Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 29, 2013

WWE Smackdown Reax - 6/28/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.
Sandow's got a tremendous upside. He's miles ahead of a lot of guys his age on the mic and pretty solid in the ring to boot. In a few years, I can see him being a top act in the company.

Sheamus vs. Sandow was pretty nice. I generally think that gimmick matches have been played out and overused, but this one was fine. I think Sandow looked fine in defeat.

The Hell No segments continue to be good. It's amazing how much patience they're showing in this angle - not suddenly turning Bryan heel (if that's their plan).

Fine MizTV segment. I look forward to the presumably continuing elevation of Curtis Axel.

That settles it: Kaitlyn vs. AJ has officially passed the Divas of Doom angle on my "top Diva angles of all time" list. Other than Kharma and Trish vs. Mickie, it's tops. Amazing stuff from both ladies. It's awesome that they're getting to do this stuff. We didn't need a "good match" between AJ and Natalya. The angle was more important.

Good post-match, too. I can't wait to see where they're going from here.

Nice line-up for the other MITB match. All of those performers are deserving of that spot. I'm surprised that they don't have Sin Cara or Justin Gabriel or someone there to do some crazy spots, but I guess they figure that Bryan and RVD have that covered in the other match.

Nice match between Orton and Kane - two guys who know a good deal about ring psychology. They used Bryan very well to continue the story.

Ryback beating Gabriel was a foregone conclusion. If Ryback can't squash Gabriel, what chance does he have against Jericho? Gabriel's talented, and I hope he has a future (maybe in a tag team with Sami Zayn?), but I don't think he should beat Ryback.

The "Cryback" remark was actually pretty funny. I look forward to Ryback vs. Jericho. Maybe when they have a good match, the Ryback haters will finally lay off? Doubt it.

Fine 6-person tag. Presumably the faces winning is to set up them going for the championships. For everyone who complains that no one wants to see a match where it's obvious who will win, The Shield usually wins their matches, so wouldn't them losing from time to time make things less predictable (another IWC complaint)?

Cool segment to end the show. I'm a sucker for some "sports entertainment" and characterization that's more than just "I'm a good athlete and I want to beat another good athlete to win championships", "Wrestling is my dream", etc.. The fake accent for Ricardo and Del Rio using Spanish was nice. Though it is kind of weird to have the crowd chant "USA" when they boo Colter and Cesaro.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment