Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Query on Kane, more WWE tryouts, Interviews with Foley/AJ Lee/new WWE signing/Kash, Midwest promoter passes away, Hardy hurt, Eaton update, TNA going down under?, Abyss/Park update, TNA visitors, WWE live event roster notes, former WCW name passes away, and Questions on WWE's promotion, the TNA HoF, Christian, Sting-WWE, and Matt Morgan

First up, a query:
1. I haven't heard anything about Kane being injured. That doesn't mean that he isn't, just that there's been no word on it.

WWE did tryouts for men from the "mainstream sports world". If any news comes out of it, I'll be sure to cover it. I welcome performers from all backgrounds if they have what it takes to add to the product.

Mick Foley talked about the Attitude Era and more. I'm glad he points out the problems of that time that are frequently overlooked.

AJ Lee talked ahead of a WWE Live event. She's DEAD ON about success not happening overnight and not being afraid to take risks. There are a fair number of performers who seem to take it pretty safe and their careers are stagnating as a result. Sometimes you need to make some noise. And yes, the new Tomb Raider is pretty sick. Very graphic in places, but also a pretty good story.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

Promoter and wrestler "Big Daddy" Rog Cox of Dayton, Ohio has passed away. Here are details on his life and death. 42 really isn't that old.

Shaun Ricker, new WWE signing, was interviewed about being a part of The Rock's new reality series. I like that he's cocky enough to think he can take The Rock. Some wrestlers would be all like "R-Rock's my hero, m-man. I'd rather team with him if that's o-ok."

Kid Kash was interviewed. I've heard that some performers feel that the "Cruiserweight" label limits them in the eyes of fans, as they're rarely if ever presented as being in the same level as the heavyweights. I'd be hard-pressed to disagree. They're pigeonholed as indie darlings, spotmonkeys, "vanilla midgets", etc.. I agree about titles in wrestling ultimately being signs that the company wants to feature you instead of something you "won". I also agree about old-school storytelling being important. I can see the comparisons between TNA and WCW, too. I think he's exaggerating about big guys vs. smaller guys, at least in the major promotions. There are some athletically talented smaller guys who don't do a lot of in-ring psychology. I've seen some bad big guys, though.

Jeff Hardy was said to be pretty banged up after his ladder match on Impact, specifically possibly tweaking his hip. IT AIN'T BALLET, BAH GAWD. I'm shocked that Hardy can keep going after all those crazy bumps in his career. More on this as it becomes available. He isn't expected to miss ring time at present.

Bobby Eaton has been released from the hospital and still awaits his pacemaker. I wish him the best.

TNA is working on an Australian tour. They've wanted to tour there for a while. I hope it works out well for both them and the Australian fans.

There was initially a plan to have someone else play Abyss and appear in the Joseph Park/Devon segment at Impact, but TNA Creative changed their minds.

Former TNA employees Sonny Siaki and Slick Johnson visited at the most recent Impact taping. I always thought Siaki might have something, but we never got to see whether I was right. He apparently retired in 2009.

(This includes NXT spoilers) Bo Dallas defended the NXT Championship against Leo Kruger on a recent WWE Live event. Bray Wyatt defeated R-Truth, and Zack Ryder defeated Brad Maddox. As always, it remains to be seen who will be "brought up" and who will stay on live events for now. Also on the show were Ted DiBiase and Curt Hawkins, who were promptly destroyed by The Shield. Maybe when Raw and Smackdown get new head writers, guys like DiBiase and Hawkins might get another shot. Right now they're both basically fodder. Both guys are talented, but from a character perspective they don't have much going for them right now. No Million Dollar Title, no Virgil, no Maryse, no Legacy teammates, no DiBiase Posse, no Edge, no Ryder, and no Tyler Reks means those two are stuck in the mud.

WCW's Mark Starr has passed away. Here's a rundown on his career. Anyone who wants to complain about today's gimmicks not being for sustainable main eventers should look at "Men At Work". Wrestling's crazy...

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. They would have already dropped that service if they weren't contractually obligated to keep it around for some systems. So, yeah, they're just kind of sweeping it under the rug until it goes away.

2. As much as I wish it would be Jill Jarrett or Traci (or maybe Gail Kim?), it wouldn't shock me if it was Dixie. Watch it be Chyna...

3. How many people can we say that about? I think he's been cleared for a while, actually. I wouldn't mind him coming back and challenging either The Shield or Wade Barrett personally. Heck, maybe even Fandango.

4. Long question is long. I do think it's becoming less and less likely that he'll wrestle in WWE, and that mighr be for the best. I don't know how good Sting vs. Taker would be in 2014 (or beyond) or how many ex-WCW (and/or current TNA) fans would come back to see it. I do, however, see him going into the Hall of Fame in due time. It's hard to believe that there'll be a day when he won't be involved in wrestling given how long he's been performing. I agree that putting in Drew Carey was crazy from a legitimacy standpoint. WWE just wanted to get mainstream attention for putting him in. I was ok with Pete Rose since he was actually involved in some memorable segments that people still talk about. Drew was kind of a one-time thing.

5. I'm not sure why they don't use him more. Hopefully they have something big in mind for him given that he's worked with Hogan and Sting. I think in some ways they're taking the approach that they don't want to water him down too much. They take a number of people off of TV for a while to bring them back for something fresh (Storm, Styles, Sting, Abyss, etc.).

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment