm all for heels doing dastardly things, but I think that would backfire.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment