Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

post-Raw dark match, potential spoilers, Interviews with Orton/Miz/HBK, TNA exec leaving, Raw audience, backstage blow-up, and Questions on Angle, Sting, Christian, Rock vs. Cena, and attendance

After Raw, John Cena beat Ryback in a Tables match. The only bad thing about the awesome set-up for Henry vs. Cena is that it presumably leaves Ryback on the outs. Maybe we get RVD vs. Ryback? Obviously RVD's good for crazy ladder bumps, but I think a match with Ryback would be cool as well.

In a potential spoiler (remember that plans can always change), Daniel Bryan is being set up for a main event run. I'm liking the change in WWE featuring impressive younger athletes who are hungry for top spots. It's certainly different from TNA's current approach, though Sabin and Styles might emerge in the months to come.

Randy Orton was interviewed by the always entertaining and knowledgeable Sam Roberts about his whole career. Orton came across surprisingly well, which you wouldn't guess from his on-screen persona. Cool stories about his time in OVW. I remember those injuries and being concerned that he wouldn't end up the star he is now. Did ANYONE think he was ready for the World Title that first time outside of WWE brass? I was really shocked that they pulled the trigger on that. And WWE DEFINITELY isn't UFC. I hate when they try to make it UFC. I also really agree about why people don't watch UFC. Of course, Flair knew where the strip clubs were... Funny Snitsky story. And yes, there are plenty of people who thought Orton was going to be on his way out after some of the things he's done. Who else wanted to hear Vince and Orton do argue? It's really cool that Orton has grown up and matured. I'm very glad, and I'm sure that WWE is as well. I DIED at the fan-fiction stuff. Also good points about Cena. I'm glad he's not 100% super-face. 

The Miz was interviewed in Albany. Quickly reached the top of WWE? It took him 4 years to win the WWE Title (even longer if you consider his time in developmental). That's quicker than some people, but hardly "quick". As always, Miz made a great representative for the company.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.
Shawn Michaels was interviewed for an hour. Appropriate for the guy who had the famous "Iron Man" match with Bret Hart.

Another likely spoiler: C.M. Punk vs. Brock Lesnar is currently set for Summerslam. That should be AMAZING, from both a story and match perspective.

Mike Weber, who headed up Marketing in TNA, is gone from the company. I'm not sure why executives keep departing.

Raw's audience was up to 4.15 million this week, likely due to the McMahons C.M. Punk returning and Mark Henry's retirement tease. The show was mostly pretty good, so I hope people stick around. They did a good job setting up Punk vs. Lesnar and Cena vs. Henry.

Daniel Bryan was originally set to beat Randy Orton clean on Raw, but got hurt during the match and they called an audible. The plan is apparently to build to John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan for the WWE Title on a future PPV. Bryan loudly argued with Triple H after the match stoppage, with the argument being that he's worked all over the world and knows when he can continue and when he can't. The counter-argument was that the company was "protecting" Bryan and doesn't want anyone working hurt. They eventually apologized to each other. I don't think there will be any heat on Bryan going forward. I think he just got carried away in the moment as a very passionate competitor. Bryan was back in action at the Smackdown taping.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. I'm pretty sure that interviewers have been asking if he'll ever go back to WWE once his TNA contract's up. If they aren't, fans almost certainly are. Angle's a very goal-oriented guy. He shoots for the moon. Heck, maybe he's talking about going back to WWE to keep his name out there and to leverage for better treatment from TNA? I can't blame him. He's one of the best workers TNA has. At any rate, I can see him coming back on something like a Jericho schedule. I'd love to see him work with Punk, Bryan, Cesaro, Swagger, etc.. He's more valuable to TNA, but as a fan I want to see him get another run in WWE while he still has "it".

2. This is actually a pretty common psychological phenomenon: Did I make the right choices in my life as I get older, etc.. Look up Erik Erikson to learn more.

3. He returned on Raw. Sometimes these questions come in late...

4. I liked it! It was something different from a promotion that generally seems to change plans a lot. I wasn't crazy about some of their promos, but ultimately they did a good job setting up the match. They didn't "give away" too much stuff between them before the actual match, which is a good change of pace.

5. You can always believe wrestling promotions when they give you an attendance figure, like WrestleMania III being in front of 93,000 screaming Hulkamaniacs. I think you got worked, brother.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment