Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Raw Reax - 6/17/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.
Pretty cool opening segment. I like Del Rio's heel turn. I especially like that we didn't start the show with the McMahons or Cena. I'm not really crazy about giving away a potential PPV main event on TV, but hopefully they've got something up their sleeves.

Interesting backstage segment with Heyman and Punk. As much as I love that pairing, I don't think I'd mind Punk splitting off.

Glad they didn't go right to Barrett vs. Axel. I think Title matches should get a week of build, at least, to show how important they are.

Barrett vs. Christian was nice to re-establish Christian (who definitely still has "it"). They'll need to rebuild Barrett after he lost the title and to Christian.

They're crazy if they do Bryan vs. Orton tonight, unless it's done in a way that sets up a bigger match at MITB.

God, WWE, shut up and take my viewership with the Wyatt Family.

YES! I was totally expecting Sheamus to kill those two. Total sigh of relief for the Enlightened One to get the pin.

Not crazy about Rhodes eating a Brogue Kick, but it is what it is. I think Rhodes needs some character development: I'd have him be obsessed about his mustache in a similar way that he was obsessed with his looks as "Dashing" Cody Rhodes. If a character's not particularly interesting, it's harder for Creative to come up with things to do for them and for fans to connect with them.

Meh... Haitch. At least he's undermining Vickie and Brad instead of Axel or Punk or someone.

Good segment with Bryan and Kane. I like both characters going for the WWE Title.

Orton vs. Bryan was interesting. It seems crazy for their first match to be no DQ, but maybe they're going somewhere here.

I liked the post-match. Please tell me that Bryan's going to be a big deal in the months to come.

Awesome segment with AJ, Stephanie, and Kaitlyn. AJ's one of the best characters on the show, and she and Kaitlyn play off of each other really well. Stephanie added to the segment nicely.

As for Kane vs. Ambrose: What if "The Dark Knight Rises" was going to be shown for free on TV the weekend after it opened? Why go see it at the theater? Anyway, this was fine to re-establish Kane after his countout loss without him actually, you know, beating Ambrose.

Cool post-match. I believe in The Shield. I'm still not convinced that Cena, HHH, Taker, or someone won't end up destroying all three, but for now, things are good.

I'm intrigued with Henry's retirement tease. I don't remember the last time they showed PTP and Tamina together. It was a plot point on NXT: Redemption, but then they kind of dropped it.

Nice segment with the authority figures and The Shield, since Vince actually put them over. And why should Vince like Kane after what he did to Linda and Shane all those years ago?

Colter and Cesaro is a good combination. It's weird that Colter's working with a Swiss guy given his anti-foreigner rhetoric, but if it leads to elevation of the talented former U.S. Champion, it's good by me.

I was wondering when we'd see Regal again. He continues to be a "utility player" just there to put others over. But at 45, that makes sense. He's got a nice role backstage and doesn't need to be pushed. Honestly I don't know if a full-time schedule would be good for him. He's much more valuable in his backstage role I think.

Nice post-match. I hope we get a better explanation of the pairing with Colter, but at any rate I find Cesaro quite talented and hope he goes far.

Awesome segment between Henry and Cena. I was thinking before Raw that I'm going to be really sad when Henry retires. He's one of the few superstars who have been with the company for longer than I've been watching. Anyway, I don't know how much longer we're going to have Henry around, but I'm glad the ride's not over yet.

Jericho getting his credibility back by beating Slater is fine by me. He's due some wins, even as a part-time guy.

Jericho taking out 3MB is ok, too. They're a pretty low-card act, and Jericho has to be able to beat SOME people in order to look credible.

Heyman's awesome. Enough said. Heck, I wish he cut promos for just about everyone.

Axel vs. Cara wasn't quite what I had hoped. I wanted something a little longer that showed what both guys can do. If they have a Khali match or something instead of this getting the time it deserved, I'm going to rage so hard my floor turns to lava.

Fine post-match with Miz.

Ambrose vs. Bryan will always be awesome I think.

Am I the only one who feels like they're just throwing the McMahons in these segments? They just make things more cluttered. They're like a whole family of Poochies, minus the extreme attitude.

Did anyone else want to shed a tear during the Heyman/Punk segment?

Punk vs. Del Rio was pretty cool. I hope they clash again on PPV at some point.

Nice post-match. They didn't need any dialogue to get that stuff over. Plus, it's not a sure thing that Heyman sent Brock out there. Intrigue!

All in all, a pretty good Raw. More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment