Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Raw Reax - 6/24/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.
Awesome opening segment. Much better than what we usually get from Cena.

Ha. Another screwy finish. I think there comes a time when you need to settle it - 3 screwy finishes in a row is a little much even for MY tastes. Maybe they didn't need the match on Smackdown? It feels a little cluttered at this point.

There was another segment that would have been just fine without Vince involved. I don't think he really added anything to it. It just reminded us that he exists basically.

Nice tag match. Yes, the faces won over the up-and-comers, but the match itself was pretty good. I think Sandow and Rhodes put up a good enough fight to where the clean loss doesn't really hurt them. It didn't help them, but it didn't hurt them, either.

I'm shocked that a McMahon wasn't involved in the Vickie/Punk segment. They could have easily shoehorned one in.

That was all kinds of crazy. I did get flashbacks to Trish and Mickie, but that was a great storyline and everyone's playing their roles well here, so let's keep the ball rolling. This is the most I've cared about a Divas' feud since Kharma or the Divas of Doom.

They can keep these videos going forever if they stay this good. My hope is that the Wyatt Family debuts by taking out Chris Jericho. They need to write him off soon anyway so he can do Fozzy. What better way to make an impact? Jericho and Bray fought in NXT, so I'm thinking Jericho's a fan of his.

Nice set up for Cena vs. Henry at MITB. It's a good story so far.

I wish there was a little more set-up to Jericho vs. Del Rio. Jericho's a very accomplished performer and Del Rio's the WORLD CHAMPION. Would it have killed them to do some kind of backstage segment to set things up?

Jericho vs. Del Rio was, as always, a really solid wrestling match. I'm glad that Del Rio didn't tap to the part-timer.

Finally Ziggler stands tall! Ziggler vs. Jericho vs. Del Rio would be pretty cool (and I'm sure an amazing match), but Jericho's not advertised for MITB so it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

That made sense as a use of HHH. I like the idea of Bryan vs. HHH down the line (key words there: down the line) that some have brought up. It could really "make" Bryan and pass the torch, which I think is the best use of HHH at his age and his schedule. When was the last time HHH put someone over who wasn't already over? I guess you can argue that he put over Miz and R-Truth at Vengeance 2011, though he wasn't the one who was pinned (Nash attacked him to take him out of the match).

Cool segment promoting WWE 2K14. It got silly, but it put over the contest to make a cover.

Really the only time I "like" a Khali match is when he loses to someone talented. So, from the standpoint that Ryback beat him clean, this was a fine use of Khali. All in all, if it wasn't for the appeal to the Indian market, it would probably be time for Khali to retire.

Much better than a goofy Cena promo, but there were a few things I didn't like: Cena himself made a similar speech to Henry's when he was "fired" in the Nexus angle, and he came right back the next week. And to say that Henry wouldn't have a legacy without winning the WWE Title was an insult - Henry's been World and ECW Champion and has been a part of WWE for 17 years (including PPV main events). Of course he has a legacy! It's one thing to put over the WWE Title, but that basically threw Henry's other accomplishments under a bus.

Yeah, not exactly 3 top-tier teams in there. Where was PTP? At any rate, that was pretty brief.

Not a bad post-match. It feels like this part of the show was a little rushed.

What do you know? A David Otunga sighting. I haven't seen anything wrestling-related from him in 3 months. No live events, no dark matches, no NXT, nothing. I doubt they'll fire him any time soon with his celebrity connections, but it doesn't look like he's got any allies backstage at the moment. Given some of the talent WWE has on both the main roster and NXT (including the new signings), now is not the time to be on the outskirts. Honestly, if he hasn't improved in the ring, I don't see much "use" for him as a wrestler. As a manager? Sure. That'd be nice. As part of a group? That could work, too. But by himself as a wrestler? I don't see any reason to use him any better than they have been.

Nice angle between Punk and Heyman. This is pretty intriguing. Two of my favorite characters of all time.

Nice Raw return for Punk. Young looked pretty solid in the ring. I wonder why they had him here and not in the tag team match... Anyway: no, I don't think Young's being "buried" by tapping to Punk or anything like that.

Cool post-match! Hey, maybe it's a GOOD thing that PTP get to work with Punk and Axel.

The latest "All My McMahons" segment was ok. It all depends on who's in the MITB match.

Kind of weird for the heel Bellas to give out the WWE Magazine. Were Cameron and Naomi unavailable?

I look forward to that MITB match!

Jericho vs. Ryback feels a little out of nowhere, but whatever. Ryback beating Jericho would be pretty good for his career. Jericho's amazing, but as a part-timer who's going to be leaving WWE for the time being soon, he absolutely should lose to the guy who's going on the road every week.

I think that's got to be the biggest match of PTP's career, if for no other reason than it actually got advertised a week ahead of time. Anyway, good segment.

Mark Henry is unquestionably on a roll. It took a while for us to get "this" Mark Henry, but I think the wait was worth it. Awesome promo.

Obviously someone saw the ratings Smackdown's been getting to advertise stuff ahead of time.

That main event was INSANE. I think they're going pretty heavy on the crazy hardcore bumps. It wasn't as bad as some stuff I've seen, but.. Wow. Anyway, Bryan beating Orton that way was pretty cool. Orton's a very underrated performer and if it wasn't for those Wellness strikes, I'd be ok with pushing him, but this was totally the right move. I'm ready for the Age of Bryan.

Nice ending. It'll be interesting to see if Orton and Bryan both stay face in the weeks to come.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment