Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Smackdown Reax - 6/7/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.
Interesting start to the show. It felt odd for the babyface Miz to be sowing trouble with the babyface former Tag Team Champions. Maybe if they had mentioned the issues between Miz and Bryan in the past it would have made more sense. Sometimes it's the little things. But yeah, that could be a good main event. How cool is it that Daniel Bryan and Seth Rollins are headlining Smackdown? There are some who said that performers like them would "never make it" in WWE.

Good Heyman promo, but when is that not the case? I hope Axel becomes someone to really watch. There've been way too many stop-start pushes over the years.

Hahahahahahaha. Nice ending. I was a little worried that Axel was going to lose there. Jericho's protected by not losing clean and Axel can say that he's beaten another high-profile opponent. Axel seemingly got more offense in here than he did against HHH or Cena, who it feels like WWE will protect at all costs.

And then we go right back to Axel looking vulnerable. Why couldn't Jericho have taken Heyman out and left Axel somewhat strong? He's not looking like he's really moved up the card much at all since his rechristening. The focus is always back on the established wrestler (HHH, Cena, Y2J) once the segment's over.

I really liked the Kane/Ryback segment. They could really make Ryback look like a threat if he did something big to Kane.

Del Rio's "match" was fine to set up Del Rio vs. Ziggler. I wonder what their backup plan was for Payback if Ziggler wasn't cleared to go. I'm assuming it was some kind of feud-settling gimmick match with Big E, which would have been fine by me. Then they could have done Del Rio vs. Ziggler at MITB.

Nice. Ryback kicked out of a chokeslam AND powerbombed Kane through a table. That's how you build a monster. Kicking out of finishers should be somewhat rare (since it weakens the effectiveness of the finisher), but it was ok in this case.

I was impressed by the Deep Blue reference. The segment was fine for what the characters do. It feels like Sandow and Sheamus are feuding because WWE doesn't know what else to do with either of them.

Good Orton/Bryan segment, consistent with their characters.

Fandango vs. Ryder was fine to continue featuring Fandango. I like Fandango, even if he doesn't look like a "sustainable main eventer". How many people do in their first year on TV?

Kind of an amusing segment with Kaitlyn and Natalya. It'll be interesting to see what they pull out of their hats for that one. You know someone has suggested Hornswoggle. I personally like the idea that it's AJ messing with her and there is no secret admirer, leading to that match I thought they were building to.

That's how you do a main event. While I do think you need "all kinds of wrestlers" (power guys, big guys, technicians, etc.), it's a treat for me to see the likes of Rollins and Bryan tear it up. I think these guys in some way are the future of the company. An important note is that they didn't just have Rollins and Bryan do a bunch of cool, flashy moves. Instead there was a greater narrative to the story and those spots were balanced by what Orton and Reigns did. Anyway, everyone worked well and I liked the ending for protecting everyone.

Cool ending. I'm intrigued with where they might be going with Bryan's character.

More wrestling coming up.

7 comments:

  1. It was rather strange, but Miz he's know for trouble ...but as a heel I suppose. Hahaa I love it when people who say things like that are proven wrong, and it is *very* cool!

    Never! I hope so as well, so far so good though. Good stuff, "It's clobbering time!" that's a good way to "cheat". I understand your gripe but something tells me things aren't over between Jericho and Axel, perhaps that was simply a babyface moment for the audience...it depends if Punk really does return, I'm not 100% sure he will.

    I love Kane's voice, good segment indeed.

    And El Local hits a flying crossbody - so fun to see him do that in a tux! I was getting worried that Zig-Zag wouldn't be ready. It would have been a fine match and perhaps better than giving Del Rio a short-term rival but as you say, why pay for the match we've already seen 5 times recently?

    Of course. That was actually freakish strength, Ryback lifting Kane like that, it really was scary.

    Nice segment, Sandow giving me laughs as always and good that he got the upper hand, to boast his threat-level. Maybe so but what's wrong with having a feud between two people who have rarely worked together? Sheamus is a fan-favourite and seeing Sandow get the upper hand against a former World Champ is sweet thing.

    Agreed.

    He get's some *serious* distance with that Leg Drop, although I really like his reverse STO too.
    He certainly looks like a *sustainable midcarder* which is all ya need in your first year, no first 3 months of wrestling.

    I'm a sucker for romance in wrestling so I can't wait! Oooh that's interesting! I never thought of that - a meddling AJ, I can totally see that happening, in storyline purposes AJ would have Kaitlyn's number, know what gifts she'd appreciate, I'll hold you to that!

    Yep, a total success, four ferocious fighters! Yes, they told a real story, before and after the match, a great end to Friday night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I've told you this, but for the longest time *I* didn't think Bryan was going to make it. Until he turned heel as World Champion, I didn't think he had enough personality (as a serious competitor). Some of it was that I had heard SO much about how good he was and he almost had to fall short.

    To me, most babyface moments should be at the end of the story after a long struggle. It gives more "sympy" to the babyface to get revenge after being screwed over so much. And heat to the heel, which is their end goal.

    Oh yeah... Punk's coming back. I think Chicago would riot if he didn't.

    I think they could have attached a gimmick to Del Rio vs. Big E at Payback and it could have done ok.

    Ryback has impressed me a lot. Almost a complete 180 from Skip Sheffield on Season 1. He's always been strong, but now he's at a whole 'nother level.

    I don't have a problem with them doing Sandow vs. Sheamus. It just feels like they're working together to give them both something to do. I hope they don't just have Sheamus steamroll Sandow and things go right back to where they were. Sandow's on my short list for who should win MITB.

    I'm a straight-up "mark" for Kaitlyn and AJ. Talk about two peas in a pod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand that, especially after watching this interview, check out the whole interview but 15:09 especially
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7A0SfjIAsU
    It's true, there was *never* denying his wrestling ability but his charisma *did* need work, his feud with Cole and Miz helped so much during the early days. He began to really grow on me during Mark Henry's (fantastic) reign of terror.

    In terms of a feud or match?

    I'll hold you to that my friend, I'm sure you're right actually.

    Fair dues actually.

    No doubt about it, *so* many NXT wrestlers have completely evolved, Ryback, D Bryan, AJ whereas others like Kaitlyn or Wade Barrett have stayed the same, but that's not a bad thing.

    Hmm, something is better than nothing. Indeed, not too sure why it's on the pre-show, that's a bit of a momentum-stopper. They could still do their thing.
    Oh my goodness yes, Cody, Sandow and of course Kofi, if he can return in time.



    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there when he fought Mark Henry in the cage (Mick Foley was "in charge" for the night I think). It was awesome from a story perspective. They really had the crowd in their hands. Could he beat the World's Strongest Man!?

    Interestingly, Henry's another guy who I'm pleasantly surprised that got so far. The other commenter would have likely complained that he'd never be a main eventer with the "Sexual Chocolate" character. Henry's a completely different performer than his early days. He's very motivated and focused.

    Both I suppose?

    I only say that Punk's coming back because credible sources have repeatedly said it.

    Del Rio vs. Big E in a gimmick match wouldn't have been as big as Del Rio vs. Ziggler, necessarily, but I think it could have been a nice "stopgap" until MITB.

    Whoa, whoa. I think Kaitlyn and Barrett have changed a lot from their first NXT Season, too. Maybe not a lot as characters, but their looks are definitely different and both have added to their repertoires. Barrett added the bare-knuckle fighting background, dropped the blazer and flower, added facial hair, and I'm thinking the "Blackpool Slam" is new as well. Kaitlyn's gone from being in what was voted the worst match of 2010 to getting praise from the IWC for her ring work. The Kaitlyn of 2013 could wrestle circles around the Kaitlyn of Season 3. Then again, we don't get to see how good she is a lot of the time. Her matches on NXT: Redemption were pretty solid (especially vs. Maxine and Tamina).

    I understand that they want people to watch the pre-show, but I think they've earned a PPV spot.

    I wouldn't hold my breath on Kofi. The last I heard was that he might be out until Summerslam. He would have almost certainly have been one of my picks to win MITB (or who I would have chosen to win).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah fantastic! It really was and such an interesting mix of characters in the story, one friendly giant, one extremely mean and dangerous giant, the small but skilled good guy and his tiny girlfriend.

    Absolutely, it can be a huge help for wrestlers to "find themselves" with one or more characters before they go for the big time, Rock did it, Triple H did it and Mark Henry did it. He actually looks better than ever, he knows how good he is and doesn't let any of it go to waste.

    And you were right! But we'll talk about that in the Payback post.

    Yep, the fact that Del Rio would have been battling against Ziggler's group would have helped the story.

    You're absolutely right but I was referring to character, Kaitlyn & Barrett to me seem like grow up versions of their 2010 selves whereas others have gone through major changes. I hear what you're saying about Barrett but he's always been the aggressive, mean British guy but I guess that properly started developing later. No doubt their in-ring work has improved...once again Payback post

    Absolutely

    Damn, he could still do something sizable if he goes straight for Ryback upon returning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've probably said it a lot (I say so much that I lose track), but Bryan's heel turn is one of my favorite stories ever. The pacing was so good and everyone played their roles well. The chemistry between Bryan and AJ was amazing.

    WWE.com just had something about Shawn Stasiak, who never did "find himself". It's sad: he had a good look and 2nd-generation pedigree, but it never worked out for him. A number of character changes in both WWF and WCW, and none of them worked like he/they wanted.

    I seriously think that WWE would have had some kind of riot or something had Punk not been there.

    I'm pleasantly surprised with Big E. I wouldn't mind Big E and AJ picking up another client or two if Dolph's going face. Maybe PTP? They could use the boost. It always kind of bugs me when they have talented people under contract who are barely doing anything. I could see Otunga or Ezekiel working as well. I'm not saying that they should add to the entourage, but it could boost come careers.

    Hmmm... I remember Barrett having more "class" with the rose and blazer in 2010. Kaitlyn I think definitely has more of a mean streak. Both are great.

    There's a manager in ROH who just had a tryout who people are saying should manage Kofi - Prince Nana. I'd love to see Kofi get a manager or something. ANYTHING to add to his character. He's the "Wildcat" now and all and showed some aggression, but I'd like to see something more. If he's going to make it as successful as people want him to be, I think he needs a boost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't get me wrong: I like Kofi. I just see some untapped potential. After seeing what Colter's doing for Cesaro and Barrett and what Heyman's doing for Axel, I'd like to see similar benefits for Kofi.

    ReplyDelete