Total Pageviews

Friday, January 24, 2014

Batista fires back at detractors, Interviews with Cornette/Styles/Chavo/JR/Mickie/Iron Sheik, Extreme Rules location, remembering Mae, Where's Snitsky?, Nash rumor, Lockdown press release, WWE surgery and Questions on the Wolves, Knockouts, Koloff and Batista's return

In a now-deleted Tweet, Batista simultaneously thanked his fans and bashed his critics. I'm sure WWE loved that remark. I can't blame him for going after the whiners, though. There's a difference between people who have legitimate concerns about using a 40+ year old returning performer as a main eventer and the people more focused on his ring attire than his effect on WWE's business.

Jim Cornette did the Jim Cornette thing, talking about HHH, Vince Russo, TNA and more. There are some differences to WWE as far as talent goes: The Shield, Bryan and the Wyatts are being pushed rather well (generally). There could and should still be some roster changes and changes in who's pushed, but some progress has been made. I agree about Russo's booking being too focused on big brawls and screaming and "crash TV". That stuff's done better in moderation. I found the TNA jokes pretty funny, but things have in some ways been better post-Hogan and Bischoff. That hunchbacks idea is actually kind of clever, but it doesn't belong in a major wrestling promotion.

AJ Styles talked about a number of TNA topics. I do think the "independent contractor" thing is bizarre when the company controls all your bookings. I enjoyed some of his more comedic stuff with Angle and Christian, though I wish he would have gotten to be more of a top guy like so many wanted.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.
Chavo Guerrero gave an interview. I see the "skinny jeans" thing is still going on. I hope Raquel becomes really successful. I get WWE's logic in making her get by without a famous last name. It's pretty clever.

Jim Ross talked to Grantland. I agree that commentators need to be focused more on the stories being told by the wrestlers. The app and such are also important and need to be mentioned, but a lot of times it feels like the announcers are just arguing and making noise for the sake of making noise. Those Mid-South angles sound pretty awesome. He's also right about not needing to plan out a match meticulously ahead of time. That's really a lost art with some younger wrestlers. I do think it's time to move past JR as an announcer, and I love his classic work. I love his philosophy about doing what someone needs done, even though he was often the victim of some scheme or another. All in all, a really good read.

This year's Extreme Rules will be in Seattle, Washington. Starbucks is pretty extreme...

Mickie James was interviewed. Nothing really groundbreaking. I certainly wouldn't mind AJ vs. Mickie at Mania, but I don't know of any plans for it.

NPR looked at the passing of Mae Young. I hope I'm up for going through a table when I'm a senior citizen.

WWE.com caught up with Gene Snitsky. He was involved in some rather bizarre stuff in his time there. Clever to plug WWE Network at the end.

Kevin Nash sparked some buzz with a recent makeover. After his terrible return in 2011, I really hope he doesn't appear in the Rumble.

TNA put out a press release for Lockdown. Kind of odd that Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle aren't mentioned, as they're in the video advertisement. Both of them are under contract past that show, so I don't see why they wouldn't be promoted. I suppose both will be announced in time to drum up interest.

Santino Marella has undergone surgery. I wonder how much longer he can ride his gimmick. You never know.

The Iron Sheik talked about Hulkamania. This needs to be an audiobook. Sheiky Baby is the real legend.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. Yeah, it's not uncommon for a top wrestling organization to do that.

2. I'm guessing they just didn't have any creative plan for her for those shows. It is kind of a shame.

3. It's worth noting that she's still under TNA contract for the time being. It will be interesting to see what happens if it expires before she's ready to return to the ring.

4. WWE can be arbitrary with who gets inducted. They've got to put him in sometime, though. Right?

5. I'm sure that played a role, but it was something of an underwhelming return. You'd think it would make more sense to put Cena in the opening segment and save Batista for the end to build up to his appearance all night.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment